Notices

Last night was horrible

Old 11-27-2016, 12:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Last night was horrible

Last night for the first time (that I remember) I was absolutely bored silly. Saturday night, nothing to do. What I used to do was dive into a bottle of booze and start watching football, I would rarely see the end of the games. I was sorta tempted to drink, but I thought about actually drinking it and it sounded horrible. Never really did like the taste of alcohol, and since I've been sober my taste buds have woken up and like food (too much). I literally went through my checklist of things I do to stay busy and I was tapped out. Finally I simply crawled in bed with the electric blanket on and watched some TV and went to bed quite early.

Maybe this will help someone, but I did this because I had things I wanted to do today and drinking would have erased that. I did some shopping with my wife (which I despise), went to an open house, and am getting ready to workout. I think sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and deal with the boredom, because the benefits down the road will be many.

To combat this in the future, I am considering buying a game console and all the stuff for car racing. I did it some years back and I actually enjoy it quite it bit. I know the technology has come a long ways and I have a big TV that would be fun to do it on. I am by no means a gamer, but the car racing (and possibly flight simulator) stuff I find fun. Anyone have any suggestions on that front?

Overall my point is that for anyone working hard on quitting and struggling with what to do with the time you used to drink....we simply have to deal with it. The easy thing to do is grab a beer, or pour a glass of wine, or in my case mix a drink, it will alleviate the short term boredom. But if you are an alcoholic like me, it resets everything back to zero and that is not worth it anymore. Done ranting.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You did GREAT.

Old 11-27-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good post.
Old 11-27-2016, 01:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great job on pushing through Jeff, great post!!
Old 11-27-2016, 02:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had a similar feeling on Friday night. Kind of a meltdown really. But I ranted out loud to myself for a bit and got over it. Yeah, sometimes we just gotta be bored. And for me its usually being unsettled, which I label as boredom.

Gaming. Of course my kid loves it. I'm totally lame, can't figure out the controller, let alone play the game. I used to try to play call of duty but with the split screen thing I never knew which soldier I was, or even locate where I was. I did like shooting, changing weapons and then knifing the same guy. Then you can replay it on the killcam. Haha. What has this world come to?
Old 11-27-2016, 02:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
I had a similar feeling on Friday night. Kind of a meltdown really. But I ranted out loud to myself for a bit and got over it. Yeah, sometimes we just gotta be bored. And for me its usually being unsettled, which I label as boredom.

Gaming. Of course my kid loves it. I'm totally lame, can't figure out the controller, let alone play the game. I used to try to play call of duty but with the split screen thing I never knew which soldier I was, or even locate where I was. I did like shooting, changing weapons and then knifing the same guy. Then you can replay it on the killcam. Haha. What has this world come to?
Funny thing is, I'm sure I've been bored on a weekend night at some point in the last year, but last night it bothered me. weird.

I had a one of my guys try to teach me how to play call of duty, I was a total failure.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through and are thinking about what to do next time. Great stuff Jeff

D
Old 11-27-2016, 02:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I like Grand theft auto but like Frickaflip says the controller is too confusing for me to do any of the cool stuff
Old 11-27-2016, 03:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great stuff Thomas.
Waking up hangover free is right up there.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Proactive and positive response Jeff--great work!
Old 11-27-2016, 05:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post! I was really bored during the evening also but did get alot of work done during the day. It's especially tough when the days are so short but i'll find another hobby.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Video games have always been a good outlet for me, be it on the phone or gaming system. I find they keep my mind more occupied than just simply sitting there watching tv or a movie. Also been taking up reading quite a bit which also is helpful.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
The easy thing to do is grab a beer, or pour a glass of wine, or in my case mix a drink, it will alleviate the short term boredom. But if you are an alcoholic like me, it resets everything back to zero and that is not worth it anymore. Done ranting.
Only if you're very lucky.

Doing anything you're interested in doing and either gave up or never tried can make a big difference.

I sometimes feel as though my life is too full, or too "filled," after getting sober. The thought that comes with it fades quickly. And then I ask myself, "What else would you be doing or want to do?" It's sometimes a good idea not to worry over how things can be better when goodness has come into your life, and just keep on going. The question about how things can be better always presents itself without any help from me.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Go see a live football game? I did that yesterday and it killed half of Saturday.
Old 11-28-2016, 05:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I was really worried about being bored before I got sober. Whatever would I do on a Friday or Saturday night when all my friends were out having "fun?" Well, I found that I love my quiet time now. I have gotten good at just being home and finding little things to do to keep me from getting antsy. Even if it's just cleaning out one drawer, cabinet, or closet. Reading. Playing games on my phone. TALKING to my son (14). The time goes fast - and If I'm really bored, I go to bed. Extra sleep never hurt a gal (or guy). When I first got sober, if I was bored I'd take myself to a meeting - I don't go to that many meetings now, but I know they are there if I want or need them. I thought I would need a ton of new hobbies in sobriety, but really, I haven't done much on that front. I just enjoy the feeling of being sober and knowing I can go do anything I want, anytime I want, without worrying about driving drunk or taking up precious drinking time. True freedom.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Hi, Jeff!
Great to see you, and nice work pushing through!

I covet one of those 80's upright video cabinets with all of the classic retro games!!

Do you have an Alano club nearby? We have a few in my area; basically a building where alot of 12-step meetings are held throughout the day/night, but they all have sober activities too. For instance, Eucher every Friday, watch the game on the big screen, trivia night, etc. We have dessert night coming up- and I'll go because- desserts! It's a great way to meet sober people Just an idea for when boredom strikes!
Old 11-28-2016, 10:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Jeff: Actually when you come to think of it isn't drinking really boring? Well maybe not drinking with "friends". But is that not an illusion? I've heard of folks who filmed what the conversation was like at a real "party" and when they looked at themselves when sober, they couldn't believe that they were really being "funny". Some "friends" egging them on to get them really drunk, others so drunk themselves that they weren't funny at all. Just pathetic.
Alcoholism is certainly not "boring" in other ways. Plenty of DUI's. Maybe someone killed every now and then and a long prison sentence in a prison which is unfortunately not "boring" at all (like gang warfare). Broken marriages, mixed up kids, lost jobs. "Not boring" at all!

W.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thomas - a good post. Not into video games but have started Yoga again, which has the dual advantage of keeping me fit and out of the house.
Having the time free to do things has generally been a bonus, but you do have to think about what you want to do instead.
I'd rather that dilemma than rushing out of bed in the morning, hungover and having to think about dealing with the bottles etc from the night before.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Great post! I needed to read this one. Boredom is the hardest thing for me right now. Going to bed early seems the best option most nights.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

i presume it was the shopping that you despise, and not the wife? LOL

I did some shopping with my wife (which I despise)

boredom is a strange beast.....we can be in the same house as we were yesterday, same room, same time of day, same everything, and suddenly find it all so dreadfully dull and useless, that we'd almost rather just toss a match to it all.

other days we want to hug the fridge. and give pet names to the dust bunnies.

Hank is borderline obsessed with the WGT Golf app......he only plays 3 holes at a time, since a full 18 is WAY more than his attention span could endure. he plays it on the tablet he got ME for Chistmas last year, no what nots needed.