Sib day drunk. Haven't seen that in a while.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sib day drunk. Haven't seen that in a while.

Hey, all. So my alcoholic sib (lives with my mom) was drunk the other day when I went to visit mom. As the title suggests, haven't seen that in a while. After my mom's fall and resulting ER visit, he seemed, if not to moderate his drinking, at least to change it up a bit. More available to her during the day, so was probably doing most of his elbow-bending in the evening after she went to bed. She has been getting some physical therapy help and seems stronger. Better balance, too. Maybe he felt he could relax a little, and what better way to relax than to get plastered? I don't know. There is so much about alcohlism that just baffles me. Fortunately, he is a tedious drunk, but not a violent one. He just gets really yacky, has an opinion on everything and, of course, is the smartest guy in the room. Just ask him. We listened to his quacking for a while, then ordered him back upstairs to leave us in peace. Which he did. My mom has been resisting getting a Lifealert system, claiming that sib is there and she doesn't need it. Well, being there and being fully present are two different things, which I may point out at an opportune time. Or maybe not. Peace.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Irk Maudcat, It is hard enough dealing with aging parent. Throwing an alcoholic sibling in the mix just makes it worse.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Truer words never spoken, Bekind. Interestingly enough, their magical thinking--prefer to call it that. Sounds better than batcrap loony--mirrors each other. Two somewhat demented people for the price of one. Yay! Ah, well. One does what one can. Peace.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

MC,
Not fun stuff, you wonder who is worse, aging mom or A sibling. I think you might need to talk to mom and see how often he is drinking. Not sure if she would even know as they hide everything.

Maybe stop over and make some more surprise visits. Evaluate it when you know more. I hate to say, but check out the recycle bin and see if that is an indicator.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, maia. He is def drinking. I don't think it ever stopped. Think he was just doing a bit of a work-around. I am there 3-4 times a week. Spouse does drive-bys as well, and older bro goes by too. I don't think mom is terribly clued into his drinking, as in how much, how often, etc. She likes having him there, and I had an enlightenment the other day: I don't think she cares all that much that he drinks.. She is the child of an alcoholic father, her husband was an alcoholic, and now her son is carrying on that hallowed family tradition. Her definition of "normal" is different than mine. But...mom isn't going to change at this time in her life and, sadly, neither is bro. I have offered to help him if he gets sick and tired of being sick and tired. His answer? "Nah, I like to drink." Peace.