Notices

Hello, nervous newbie

Old 11-26-2016, 06:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello, nervous newbie

Hi there, I can't believe it's come to this. But I'm in a bad place with my drinking. I'm scared and fearful that I can't make it. My drinking has been getting worse and worse recently. I've been to rehab before but I've since relapsed. I don't know what to do with myself. I'm at a loss. I hope I can beat this, but I'm feeling beaten up by it. My job is on a knife edge with all my drinking. I know I need to stop. I can see everything I've worked hard for being destroyed. I'm on Day 1, I need something like this for accountability. I've tried AA in the past but felt like it made me worse some how. I don't know what other options there are.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LostBee View Post

My job is on a knife edge with all my drinking. I know I need to stop.

I can see everything I've worked hard for being destroyed.

I've tried AA in the past but felt like it made me worse some how. I don't know what other options there are.
I have known many drunks who lost everything.
You need not be one.
But, for most of us sober ones there was much work involved.

Besides AA there are several different Christian programs.
Church has helped many?
Others also seen here on site.

M-Bob
Old 11-26-2016, 07:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome!

There is a way back from this. I'm 40-odd days sober and I've lost numerous jobs and been a right state for a long while on my quest to moderate and control my drinking.

The thing is, this is your day one and that's fantastic! We all start with that first sober hour, day etc.

I can only share my experience and when I first went to AA 3 years ago, I didn't like it. I went back about 40 days ago and I'm doing 90 in 90. AA isn't for everyone and there's a lot of other options out there. A friend of mine is a huge fan of the Rational Recovery book (AVRT) and I've heard of SMART recovery as well. I'm someone that isolates and for me, the AA community has been incredibly important to break that habit. Get some support from wherever you feel comfortable.

In the meantime, be kind to yourself. This is a new way of life and you only have to deal with this minute sober. Take it bit by bit
Old 11-26-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

you are not alone. it's amazing how much alike we all are. very tuff at first. hang in there. keep posting.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recovered

Welcome! You are not alone. There are many paths to recovery. Read around here and maybe something will resonate with you.

I will say this: MAKE. A. PLAN.

Make a plan and then execute the plan. Each day. I still follow the plan I made when I found SR in 2009.

Glad you are here.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi there, I can't believe it's come to this. But I'm in a bad place with my drinking. I'm scared and fearful that I can't make it. My drinking has been getting worse and worse recently. I've been to rehab before but I've since relapsed. I don't know what to do with myself. I'm at a loss. I hope I can beat this, but I'm feeling beaten up by it. My job is on a knife edge with all my drinking. I know I need to stop. I can see everything I've worked hard for being destroyed. I'm on Day 1, I need something like this for accountability. I've tried AA in the past but felt like it made me worse some how. I don't know what other options there are.
Lostbee
The fact that you found this forum is a sign that you are headed in the right direction......WELCOME
Old 11-26-2016, 07:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Lostbee! Welcome! I am a newbie here as well. I am on day 50 alcohol free today though. I tried out AA as well and went to about 20 sessions maybe more. I met some really nice people but I am not sure it is 100% for me either. I am undecided but will keep going on days I really feel like a drink because the stories really get me back on track. It is good to be around people who know how you are feeling. This support board will be great too I am sure as an added tool since I used to drink at home alone and I use my computer when home alone. I second what the others have said about maybe trying SMART recovery or church. Good luck!
Old 11-26-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi lostbee, you at a fork in the road. You can either buckle up and get sober and work hard to stay that way, or go into free fall losing everything dear to you. There are others in this forum much smarter than myself that can help you, but I like to break things down to basics. And that is how I see it based on what you've described. As MM Bob said, you need not lose everything.
Old 11-26-2016, 02:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mfanch View Post
Welcome! You are not alone. There are many paths to recovery. Read around here and maybe something will resonate with you.

I will say this: MAKE. A. PLAN.

Make a plan and then execute the plan. Each day. I still follow the plan I made when I found SR in 2009.

Glad you are here.
Yep!!! Me too, since Feb 22, 2016. Every day of my life is different but every one includes the same things- recovery work.

My plan is AA and I went after kicking and screaming for years. It is the best thing I have ever done. Other folks use SMART and different programs but we all stay sober- have the best chance of that AND a better life that involves more than just not drinking- when we take action.

You can do it.
Old 11-26-2016, 02:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to have you with us, LostBee. Being here & posting regularly helped me stay vigilant. You're in good company - and you never have to feel alone. Welcome!
Old 11-26-2016, 03:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

LB-welcome and thankyou for sharing. I had a rock bottom with steroids. I agree with everything posted here. I go to AA, although all of it is not for me. I go to SMART although all of it is not for me. I see a psychology, have an addiction counsellor- but everything they say..... I go with an open mind. It is not bible class- take what I want, leave what I find not useful. AA is not perfect. Some people have this notion it is all 'old timers' with 9000 years sobriety what rant off huge quotes from the prophet Bill W and the holy AA bible- the big book. Any group of people have good points and some not so useful. Do not try something and then dismiss it 'because it was not for you'. It is about every person going to any group setting to see worth in it if they want to. Some people embrace religion. Day 1 for you, don't drink. Get physically healthy and make a plan, don't just wander about hoping for something to click- takes hard work and support. Keep posting, PJ.
Old 11-26-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. The awesome support here has helped me stay sober nearly seven years. I hope we can do the same for you.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum LostBee!!
Old 11-27-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Lostbee,

You're doing the best thing to reach out. I'm going into day 3. I'm feeling better but am still nervous with fear and anxiety. This forum has been a great help to me already. In fact, when I get crippled with anxiety I come on her and read and comment. Make a plan, the past is behind you. Call in support if it's available. Keep posting.

We are in this together. No matter where we are on our road to recovery.