Notices

Stressful Day 23

Old 11-17-2016, 07:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stressful Day 23

Currently on Day 23. Something stressful happened at work today in which the woman I rent an office from was using my space that I paid for, and I had an appointment. She looked at me when I walked in on her with her client as if I was crazy, and I quickly informed her that I had already paid for this space.

Anyways, I said some impulsive, snippy things to her in front of her client that probably embarrassed her which I feel bad for, as I was so upset about what had happened.

So, my mind went from 0-100 over this as I walked away and stewed over it. She ended up leaving the office, and I impulsively said something to her to the extent that I don't want to rent from her anymore, which was stupid on my part because I need the space at this time.

Fortunately, my client canceled, so I did not have to deal with anyone at that time. I ended up talking with this woman, and she apologized for making this mistake, and I later apologized for getting rattled and being snippy with her, and I told her I would still like to rent the space, which she is okay with.

I feel a little bit better after making my amends, but I just wish I had handled the situation differently in a calmer way rather than create all of this drama, and now I am worried the reputation I built with this woman has been secretly ruined, even though she says there is no problem.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

With every mistake I make, learn...or I aim to.

You'll do better next time Freedom

D
Old 11-17-2016, 08:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Freed- you did a human thing, felt bad- thought about it. You then took appropriate action and the matter is resolved. Good stuff. That's normal. The trick now is not to second guess your self. Stop it- right now. PJ
Old 11-17-2016, 08:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

One of my favorite leadership books has an entire chapter focused on repairing whenever you have said/done something hurtful. Often times at work I am rushing to get deal with something and a member of my staff will ask me something and my answer may be short, or I may not have had the time to fully, and actively listen. I always touch base with that person later to apologize for not being quick with an answer, or not being able to hear what they needed to say.

Being able to reflect, and say you are sorry is a very important life skill.