Notices

Getting through the Wall

Old 11-21-2016, 01:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting through the Wall

Hi,

I am in early recovery (day 77) and I feel that over the past few weeks I have hit the wall. I am tired a lot of time time and am not motivated to do a lot. I don't know if I am happy or sad, but I am definitely feeling emotions a lot more than I used to.

What I was wondering is, if there are any good ways of helping to cope with this. My life was slowly coming together, but I am unmotivated to work or look for work at the moment, and I really need to, so I can pay bills and keep my apartment. I'm was doing odd jobs a few weeks ago and did not have difficulty lining them up and this kept me in the green. I have pretty much stopped doing this over the past week and have to push myself to leave the house. I have noticed the below changes, and would be very grateful if anyone can give me some guidance to help me push through this stage. I am doing obvious things I shouldn't but I just cant seem to make myself keep my good habits.

1. I used to exercise more regularly. My exercise is reduced by 75%, I cant motivate myself to go running.
2. I spend all my time procrastinating. I spent an hour lying in bed deciding if I would purchase or make coffee
3.I'm not focused on job hunting, and I was a few weeks ago. I procrastinate about evening thinking about it.
4. My diet is not as good as it was a few weeks ago. I am eating more sugar, less veg and drinking less water.
3. I still attend meetings regularly. Some days I go to 2 meetings.

Thanks
Old 11-21-2016, 01:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I do remember not knowing if I was happy or sad in the early days. I found that deciphering and managing emotions was new to me.

I do think you should cut yourself some slack. You have achieved 77 days of sobriety and that's a great thing. But, I understand you being concerned about your lack of motivation. What worked for me was making lists. I would list things I wanted/needed to do in a week and I would make sure I could cross off one or two things each day. Doing that, helped me to appreciate that I was moving forward. As you said, job hunting is very important right now, so make a plan to rework your resume, to apply to online jobs each day, to make calls to places where you've applied.

You may be in a slump at the moment, but you don't have to remain there.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Syndicki!!
Old 11-21-2016, 08:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

wow I really relate to this.

I'm only at 102 days, so my advice isn't much, but I did have this recently.

I really got a lot from reading Sarah Hepola's book, "Blackout" and especially her description of getting sober, no matter what. Same with "Dry" by Augusten Burroughs.

Recently I was eating like crap, not getting out the door to work, not exercising.

1. It's no reason to drink. Drinking will not help this problem.
2. In my case, there's a lot of feelings happening. I'm getting sober, figuring out who I actually am. I feel like part of that is being in a cocoon.
3. When I realized that I really had to put the nose to the grind at work, I did and I killed it. Knocked it out of the park. In a way I never could have while drinking. The feelings behind the lack of motivation/paralysis/depression that was going on, just kicked into gear.

I'm being nice to myself right now. It's hard because I had this vision of a new, skinnier, obviously healthier, wildly successful person I would be sober... but I'm just me, working through my stuff, bit by bit, day by day. It's much better than where I was though.