Notices

It's Friday Night

Old 11-18-2016, 09:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's Friday Night

This is the first Friday night since I have decided not to drink. I had the urge last night to have drink and didn't, tonight that feeling is still there.

I have a bottle of wine in the fridge that was opened last Sunday night that is some of a third bottle just didn't finish. sometimes I think just finish that off and then start again, but I am determined not drink it don't want to put it down the sink either. Sometimes I think if I just cut down not drink to much, but done this far to many times and end more than 1 bottle or looking for the vodka or rum.

I have been reading some books and been to my local library as well, I have read "I need to Stop drinking " by Liz Hemingway and her story sounds like my life, there is so many things that I can relate to. I also have other books on relaxation, another on Women's addiction with eating, Alcohol and depression which look's a good book.

My husband is home tonight so I need to pick him up from the airport at 7.30 pm, that's kills a bit of time but I have told him not ask me if I want a drink, What's his reply" just a small one" I told him your not helping me by saying that so don't, I will see what happens later in evening.

I just need to keep telling myself I don't want a hangover tomorrow, headache, feeling tired and sick, I also want a good night's sleep.

Fingers crossed and I have got plenty of things to keep out that fridge and any other bottle tonight.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I think dumping the wine would help you get through the evening sober.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

We've put together a Book List, a compilation from all our members:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ependence.html
Old 11-18-2016, 09:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

When I first stopped drinking, I had to make some changes. One of them was not having alcohol accessible.

When I did get cravings, I would think that drink all the way through to the next awful morning. By then, I was finally convinced that it wasn't going to be any different from all the other times before. I never regretted the morning after when I said no to drinking.

Another thing I did one was spend time with other sober people, and for me, that was AA meetings.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I poured it away, gave unopened bottles/cans to neighbours and made it through another week.

If it's gone the thought will change and no 'white knuckling' with thoughts of the fridge either!

I never regret pouring away any alcohol.

Maybe there's some chocolate or tasty snack in the fridge instead?

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself
Old 11-18-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would love to have no alcohol in the house. My husband is still going to drink, when we are at the supermarket he will be putting his drink a 1 Litre bottle of vodka in the trolley for him there won't be much left the next day. he does not want to stop drinking. it is going to be hard tomorrow night, he is only home for the weekend gets home tonight and fly's out on Sunday night. he won't be pleased if I decide not to spend Saturday night with him. He will drink till he falls asleep on the couch, he doesn't have dinner till late at night because the alcohol doesn't have any affect if he eat's before he drinks. I will find it hard not to drink.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I think dumping the wine would help you get through the evening sober.
Yup. If you really intend on quitting for good go ahead and dump it out. The added bother of having to go out and get more gives you time to think about what your doing. Anyways, good luck this weekend!
Old 11-18-2016, 11:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Our first real go at sobriety we took around a case of beer in the backyard and used them for target practice with the airsoft gun. It was fun watching them explode. This most recent time we gave it all away to my brother. We keep a secret vault that is always full of alcohol. I was so sad to get rid of it considering how much we spent on it. GET RID OF IT. Especially if it is 'your' drink of choice. Tell hubby to support you by maybe storing his supply out of sight to minimize your visual cravings. Just a thought. Have fun with it. Throw it at a tree and bust it. Then just clean up the mess. Good luck.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ohh that was hard wine is down the sink, I couldn't make my mind up dump it keep it. dump it keep it, I managed to dump it I thought if i keep that or drink that tonight start tomorrow but that's the vicious circle starting again then I thought how horrible I would feel tomorrow.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

As long as you don't drink I can't see your husband complaining if he has his vodka, yes it's hard, of course but not impossible, have an adventure, do something nice for you when he's sleeping and take it one step at a time, starting with getting rid of your alcohol and distracting yourself with some activity to absorb yourself in rather than focus ing on your husbands drinking try to occupy your thoughts with maybe visualising how you you will feel when your husband has gone and you can say that you didn't drink over the weekend despite what he does.
Keep posting, there's always people here, you can do this!!

