Notices

Depression at night?

Old 11-18-2016, 03:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depression at night?

This is probably pretty common, but just curious how many other people out there are eaten alive by the sadness as soon as the sun goes down? I'm getting clean off opiates and just about every other drug i could get my hands on and starting to feel better, just fatigued, but as soon as night rolls in i'm fighting off tears thinking about the past. Thinking how we never get time back and it sucks, but that's life eh. Anyway, anyone else feelin this with the shorter days?
Old 11-18-2016, 03:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA Member

yep, that's one of the reasons why i get my butt to a meeting (almost) every night

Old 11-18-2016, 03:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that you will be able to come to terms with where you are in your life. It's understandable to have regrets about wasted time and opportunities, but I know I have to not let those feelings take over.

I have chronic insomnia and am often up during the middle of the night. I don't have any alcohol in the house and I think if I did, there are some nights that would be hard to get through. Seasonal Affective Disorder is fairly common and I know one of the ways it bothers me is because I love going out walking in the evenings when their is light and I stop doing that at this point. Going to a gym just isn't the same.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've heard good things about those SAD lights.

I get more depressed in winter too. Cold and slick and often snowy. I try to walk my dogs as often as possible, just to get some exercise and fresh air.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey jt. I had a bit problem with nights too. Restless, depressed, etc I started going to the gym at around 6/7pm to get me out of the house and somewhat out of those feelings.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

SAD lights are a worthy investment
Old 11-18-2016, 10:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My mood is also more sullen in the winter and at night, and I despise being cold. It seems like I function best in warm weather, especially when I can wake up to nice weather, walk outside to a nice sunny day and do my run. It's not the same in the cold and rain, which actually sometimes prevents me altogether from working out. I will confess, however, that I spend 12 minutes each month in a high intensity stand up tanning bed, which provides heat, warmth and tends to make me feel better (and a tan). Just hope I don't get skin cancer, as I am aware of that risk.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am the exact same way. I could have written this post myself. It's seriously like night and day with my emotions. My thoughts are depressing, dark, and terrible at night. And then the next day, I think to myself "Wow I can't believe I was feeling that way!" until the next night where it repeats itself.
I saw my doctor this weekend and mentioned this, and he upped the dosage on my anti-depressants. Going to just start from there and see if it helps any.
I recently ordered one of the light therapy lamps as well. I haven't used it enough this week to tell if it really works... this weekend will be the real test.

Best of luck to you. I know how you are feeling, and I know it's frustrating.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Jt,

I get depressed after work. Especially on holiday weekends, special weekends..e.g. super bowl.

I could be sitting at the best party in town, but I will find something to obsess and get sad over.

I am not on any meds except for a multi vit.

The obsessing is getting better though. Thank God.

Never drinking again.

Thanks.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for responding guys, it helps reading on here. I've been trying to just get out and do things as much as possibly to stay busy. Looking into the light therapy as well.