Notices

How did you start?

Old 11-18-2016, 08:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How did you start?

Hey everyone -

I am new here. I've been reading posts, and it appears as though everyone has already started being sober. How do you do it? I joined because I'm feeling really hopeless and frustrated with myself, I can't remember the last time I was sober for more than a day (maybe two). Even when I make up my mind to stop (or even just to take a week off), I always give in. Does anyone have any suggestions or resources for breaking the cycle and getting started?

Thanks.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

One day@time

Originally Posted by getschwifty View Post
Hey everyone -

I am new here. I've been reading posts, and it appears as though everyone has already started being sober. How do you do it? I joined because I'm feeling really hopeless and frustrated with myself, I can't remember the last time I was sober for more than a day (maybe two). Even when I make up my mind to stop (or even just to take a week off), I always give in. Does anyone have any suggestions or resources for breaking the cycle and getting started?

Thanks.
medical Detox's first things first..you posted here let it be beginning.. Pushing for you prayers going up✌
Old 11-18-2016, 09:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to SR!

I know it sounds cliche, but it truly is one day at a time. We have all been where you are, writing that first post, and starting out. This site has been a huge resource for me.

I joined in 2012, and spent three years alternating between sobriety, and failed attempts at moderation. 2016 is the first year I will be completely sober since I was 14. I finally decided to follow Dee's advice and make a recovery plan.

The first few days I planned out every minute of the time I would normally be drinking, I also spent a ton of time reading and posting on here. Some of the things that have been a really important part of my recovery are journaling, checking in here daily, exercise, hiking, plans with my kids, and mindfulness (still working on this)

There are many different options for recovery, spend some time reading on here and try out what may work for you.

Glad you are here!
Old 11-18-2016, 09:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I started by stopping and wanting to.

My bible is my recovery notebook - a 250 pager with 5 dividers. I havent filled them all out yet but one is 'achievements' and every day i write down what i did that I wouldnt have done drinking, drunk or hungover.

Another tab is 'organisation' where i write down every day I have a craving and what I have saved money wise best case and worst case (I.E best case I would just drink one bottle of wine at £6, worst case id go on to 3 bottles at £18. I have saved a fortune in less than two weeks!

Third tab is 'Thoughts' - when I hit a particularly hard point for me I make a post and ask everyone to comment their tips and tricks, then I write it down and refer back to it if I feel that way again.

Sorry for the essay!
Old 11-18-2016, 09:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Reading around here a lot is a great start, because it will give you so much information on what you'll be dealing with by stopping. It will help you to be mentally, emotionally and physically prepared to stop.

First time I came on SR after signing up I didn't read around enough and I wasn't prepared. I just joined a monthly class but I didn't last long - just a few days - and then got back on the booze and disappeared.

After just over a year, I did come back to SR because I was done with denying my problem and my health and work were suffering (irreversibly I feared).

When I came back, I was a lot more realistic about what it would take. I went to see a doctor and told her all about my drinking. That was on Day 1.

Then I joined the Dec 2015 monthly class here and posted every day. It gave me accountability and also support by people who quit around the same time. I read and read around here as well as books on addiction and books by people who had sobered up.

Here's the current monthly class thread - just post in it and you'll be off.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post6213898

Finally, I made a plan to stay sober. Here's a thread on that if someone hasn't already posted it:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html
Old 11-18-2016, 09:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wanting to get sober is a start. I tried and failed for over a year, but I kept trying and I'll keep trying. If there was a single solution for everyone, that would be amazing, but it doesn't work like that.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks - you all gave me some good ideas and it's nice to see the support here. I've gone to a couple meetings before by the suggestion of friends, but I've never followed through with anything after because I didn't feel like I was "bad enough". I've been reading lots of articles on here too, and the more I read the more I'm realizing I'm an alcoholic (which I've never thought of myself as before today, so that's super weird to say/type....but the article on recognizing a high functioning alcoholic really had me to a T). Now I just need to actually do something about it. Thanks again y'all.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by getschwifty View Post
Thanks - you all gave me some good ideas and it's nice to see the support here. I've gone to a couple meetings before by the suggestion of friends, but I've never followed through with anything after because I didn't feel like I was "bad enough". I've been reading lots of articles on here too, and the more I read the more I'm realizing I'm an alcoholic (which I've never thought of myself as before today, so that's super weird to say/type....but the article on recognizing a high functioning alcoholic really had me to a T). Now I just need to actually do something about it. Thanks again y'all.
I also read the articles on being a high functioning alcoholic and thats totally what I am, it was weird huh?
Old 11-18-2016, 10:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

One thing I will say is that yes we are currently high functioning and that made drinking seem okay, but I was leaking into where booze had taken my relationship, and given enough time my job, my car, my friends and my house. This is a good step, alcoholism has no requirements
Old 11-18-2016, 10:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'd suggest that if you identify with being a "high functioning alcoholic" then it's absolutely the time to stop! Don't wait till you start to lose the things you value.