<NSXPCConnection: 0x1902f560> connection to service named com.apple.UIKit.KeyboardManagement.hosted
Old 11-18-2016, 11:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I cleaned my room recently, I found bottles that were half-finished for "emergencies". I had to clear everything out and dump all of them, otherwise I'd go on another bender. :/ Hope you have a good weekend.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well done you!!
No more difficult thoughts, you did it!
What a relief xx

<NSXPCConnection: 0x1902f560> connection to service named com.apple.UIKit.KeyboardManagement.hosted
Old 11-18-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Take a stand! don't drink.

I know I'm being a bit flippant, but seriously, the only way to get over the hump is to take action, to stand up for your principals of wanting to improve your life. You can do it. First few Fridays are tough, no question.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for your support just had a nice cup of tea xx
Old 11-18-2016, 01:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well I can certainly tell you that your Saturday morning will be better if you spend Friday night sober. That one is a given.

I would waste most of my weekend daylight on Saturday and Sunday sleeping away my hangovers. Yuck. Now, while I do sleep in until like 9:30 or so on the weekends, I wake up fresh and ready to roll.

I would remember what I did Friday night and who I spent it with and who I saw. Previously I would remember until about 10 pm depending on how hard I was drinking.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I love Friday nights now I don't drink, choosing to do whatever I want and never worrying about the consequences (I'm quite sensible really)
Tonight, now the children are in bed, hubby is watching tv in the other room, I'm out here listening to the radio and the rain in the garden room, feeling at peace.
I lost all control over myself eventually when I was drinking and became the alcoholic in denial that I never saw until my last drunk.
Enjoy your cup of tea and enjoy tomorrow morning hangover free!

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself
Old 11-18-2016, 02:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi there. I just checked and it's after 10 in Scotland. Yeah, Friday nights were always the worst for me. I found I can't have it in the house, and my husband is a social drinker, but finally saw that it was more beneficial for us both if he abstained and we didn't have it in the house. He was quite the enabler for a while. Good luck.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GingerBread1 View Post
I would love to have no alcohol in the house. My husband is still going to drink, when we are at the supermarket he will be putting his drink a 1 Litre bottle of vodka in the trolley for him there won't be much left the next day. he does not want to stop drinking. it is going to be hard tomorrow night, he is only home for the weekend gets home tonight and fly's out on Sunday night. he won't be pleased if I decide not to spend Saturday night with him. He will drink till he falls asleep on the couch, he doesn't have dinner till late at night because the alcohol doesn't have any affect if he eat's before he drinks. I will find it hard not to drink.
Oooooo, didn't read this until a minute ago. So sorry to hear that. Maybe you could go to an Al-anon meeting? Some of us go to both. In the meantime, do you have a Big Book? Or any books on sobriety? Just meant it helps to do some reading. Or writing. Do you journal?

Last edited by dmbrat; 11-18-2016 at 02:32 PM. Reason: added thought
Old 11-18-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You're doing really well. So glad you dumped the wine. Also really glad you came on here about your Friday night and so were able to receive encouragement from people here to help.

Your husband still drinking as much as he does and (going by what you've said) not being super supportive of your sobriety will be a test for you. But others have done it here, and so can you. So long as your resolve is strong.

I live alone so I do have control over whether alcohol is in my house. But I can share something that I hope helps. I'm starting to see by just quietly sticking to my guns on my sobriety that it is influencing people close to me to also drink less. One of my friends has stopped drinking when we go out together ("if you're not drinking I won't"). One of my sisters cut down a lot after I stopped. I was at a function mid week and drank the non-alcoholic option all night - a couple of people asked me what it was and switched from wine to that. Another one of my alcoholic friends asks me constantly if I'm still sober and tells me he wishes he could do it (well, ok, he's not necessarily drinking less!).

Your hubby might give your grief if he feels threatened by your sobriety but that will be because of his own insecurities He may just eventually start to modify his behaviour as he observes your resolve - who knows?

All you can do is look after yourself ... which you're doing really well at. Keep coming back here and seeking help too! Have a great sober weekend.
Old 11-18-2016, 05:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

After a bit of sober time, you will be able to observe your husband as he descends into drunkenness and it will not seem appealing - particularly if he drinks that much in one go.

Sober eight months now - logged into this site tonight as it is just my husband and I at home, and he is drinking. It is tricky with him though because he rarely drinks to pass out so it seems a bit more normal. When you have getting drunk as the common thread as a couple it is hard but you are doing this for YOU.