An SR Thanksgiving!

Old 11-24-2016, 02:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

An SR Thanksgiving!

So, I our 36 pound bird has been cooking for a while, and I'm up early peeling potatoes chopping vegetables and helping Honeypig set up that old pole barn. (She chose an excellent location!)

There's room in the kitchen for everyone to bring their contributions, pick up a glass of iced tea, sparkling water, or whatever, and join the party! Although not particularly "Thanksgiving-y", the weather is going to be sunny with a high of 75 here today.

I haven't been having a brilliant time lately, but I am grateful:
- for an opportunity to spend a little time with my stepdaughter, SIL, and their kids today.
- for this amazing, un-fall-like weather.
- for a long conversation I had with a dear friend last night.
- for the roof over my head and the food on my table.
- for my job (some who want one don't have one right now).
- for friends and neighbors who are amazingly kind and support me always.
- for my parents and my sister, even though I can't be with them today.

So, get your pies, rolls, sweet potatoes, fish tacos, whatever, out of the oven and come on down!!! There is a seat here waiting for you
Old 11-24-2016, 02:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a wonderful day Thanksgiving people

D
Old 11-24-2016, 05:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thank you, Dee!

Old 11-24-2016, 07:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Seren!!!
I'm "co" cooking part of your bird at my house today. Got the Glenn Miller channel on Pandora, having coffee and going to install the innards in my 1/4" scale model of St. Francis Catholic church.
One thing I am so thankful for is all you folks and SR!!!!
Old 11-24-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I woke up this morning feeling pretty good for the first time in weeks. There are still things for me to stress about, and no doubt I will, but today I'm going to try to focus on a sense of gratitude and hope.

I'm grateful for my home, when so many don't have one. Mine has its issues, but I have a roof over my head, heat, food in my pantry and fridge, comfortable rooms to live in.

I'm grateful for my job, which I often overcomplicate. I have terrific coworkers who have my back when I need it.

I'm grateful for my family, even though I won't be spending the holiday with them. My kids are doing well, I have a lovely relationship with their dad and stepmom (will be visiting everyone at Christmas), and my dad and stepmom are settled into their new home in assisted living (that they are loving). We got their home in Arizona sold this week (closing) and that went pretty smoothly (though there was a roof replacement involved).

I'm grateful for my sobriety, without which I would have none of these things. I'm having some angst over leaving my home group and finding another, but taking some time to think it all through and ultimately it will work out.

I'm grateful for my new church family I'm getting to know. As a result of feeling very upset and depressed over the election, I decided I need some community around me (gets rather isolated working from home most of the time), and I've started attending a very welcoming and tolerant church.

I'm grateful for having my pension and some money in the bank, so hopefully I will be able to retire someday without burdening others financially.

Hope everyone else has a warm and wonderful holiday. And even if you can't quite manage that, try to find things to appreciate in your life. Gratitude can't always be switched on, on command. It has to be practiced, and it gets easier with time.

Hugs!
Old 11-24-2016, 10:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

now i know why i woke up in the middle of the night panicked about the STUFFING! i'd best get busy!!!

very grateful for all the SR Lovelies!
Old 11-24-2016, 11:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!
Old 11-24-2016, 11:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am a lousy cook. No really. So rather than torment anybody with my cooking I went down the street to the lunch truck and picked up 20lbs of sushi tacos. They will make a good side dish.

What to give thanks for? So many things.

- Lots of good friends all over the country that I have managed to keep in touch with.

- One good friend in particular, with whom I had a long convo last night. She's a real life "Indiana Jones" with a job full of adventures. A more modern version of that character, instead of a bull-whip she wields a chain-saw

- Good doctors and medical here in town that have kept me in relative good health.

- People at my meetings who have shared their lives and served as an example of how to deal with life's chaos.

- All you lovely folks here on SR. It is the kindness and compassion you all show every single day that has made SR such a haven on the web.

Mike
Old 11-24-2016, 03:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
now i know why i woke up in the middle of the night panicked about the STUFFING! i'd best get busy!!!

very grateful for all the SR Lovelies!