One of the things I read about here was the concept of "yet". If you find yourself thinking that those horrible things that happen to "true" alcoholics haven't happened to you, consider that they just haven't happened to you yet.

One of the other things I truly believe about myself is that I was on the cusp of getting into real trouble in my job and with my health. The warning signs were there. I was on the lift down to the bottom, and the last few stops come very, very quickly.

I really found those ideas helped me to stop. As a result, I feel I have been given back a life that is rich and rewarding.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

MissPerfumado is absolutely correct
Old 11-18-2016, 10:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My boyfriend refuses to move back in with me still as he doesnt trust me drinking wise. We have been together nearly 6 years and lived together pretty much all of that time til he left in June.

My job was going next and I also drove my car illegally a couple of times
Old 11-19-2016, 12:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome getschwifty

Not everyone here started sober

I started right here - looking for help to stop drinking...reading what others had done...asking questions, looking for support for myself and giving it to others

Read around - find out what others are doing and find the way that makes sense to you. As Delilah noted, I'm a plan guy...I think they're vital. You'll find a lot of info here :

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

I also recommend the Class of November support thread. Its for everyone quitting this month. All you have to do to join is simply post in it

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-3-a-4.html

D
Old 11-19-2016, 12:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Safety- check up/bloods from a doctor and supervised detox. Well done on reaching out- the trick once one recognises there is a problem is follow through. Keep posting.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Reading AA's Daily Reflections and Living Sober got me finally past my Day 1. I think the literature validated my illness and gave me some hope.
Old 11-19-2016, 04:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Lots of good comments. Especially from Dee and especially on what you have not lost- yet.

To answer your question literally: quit. I went cold turkey from a very heavy vodka habit- about a handle every two days- -and while many will tell you this is not medically advisable, I chose the unknown effects of that over certain death.

I started AA after extreme resistance for a number of years and it is my lifeline. I work a hard program daily, including non-AA work such as devotions , and usually four to six meetings a week. I have a strong sober support network and don't allow unsupportive people in my life, period. My life is not what I ever expected and better than I could have imagined.

That all started with the decision to quit. Then going to meetings, surrendering to my alcoholism and learning how to live a life of recovery.

Good luck.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Nice to meet you,
I think I started everyday for ten years. I always failed but feel like a learned a little each time. When I finally wanted it badly enough and found SR things kind of all came together. In the beginning I read everyday in the " stories of recovery " forum. I think I have read them all. It was extremly motivating to me. It all started with day one. Good luck
Old 11-19-2016, 05:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I made sure I had a few days where I didn't have to be anywhere or do anything in particular and just got through the first few days drinking lots of tea and coming here to read and sometimes post.
I worked out when/where/what was going to be hard and started thinking about how to deal with it before I got there. As I found out yesterday, you can't always avoid cravings, but it helps to plan ahead.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey Gets

I completely relate to where you are. In order to stop you have to 'simply' stop. If you can't stop on your own, there are rehabs and/or detox facilities that can help you get stopped. For me its staying stopped that has been the challenge.

Acceptance of and surrender to the fact that I cannot control my drinking is the foundation.

A program, plan, whatever one wishes to call it is also a must. You'll hear that one has to 'work' a program. That it is 'hard' work. Frankly, the hard work was staying dedicated and chained to active alcoholism. The mental obsession, the physical pain, the emotional drama, the pain it caused loved ones, the health issues, the career issues. Then the legal issues, financial issues. All for a beverage. The only people that can tolerate that hell and even deny its huge negative effect are alcoholics.

It is a progressive condition. Left untreated and it does get worse. You can do this if you really want change. And believe me, while its a daily commitment, it is much easier than being alcohol's bitch.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Getschwifty!!