Notices

I tried 4 aa contacts tonight Was so weak

Old 11-19-2016, 12:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I tried 4 aa contacts tonight Was so weak

I tried to contact at least four people tonight from a meeting card. for whatever reason via text or phone it didn't work out I don't know if this is a sign. It's too late. I am now drinking😢😥😭
Old 11-19-2016, 12:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

LC- one sentence tells a big story, You reached out for help- that is good. Your attempt to find people was not happening at that time. It happens. Is it a sign? Then you started drinking and posted here- still looking for help. There is help here at SR. The people you tried to contact- I do not think a god figure planned for those people to have flat batteries, be out of range- whatever because you rang. You drank alcohol afterwards. Does this mean the "sign' was a justification to have a drink? Not being judgemental- but I am an alcoholic in recovery so I kind of have some idea from my own behaviour. Good to reach out. Bad to drink if stuff does not happen off the bat. Perhaps calm down a bit next time- try to call a few hours later- or go to a meeting. Remember the only person in your sentence who was drinking. Keep posting- there are a heap of threads at SR with lots of real stories by real people.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, you re on point .. thank you so very much
Old 11-19-2016, 01:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There is an AA 24 hour hotline. If your not into that, in the beginning I would call random local rehabs, and the people who answered the phone were great at helping and talking with me. I never ended up having to go but still was helpful.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi LifeChanges

I don't believe in signs - not like that...there's many thing to do when you feel tempted to drink - the 14 hour hotline is good, forums like this one are great...instead of drinking to the liquor store you can always hit a meeting

Sometimes, when the rubber meets the road, the buck stops with us. You can be ready for the responsibility next time

D
Old 11-19-2016, 02:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

LC - you had one plan that didn't work - I think we need to build up a whole set of plans that we can call on.
At the end of the day, the choice is ours. You know now there will always be people here, add this to your plans.
For now, I'd say stop right now and start again.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Do you truly believe that it was a sign? Or an excuse?

I'm not trying to be harsh, I understand, believe me. And its great that you did try to call. I know I have to go to any lengths to stay sober. Come here, go to a meeting, distract myself (the gym, eat, shower, walk), or if its late simply go to bed.

Don't give up. Maybe it was a sign that you need to rely on something greater than another human, who is all powerful, benign and always available?
Old 11-19-2016, 06:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

No one else can keep me sober. It's not an action that is created for me.

It's my hand and my mouth.

People are not always available at my beck and call, so I had to develop the motivation within.

Next time how about a little prayer? Lots of stops before that drink.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LifeChanges View Post
I tried to contact at least four people tonight from a meeting card. for whatever reason via text or phone it didn't work out I don't know if this is a sign. It's too late. I am now drinking������
could be the sign was that people can help, but only one person has the power to get alcohol into your body?

good on for calling!! that's pretty awesome to read.
next time maybe pick up the big book and start reading or post here,eh?
Old 11-19-2016, 10:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
sober style

You can't get discouraged so easily. You're used to drinking, so a part of you looks at anything and everything as a reason to drink. Try to look for reasons to stay sober instead, those are much better reasons to be thinking about and way better for you too. And you can always come here to SR for support as others have mentioned.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Life - I don't find the generic phone lists to be that helpful. What I do instead is listen to people share in the meeting and find someone that has the type of recovery I want. Then I talk to them after the meeting and exchange phone numbers. It makes it a lot easier for someone to pick up the phone if they know who is calling. It makes it easier on me to dial the phone because I at least know who the person a little bit.

I am not sure what kind of sign it is that 4 people didn't pick up the phone, but it definitely isn't a sign that you should drink.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LifeChanges View Post
I tried to contact at least four people tonight from a meeting card. for whatever reason via text or phone it didn't work out I don't know if this is a sign. It's too late. I am now drinking������
Sorry that they were not there for you.
Don't give up.

When you do get hold of them again.
Maybe you could ask one of them to be your sponsor ?

Good luck,
Bob
Old 11-19-2016, 12:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

There are no inevitabilities, we can either continue to live fuelling our addiction or we can get Sober, it can be done, and everyone has it within themselves to make it happen.

You can turn this around LifeChanges, pour the rest out and start over again.

SR is always here when others around fail to be available, we are in your corner to talk to!!
Old 11-19-2016, 06:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks all for your thoughts. It's Saturday night, 9:30, and I haven't picked back up. Looking forward to spending the rest of my night here on SR. Hope everyone is having a good weekend
Old 11-19-2016, 06:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're feeling better, LC. Recovery is truly a learning experience and I think this situation today has showed you that, next time, you can approach this differently. You don't have to drink again. I'm glad you're here and feeling better.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yeah I sort of know this happens. I have had similar AA experiences. Its a good organisation but not a panacea for alcoholism. When your really in the grip of your own cravings and misery I found it helpful to just go to bed. It is hard though and I empathise with your predicament. Alcohol addiction is a really nasty condition to become trapped in. You will find a way because you tried to ring four people and that simply means there is a real desire in you to stop and come to terms with your addiction and manage it. Keep on going. You will get there. Its the people who dont post their hiccups in recovery/meetings that have the least success in my experience. I was in a situation I simply thought was not going to be solved. With a bit of help from this forum, AA, true friends and my god, I am 3 and a half years sober. It wasnt easy but it go easier the longer I stayed sober. Now I have two jobs I love and a new set of sober friends. Well worth the pain.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you for that JustinHolt. Needed those words of encouragement. Thank you
Old 11-21-2016, 09:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
AA Member

i once called >60 people to try to talk to someone

this was before cellphones

just sayin'