I hope you bought enough bread, Anvil!

Sushi tacos are almost like fish tacos, Mike, depending on the roll! And thank you

Now who was going to make those pies?? I love pie!
Old 11-24-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Last thanksgiving decided I'd rather spend thanksgiving with my mom then AH. So I brought her thanksgiving and cooked for her. This year I got a call Tuesday sounding like mom was dying, it was a false alarm though she is deteriorating. I cooked and brought her thanksgiving. I'm thankful I got one more thanksgiving with my mom.
Old 11-24-2016, 05:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Two words:

Food Coma

Old 11-24-2016, 05:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm fixing the coffee now...decaf or regular? French press? Drip? Pod?

I'll start with plain old decaf drip, and if I have to dust of the Espresso machine, I will....
Old 11-24-2016, 06:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am SO thankful for those I have in my life and for finally weeding out the toxic ones (including my A sister who is also a N) and feeling zero guilt. I am grateful for my good job that allows me to travel the world and embrace other cultures- something I wish everyone could do to get outside of this US bubble so many of us live in. I am thankful for my 2nd husband who I would never have met if it wasn't for my 1st husband's "kindness" to divorce me because he said I deserved better than him (but of course I didn't know it at the time). And I am so grateful for my rescue dogs who provide me with more unconditional love than I could ever imagine. My day has been very full and happy and I love you all here on SR!
Old 11-25-2016, 01:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to come to the party late, but work has been very busy (54 hours last week, 42 in 4 days this week). Also BIL (of sis who died of breast cancer several years ago) was kind enough to invite me and my dogs for breakfast; he works a random schedule for the railroad so we've begun getting together if our weird hours coincide on holidays.

So if it's not too late, I'll offer a few sweet treats from the bakery I work at (oh, and they are all scratch-baked, too):

Boston Cream Cupcakes

German Apple Tart

And the traditional Pumpkin Pie, w/a slightly out-of-focus Pumpkin Turtle Cheesecake in the background:

I'm so grateful for all of you who've walked beside me on my recovery journey and cared for me in my worst as well as best moments. It will be 4 years in March since I was blessed to find this place and my life has really changed since then.

Mere words cannot express my gratitude--have a cup of Seren's coffee and a slice of pie, tart or cheesecake, or one of those sinful little muffins!
Old 11-25-2016, 02:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Perfect treats to go with the coffee, honeypig! Thank you for bringing them and thank you for being part of SR!
Old 11-25-2016, 02:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Love hearing about your Thanksgiving, especially the food bit. I hope you're all recovering from your food comas now, and have great plans for the left-overs.

Question: do you go all out for Christmas as well, or is it an anti-climax after Thanksgiving?
Old 11-25-2016, 02:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi FG! Well, some folks go all out from pretty much Halloween until New Years Day, some don't. There can be a lot of food for Christmas family gatherings as well...kind of like Thanksgiving with glitter.
Old 11-25-2016, 03:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

- I am grateful I am still alive AND sober
- I am grateful to all the people who have helped me through this year
- I am grateful for my AA sponsor
- I am grateful my alcohol abuse did not destroy my brain cells (post booze burns plus hospital drugs for pain they thought I was a vegetable- the 'K' DISEASE).
- I am grateful I am growing spiritually and doing everything I can to be a better person every day including forgiveness, acceptance and compassion to others.
- I am grateful for all the real people here at SR. My home group at present.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanksgiving is kind of the "warm up lap" for Christmas!! those who did turkey for T-day usually opt for a nice ham or a roast with different side dishes and goodies. some might host the big get-together on Christmas Eve, with gift exchange after dinner. many families have their own Christmas morning, usually pretty early if there are small children that have been waiting for Santa! parents will stay up late the night before and put all the gifts under the tree. and then head off to grandma's (or whomever) later in the day. some might have 2 or 3 stops to make!!
Old 11-25-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

* self <= is eyeing the deserts *

* self is diabetic and really should not partake of the deserts *

* self thinks maybe just one bite won't hurt ..... *

Mike