Notices

What's the most positive change in you since getting freedom?

Old 11-21-2016, 10:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What's the most positive change in you since getting freedom?

I'm looking forward to creating my own list of positive changes in my life, but at Day 11, I've got a long way to go! Can anyone share how their life has positively changed from quitting drinking? Did you lose weight, gain courage to leave a dysfunctional relationship, start loving yourself, get a huge promotion, save money to take a fabulous trip, etc?
Old 11-21-2016, 10:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Only day five for me but aside from looking and feeling hugely better, its the look in my daughter's eyes (trust). She likes to sit and chat, watch tv, moan about her friends etc etc with me now (feeling totally confident that I wont have forgotten it all in the morning). She is present in my day to day life as I am sure she now feels I am in hers. There is no better reward for me.

Last edited by SummerBee; 11-21-2016 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Emoji
Old 11-21-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not there yet bit I'm excited to see my skin improve and learn what to do with the energy on drink to get rid of.

Love the comment about daughter trust.x
Old 11-21-2016, 11:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Three years sober. There have been many changes for the better. The one that jumps out is that I am not anxious anymore. I used to get these butterflies in the stomach feelings for absolutely no reason. That is gone. It was the drink.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm on day 36 of alcohol free living. My anxiety is way down and my face looks less bloated. I've lost a pound or two. I have been much more productive and feel there are more hours in a day. Good luck on your path!
Old 11-21-2016, 11:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nine months sober today.

So many positive changes, it's often hard to believe....
I look better than ever- people who haven't seen me in awhile cannot believe the changes.
I laugh open and often.
I am a much better listener.
I sleep well. I still have to pay attention to fatigue (mental and physical) and I can do that consistently now that I am sober.

I have peace in my life. I can handle the challenges much better, and take actions and make choices that result in good things.

My spiritual life is strong and growing each day.

I'm in a terrific relationship with someone I deserve, and I am someone he deserves.

My brother has come a long way in forgiving me for our huge falling out five years ago and we are getting to know each other again.

Plenty more.

And it has continued to get better the longer I keep staying sober.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The most rewarding things that have happened have been between my ears. The mind is at peace, there is serenity and I feel liberated since I don't constantly have "a drink" on my mind. Physically I have not been in this good of shape since my early 30's (I'm 49). I have been sober a year.

To be honest, any of the things I describe to someone relatively new is hard to explain. I read about these things when I was new to not drinking, and I imagined in my head what they would feel like. But my verbal description does not do it justice. It has to be experienced for yourself, and for me that took around 9-10 months before I truly felt it.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I dont know how to say it right, but spiritual fulfilness for me. For so long have been empty and lost, but slowly Im letting divine intervention guide me - if it makes sense.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Three years sober. I became far less focused on myself and became more able to care for others.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am a nicer person sober. I look better, certainly happier. I take very good care of my dogs and cats now. I get outside more for all our dog walks we take.

I sleep much better and wake up feeling good.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Day 8 for me. The most positive change for me so far is how much less anxiety and depression I have.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just past 22 months sober myself.

One thing that jumps out, is that while drinking i wouldn't eat...At all.

Rehab taught me that regular/healthy snacks/meals are VERY important to sustained recovery.

I'm actually growing to LOVE food again. The tastes, the different ideas/options.

Oh and being able to sleep regular hours is a MUST too. I don't miss the bleary eyed/feeling like death morning afters. (I was a late night drinker)
Old 11-21-2016, 01:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Almost a year sober and there are so many things that are much improved in my life.

The one that has the biggest impact is being able to show up to work every day with confidence and clarity. I get my job done, make important decisions, express my opinion, read and draft long documents, manage, supervise and strategise ... all with a clear head!

I received a promotion and a pay increase.

I can see a path ahead and I feel energised to take it.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am almost 6 months sober. I have lost 30lbs, I look a lot better...skin, hair, eyes, I have toned up a lot because I have been exercising, laughing a lot more, smiling more, making jokes, connecting with people, and my house is clean. Picked up a few hobbies too. I do get along and connect better with my husband too.

hardly any anxiety.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

For me a part from all the physical changes, was I began to like myself a lot more, through building a life I could be proud of compared to my old life.

I've shared this quote before but it sums up where alcohol was taking me:

"The definition of Hell - The last day you have on earth, the person you became will meet the person you could have become.""
Old 11-21-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by islandlife View Post
I'm looking forward to creating my own list of positive changes in my life, but at Day 11, I've got a long way to go! Can anyone share how their life has positively changed from quitting drinking? Did you lose weight, gain courage to leave a dysfunctional relationship, start loving yourself, get a huge promotion, save money to take a fabulous trip, etc?
Islandlife
I feel better physically i sleep better at night and have self respect. Today is day 18.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Today is day 46 for me, and I have to say that most of my anxiety is now gone. I thought drinking would relax and help it, but I've discovered that it made it much worse. And my thoughts are much clearer now and I can focus better. Plus, I'm much more patient with hubby now.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

On Day17 here - I felt so relaxed and content today I was actually able to take a peaceful 3pm nap. No anxiety. Bliss!
Old 11-21-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It might sound like a small part of recovery, but no hangovers is a daily benefit for me. I would drink until I passed out and the next morning I would have a huge headache and then throw up. Then dry heaves for a time. My stomach would twist as I heaved over and over. Then try to make it through a day at work, sick. My hangovers were not one day either. Sometimes they were 3 days long, and that is if I stopped drinking. Usually I was back drinking by nightfall. It was a horrible cycle. Now I wake up with a clear head and no throwing up or heaves. That is a blessing I get each day.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
2/2016

I am 9 months sober. I have lost 35 pounds. I do not beat myself up everyday, or call myself a loser. I am not ashamed of myself. I sleep great, I dream again, I am no longer suicidal, and I am never hung over. It is the best thing I ever did!