Notices

A question about relapse

Old 11-21-2016, 10:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A question about relapse

Hello,
I have drank on the 64 th day of my sobriety. I was feeling good and said what the hell. Than i realized i forgot that i was an alcoholic... Anyway i was able to stop drinking on the 3rd day and i am 10 days sober now.
My question is will i have to go through all that process with the same intensity? Cause i am feeling anxious which i almost had none before i drank.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'd be inclined to feel that relapse is part of recovery. Can you imagine if we all could stop whatever we start just like that? I'd have stopped smoking 20 years ago!

I'd say be kind to yourself. You dipped back into the old world and remembered why you wanted to ckme back into the new world. You're doing just fine.

The anxiety I'd guess was part of the guilt I'd guess you're carrying with you for dipping back out for a bit. But in my self delusion world I think that shows a sense of stength and I'd be proud of yourself actually because you're making it.

Keep on keeping on. It's perfectly normal to check out once. You're back on track. Xx
Old 11-21-2016, 11:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by blackened83 View Post
Hello,
I have drank on the 64 th day of my sobriety. I was feeling good and said what the hell. Than i realized i forgot that i was an alcoholic... Anyway i was able to stop drinking on the 3rd day and i am 10 days sober now.
My question is will i have to go through all that process with the same intensity? Cause i am feeling anxious which i almost had none before i drank.
Yep, unfortunately subsequent withdrawals can be as bad, and many times worse than the last time.

Perhaps this time you could try some kind of formal recovery program so you don't "forget" that you are an alcoholic?
Old 11-21-2016, 11:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Drink lots of water, get good rest if you can. The anxiety should fade away in a bit. Congrats on getting back on the sober bus. You won't be sorry. Peace.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't believe that relapse is part of recovery.

I'm glad to hear that you're back and working on your recovery. I don't know if you will have to go through withdrawals again. I guess time will tell. Do take care of yourself and hopefully your anxiety will diminish soon.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm with Anna on this one.

And as Scott said, we go through the suffering of quitting again every time we start over.

What kind of a program will you choose to work now to make this your last first time?
Old 11-21-2016, 11:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Only way to avoid withdrawals is to never drink again.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by Anna View Post

this is (i have) a serious and fatal disease

for me to drink is to die

my sobriety date is the most important thing in my life

Old 11-21-2016, 03:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome back Backened!! Great job on Day 10!!
Old 11-21-2016, 04:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well, how are you feeling Day 10 this time around compared to Day 10 the first time you quit? There's your answer. Unfortunately, I think anxiety is part of the equation no matter what.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
AA member

Relapse is not part of Recovery.

If you drink again the withdrawals are likely to be worse,Alcoholism is relentlessly progressive.

Congratulations on 10 days sobriety,you need never drink again and your life will get better.

Wishing you well.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes. It will be the same, or worse, each time you drink again. Guaranteed.

I delayed my recovery by a lot because I didn't know this.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Yep, unfortunately subsequent withdrawals can be as bad, and many times worse than the last time.

Perhaps this time you could try some kind of formal recovery program so you don't "forget" that you are an alcoholic?
Why is it worse when you relapse?
Old 11-21-2016, 06:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post

I'm glad to hear that you're back and working on your recovery. I don't know if you will have to go through withdrawals again. I guess time will tell. Do take care of yourself and hopefully your anxiety will diminish soon.
Anna
I believe it can be not everyone's experience in recovery is the same.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blackened83 View Post
Hello,
I don't know the answer to your question, but I will share my experience. Yes, you will have to go through it again, and it will be at least the same intensity if not worse because of the guilt. Once I reached a certain point in my drinking, it didn't matter if I didn't drink for 3 days or 15 days, if I got drunk, a price was to be paid. Good for you on getting back to it.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by SWTPEA61 View Post
Why is it worse when you relapse?
I don't think there is true scientific answer to that question, but it's true. Some people call it "Kindling" but whatever you call it you see it happen over and over again. Basically what the rule of thumb shows is that every time you go back to drinking it progresses more quickly and withdrawal increases in severity. Personally I ended up in the ER for heart palpitations and dangerously high blood pressure the last time I tried quit on my own, and I had not had either previous times. The extreme is that some people start having seizures, mini strokes and of course DT's

There's also rhe psychological toll, your mind and resolve simply gets worn out with subsequent periods of bingeing.

As it relates to all of us though, the OP included is that it's 100% preventable. This can be the last time anyone has to go through it if the truly don't want to.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I don't think there is true scientific answer to that question, but it's true. Some people call it "Kindling" but whatever you call it you see it happen over and over again. Basically the rule of thunb shows is that every time you go back to drinking it progresses more quickly and withdrawal increases in severity. Personaly I ended up in the ER for heart palpitations and dangerously high blood pressure the last time I tried quit on my own, and I had not had either previous times. The extreme is that some people stare having seizures, mini strokes and of course DT's

There's also rhe psychological toll, your mind and resolve simply gets worn out with subsequent periods of bingeing.

As it relates to all of us though, the OP included is that it's 100% preventable. This can be the last time anyone had to go through it if the truly don't want to.
Great reminder. Great job helping others tonight.

I am not feeling like a relapse was coming, just feeling blue about work nonsense.

Thanks.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SWTPEA61 View Post
Anna
I believe it can be not everyone's experience in recovery is the same.
Sure it is part of some people's recovery. Speaking for my own belief on this, when I say relapse doesn't have to be part of recovery, I mean the following:
Saying it is a part of recovery means you are leaving the option to drink again open.
That is a non starter for me- the choice is always on me and not drinking is permanent . Full stop. No matter what, at any cost, too any lengths.
No one ever knows they will get one more chance at sobriety.

So, yes, relapse is common but it is absolutely not necessary. I want to be sober more than I want to drink, period.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Doh. I fell for the tripe my counsellor said when I was quitting h when I said about relapse is part of recovery.
I don't mean that as a green light to go use again but about forgiving yourself when you stuff up because guilt can stop you getting back onto the road again.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've heard professionals use the line too Rea11y so don't feel bad.

I do agree it's pretty counter productive to endlessly beat yourself tho - learn from your mistakes and move on is always best

D