Notices

Hello

Old 11-26-2016, 11:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

I signed up for SR just now. I have been reading the posts since yesterday. I'm on day two now. I have found such amazing stories on here and I can relate so much. I am looking forward to starting to feel better. Over the past several months I have turned to whiskey at night. I have a beautiful family and I can't keep down this road. So this next week I'm off work and I'm doing a supervised detox.

I look forward to supporting and cheering you all on.

All I can do now is take it moment by moment and look forward to when I'll feel better. Your tips and thoughts on surviving detox is much welcomed.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello

And I am going to do AA as well.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck Nat - as you have seen, there is a lot of support here - keep posting
Old 11-26-2016, 11:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello

Originally Posted by teaorcoffee View Post
Good luck Nat - as you have seen, there is a lot of support here - keep posting
Thanks so much teaorcoffee! I will. Just looking forward to getting these symptoms behind me and continuing with this great group of people!
Old 11-26-2016, 11:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi, NatVT, and welcome to SR. By supervised detox, do you mean supervised by a doctor, or do you mean having a loved one nearby at all times to monitor you? I hope you mean by a doctor. If not, please strongly consider it.

I'm still adjusting my recovery plan as I've had a few relapses since I joined in September, so I'm probably not qualified to give any real advice. I'm starting day 6 now again myself, and am hanging close to SR, since this is about the time I start to get real cravings, just as I'm feeling much better.

I wish you well in your recovery, and hope to see you around SR in the days and weeks to come.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello

[QUOTE=SoberLifeForMe;6222619]Hi, NatVT, and welcome to SR. By supervised detox, do you mean supervised by a doctor, or do you mean having a loved one nearby at all times to monitor you? I hope you mean by a doctor. If not, please strongly consider it

Hi SoberLifeForMe,

I have a call into my PCP. I have been hesitant to go to the ED, since I actually work there. But, I will if needed. I have seen many a patient come through. My wife is a healthcare professional and she is supervising and I have Ativan also. So we have been doing the CIWA scale. I should be the first person to go to the ED, but I guess it's pride or embarrassment. I expect my PCP to call me later this morning.

Good luck to you. Did you go cold turkey ever or has it always been supervised?
Old 11-27-2016, 12:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi!
Good on you for taking next week to detox, setting yourself up for success!
Best of luck to you.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've done both. I also use the CIWA scale when self-detoxing. The time I had help from a doctor, I thought I was going to die, and my heart rate and BP must have made her think the same, from her reaction. Hopefully won't be going through it ever again, but if I do, I've lost my pride about not going to the doctor. I'd rather live to try again than push my luck too far and pay the ultimate price.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Is this detox self medicated- or by referral from a qualified doctor? Welcome. Do you see this detox as a clean up your act and then drink alcohol again? Needing detox I would think for me- no. Keep posting, PJ
Old 11-27-2016, 12:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello

Originally Posted by starstarstar View Post
Hi!
Good on you for taking next week to detox, setting yourself up for success!
Best of luck to you.
Hi starstarstar,

thank you! I'm so happy I found this forum and I look forward to better days ahead!
Old 11-27-2016, 12:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Is this detox self medicated- or by referral from a qualified doctor? Welcome. Do you see this detox as a clean up your act and then drink alcohol again? Needing detox I would think for me- no. Keep posting, PJ
No this is it for me. I'm not going back to that after this hell. I need to get better and I'm going to start meetings. For right now I am doing bedrest, plenty of fluids, vitamins, medications if needed. I'm in the process of getting in touch with my doctor.

I can't imagine going through again. I have never reallly detoxed before. Last time I just stopped drinking but a drank less. I am going to work the program.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello

Originally Posted by SoberLifeForMe View Post
I've done both. I also use the CIWA scale when self-detoxing. The time I had help from a doctor, I thought I was going to die, and my heart rate and BP must have made her think the same, from her reaction. Hopefully won't be going through it ever again, but if I do, I've lost my pride about not going to the doctor. I'd rather live to try again than push my luck too far and pay the ultimate price.
You're so right. Pride is a silly think when you're life is at stake. If I don't hear from my doc I'm just going to go to the ED tomorrow. My vital signs have all been fine. My only real issue right now has been insomnia and light anxiety.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

First time I tried to detox by myself- cold turkey, my son found me on the couch having a seizure.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hello

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
First time I tried to detox by myself- cold turkey, my son found me on the couch having a seizure.
PhoenixJ,

That was your first time ever detoxing? How long post last drink was it? My doctor is coming over to visit me. I actually got almost 4 hours of sleep and woke up feeling okay. But, it's not worth the risk. I realize this. And I don't want to have my wife have to watch me like a hawk.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum NatVT!!
Old 11-27-2016, 08:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PurpleKnight View Post
Welcome to the Forum NatVT!!
Thank you! I'm so glad I found it. It's been such a gift to me already PurpleKnight!
Old 11-27-2016, 01:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Nav- it was a few years ago at home, our nice 'things like that do not happen to NORMAL' people home. I had abstained from alcohol for about 24 hours. The hunger grows in the making.PJ
Old 11-27-2016, 01:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=PhoenixJ;6223126]Nav- it was a few years ago at home, our nice 'things like that do not happen to NORMAL' people home. I had abstained from alcohol for about 24 hours. The hunger grows in the making.PJ[/QUOTE

I know that home. I have the same type of home. I'm glad that my head is beginning to feel clearer. I am in this for the long haul. I have been working on my recovery plan.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to have you here NatVT. Let us know what th e Dr says

D
Old 11-27-2016, 02:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to meet you, NatVT. This is a wonderful place for encouragement as you prepare to begin a better life. You can do it. You're never alone.