Notices

Confused over liver function test

Old 11-22-2016, 04:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Confused over liver function test

Hi all im new here. im a 33 year old female . With no health problems. ive been a heavy drinker for 10 years. in may had a routine blood test all normal apart from liver function it was 84 . I realise this was the alcohol. i has retest after 4 weeks during this period i cut down on drinking bit didn't stop. results where liver function had gone down to 67 but another enzyme relating to alchol damage was 121. So they said retest 3-6 mths . During this time I have dramaticly cut down on alcohol but did still drink most weekends . for the last 2 mths ive only had 2 nights where ive had 8 cans and the last time was 3 week ago. so was expecting results to be good. blood results where the 121 has gone down to 102 but the overall liver function has gone from 67 up to 78. so worried as it should have gone down
Old 11-22-2016, 04:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you want normal liver test results, I think you're going to have to stop drinking altogether. Just drinking on weekends is still drinking and is still bad for your health.

I'd advise getting sober for good and for real.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi thanks for reply. Yes this is my aim to stay sober and i have for 3 weeks and very determined. I feel so much better for it. Was just confused as to why it hasnt gone down ( am a little disheartened if im honest)
Old 11-22-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Dani!!
Old 11-22-2016, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi purple thank you
Old 11-22-2016, 04:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Dani and congratulations on 3 weeks!!! We're not allowed to give medical advice, and I'm not, but I've read from several people here that the liver function test may take a while to come back down.

The best way I've heard it explained is that most of us have spent years abusing our bodies with alcohol and/or drugs. The body is amazing, but it can't undo years of abuse in a short time.

Personally, I see it as as your liver is saying "hey! I'm a bit overwhelmed from all this alcohol and I need some help!" Three weeks is great, so keep it up and give your liver time.

Amy
Old 11-22-2016, 04:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Having liver issues at an early age should be taken as a serious warning.

Please take care of yourself.

M-Bob
Old 11-22-2016, 08:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Dani,

Welcome to the forum, and great job at three weeks. I'm sure your LFT will be greatly impacted by remaining sober for the next few months and then repeating it. Health is definitely a great motivator for sobriety!
Old 11-22-2016, 09:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had bad liver function tests. I stopped drinking completely and they were normal when I had it done again a year later.

No more alcohol.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dani, it's so great that you recognized the need to quit entirely, at least until everything comes out better. I love the advice from everyone here, it's about getting into an attitude that redefines your thinking about alcohol, amazing how little we really need it! I went from shared drinking of at least two magnums of wine a night for 27 years to nothing. My liver is better and I don't miss it.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for replys. feel much better now hearing them. im always worried and anxious about most things to the point that some stuff i cant stop thinking about, this being one of them. which again i feel is down to booze! ik try not to worry and give it more time thanks again
Old 11-23-2016, 03:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dani83 View Post
Thanks everyone for replys. feel much better now hearing them. im always worried and anxious about most things to the point that some stuff i cant stop thinking about, this being one of them. which again i feel is down to booze! ik try not to worry and give it more time thanks again
Dani
Keep up the good work most people who drink have anxiety issues which disappear when you stop drinking.....sometimes it takes months to go away be patient
Old 11-23-2016, 05:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dani83 View Post
Anxiety and compulsive thinking (obsessing) are trademark alcohol thinking. My only solution is to use my program tools to take action to get myself out of them when they crop up. Think of others- do for others- read my BB- talk to my sponsor (run the situation by her, for example), etc.

I also believe that the body conditions ebb and flow (see the recently bumped thread on PAWS). My liver functions, for example, were back to the smack middle of normal by the 90-ish day retests. Amazing and awesome. However, I continue to have some PAWS symptoms, albeit minor and very livable ones, as my body keeps on healing still here at just 9 mo. I don't believe it's a perfect "up trajectory," just like healing the body from anything else.

Not drinking, ever, is my solution. Permanently. Good luck and keep going.