Notices

Drugs gave me wings ......

Old 11-27-2016, 10:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drugs gave me wings ......

This is from my Sober App it really is so true. Day 6 of my recovery and I'm trying to remind myself where that first drug 17 years ago has led me today, and if I can't stay clean this time then I literally lose everything for a second and probably last time.

Drugs gave me wings to fly then took away the sky

(Big Book) We used drugs because they worked the first time we tried them. They may have made us sick, but they did something much more important. They made us not care about not getting our way. They took away the fear, anger, and resentment. Every time we used, we wanted the same effect (escape), but they worked less effectively each time until they just made the pain immediately worse. But by then we needed help to stop because our bodies had become psychologically and physically dependent. Drugs had allowed us to fly to nowhere but then they made nowhere hell.

Follow the urge to use through to its bitter end by remembering where that first drink or drug ultimately took you.

SoberTool App
Old 11-27-2016, 10:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very good quote and if you will pardon the metaphor, a tough pill to swallow. The reason for my last relapse was I remember only that alcohol made me happy. And it does. But I forgot where the road leads.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey...
posted on your thread in SA forum. Just wanted to tell you you are almost there. The first 2 weeks are the worst. Wanted to tell you too that you arent alone. Im an opiate addict too and am on day 1 again.
Its going to be ok. Just put one foot in front of the other, and try to do anything you can not to think about the pills. Anything. Easier said than done i know. Believe me when i tell you i know exactly how you feel. I truly do.
Welcome to SR.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I thought being drunk and high was happiness too.
What it actually was was the temporary absence of angst.

I've learned to deal with that angst sober and in turn I've found true and lasting, real, genuine, happiness, joy and peace

D
Old 11-27-2016, 03:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Drugs gave me wings to fly then took away the sky

fairyeyes03, love that!, I have never heard that quote before, it is so true.
Breaking free of the destructive cycle once and for all is possible.
Congratulations on day 6. It gets easier as the days go by. : )