Notices

Good morning SR :)

Old 11-20-2016, 06:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Good morning SR :)

Good morning everybody!

I need to make it a point to come here more often! Unfortunately, it triggered me occasionally. I guess it made me think about alcohol Too much.
Anyway, I will be 1 Year sober December 5!!! I'm very thankful that I made it this far. Those horrendous hangovers are a distant memory. It's not difficult to resist anymore, no more white knuckling (the Worst!!).

I won't lie and say it's all roses and sunshine being sober because it's not. It's really hard sometimes to tackle life's problems head on, instead of hiding in a bottle. There are days that I wish I could erase everything in my head like an etch & sketch (alcohol was good at that), but I try not to become overwhelmed. There will always be challenges, and life will never be perfect.
I've found healthier ways to deal with stress. I love nature and walking so that works wonders. I love fussing around the house and adding things that make me happy like candles (shopping! I need to be careful there, lol). I need to quit ebay too because it adds to my stress. I try to weed out the things that stress me, and stuff I just don't need in my life. I try to just let things go, not let myself dwell on any one thing too long....

In the end I just like being present, through the good or bad. There was nothing worse than feeling like I was watching life from afar.

I hope everybody is well. Stay strong newcomers, keep saying No and you will get there. The first couple months are the hardest.
Have a great Sunday everybody!
Old 11-20-2016, 07:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
sober style

Congrats on 1 year, jessie!
Old 11-20-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing! I always get inspiration from success stories!
Old 11-20-2016, 07:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jessie, you're doing great. Like you, I love walking and nature. The benefits from something so simple are enormous. I think it's great that you're working to keep balance in your life.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post Jessie, have a fantastic Sunday!!
Old 11-20-2016, 02:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Jessie

D
Old 11-20-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank-you all! It feels good.

Also, I was a chronic relapser, so for those that just feel like they can't get it right, KEEP TRYING! It will stick eventually, just don't ever give up.

I drank for about 11 years, which probably isn't as long as many. However, I knew almost immediately that I had a problem. I had the classic 'Wow, where have you been all my life??!' feelings after that first strong drink.
I came from an alcoholic family, both sides, and steered clear of it for many years...
Then I hit 40, and I'm still not sure exactly why I decided to drink. A bottle of vodka was given to us as a Christmas gift, but that happened many times. I remember one time being given a bottle of wine and it became this decorative piece on my kitchen counter for many years, lol.

Anyway, I know that things weren't great, lots of stress and marital problems when I decided to drink the vodka that night, it was New Years Eve 2005 * I believe?). Within 6 months I was trying to quit, saw a doctor, and tried to quit.
But I guess I was too early in and wasn't desperate, yet.
For the next (almost) 11 years I tried to quit many times a week. Over & over, I seriously thought it would never work. I'm around drinkers a Lot in the Summer and so many times I tried to control it. I tried everything, to limit the damage. And, since I'm an alcoholic, it never worked.

You need to want it so badly I guess, and finally I just didn't drink no matter what. I think It's the hardest thing I've ever done. Many sleepless nights and many tears...
But nothing that is worth getting is ever easy.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on the first of many sober years! Keep going, it gets even better.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

One year is wonderful, Jessie. Very proud of you.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on the upcoming one year sober anniversary!!!
Old 11-20-2016, 07:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Nicely done Jessie. Keep it going!