Notices

Day 5 question

Old 11-20-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5 question

I am coming out of a severe relapse. I was drunk for about 30 days straight. And I'm a binge drinker, so it would go Drink for 20-30 hours, sleep for 10, rinse repeat. I started having experiences that I had never had before (I'm 31). I began vomiting blood, and didn't stop. I began shaking constantly, even when drinking, and didn't stop. At one point I blacked out on the toilet and woke up on the floor with blood all over my face; I had fallen asleep while peeing and fell over and busted my nose and lip open on the edge of our claw foot bathtub. I still kept drinking.

After evaluating my relapse to learn from my own mistakes, I am able to admit I believe I was trying to drink myself to death. I became extremely suicidal. I finally sought help, and am now fully committed to my recovery and sobriety. It's become a matter of life or death. I don't want to kill myself, and I don't want to die by 40. No more ***** footing around. Everything has to change. I broke up with my partner of 1.5 years because he is also an alcoholic who isn't ready to quit. (Nothing like going through a breakup during withdrawals. I feel like Eeyore with the rain cloud following him around.) I realize now that I can never have 'a' drink. I have to have 100s of drinks, literally. Once I start, I do not stop. My counselor (who is 27 years sober) put it perfectly: "There is no such thing as 'enough' to an addict. 'Enough' is when you kill yourself with your drug. Then you are done using."

I am now 5 days sober, and yes, I am under medical supervision. I am on bp meds, anti seizure meds, nausea meds, etc, and I am checking in with my doctor and counselor (they're a team; I am very lucky to have them available in my city, both are recovered) every day. But I wanted to ask others if they've experienced what I have.

I have NEVER had withdrawal symptoms last this long, and its scaring me a little. I am not hallucinating anymore or anything, thank goodness, but on day 5 I am still unable to sleep for more than 2-4 hours at a time, and my gosh, THE SHAKES. I have never had the shakes or weakness in my muscles for this long, or to this severity. Not to mention the fuzzy brain, the anxiety, the feeling of being 'amped' in a bad way, etc.

Has anyone else experienced withdrawal symptoms this severe on day 5? How long should I expect this to last? I feel like I'm going to lose my mind.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Chemem!!

If like me you drank for years to get to the point of quitting it's going to take a bit longer than 5 days to dig yourself out, the body needs time to adjust physically, mentally and emotionally, it can't do it in a matter of days or weeks, and from reading your story it sounds like some serious drinking that the body needs to bounce back from.

It can though, the body can heal if given the chance, and eventually things will ease, but in the meantime be good to yourself, plenty of fluids, food, rest, and take things easy, early Sobreity can be rough, but thinks will adjust.

You can do this, and there's plenty of support here on SR in your corner!!
Old 11-20-2016, 02:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome chemem

I would echo what PurpleKnight said, years of excess drinking will take more than a few days. I'm sure your doctor would let you know if anything was amiss.

I had most of the symptoms you describe, the difficulty in sleeping took me months to get back to a normal sleep pattern. Prior to that i would take ages to actually fall asleep.

I had some degree of "fuzzy brain" or what is sometimes called brain fog for nearly a year although the wort of it lasted for about six weeks.

I did not experience the shakes or muscle weakness but I felt like I had no energy for a long time

If you stay sober things will improve.

Good luck
Old 11-20-2016, 04:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Coming off a bender like that really would have wreaked havoc on your body. The last time I had a severe bender, it felt like hell for a good week before things settled down. Just have to stay hydrated, eat well, and fight through it.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
K66
Sober Date March 19, 2018 *One Day At A Time*

The anxiety and muscle weakness is brutal for me and I only drink (drank) a Mickey of vodka a day as a wee chick at 4,11 and 105lbs... But when my anxiety hits it mixes with the muscle weakness and I feel like a friggin waterbed person I can hardly speak, walk, talk, hold my head up... I feel like I might evacuate my bladder and bowels unexpectedly at any moment... My eyes have trouble focusing.. It's aweful..
Old 11-20-2016, 07:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Day 5 is still early. Took me awhile to get over the acute stuff. Hang in there
Old 11-20-2016, 07:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just stay strong my friend, little by little it will get better. We are all with you
Old 11-20-2016, 08:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Chem,

Your pain has to be horrid. I drank no where near what you drank and I felt like I was losing my mind for many months.

But, it got a little better each day.

Work to get off them meds as soon as you can. Feel the real hell so you never forget and never relapse.

I believe the meds mask the horrors and lead many folks to relapse.

Imo.

Thnaks.