Notices

Cravings in advance

Old 11-17-2016, 02:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cravings in advance

This is basically just me talking to myself-I think it helps. Feel free to scroll past...
This AM I had cravings, but was able to get past them. I played the tape forward, and the beer didn't seem that appealing. Plus, my wife had off and was home all day, and plus I have to work tonight, both things that would make it worse for me to drink. HOWEVER, Fridays have always been a time when I drink (no work, no wife/kids home), and one of the things I said to myself this AM was "just don't drink today, if you have cravings tomorrow you can drink". The ODAAT approach worked this AM, but tomorrow AM is 15 hours away and I am worried... I will eat chocolate before I get on the bike to come home from work, listen to alcoholic podcasts at work, think about how it would be nice to go to my daughter's rugby game on Saturday morning NOT hungover, think about the guilt, shame and self-loathing that will be the SURE result of me drinking, think about how me drinking puts my family in danger of losing everything, think about our SR community rooting each other on, think about how terrible it would be to have to leave the OCT/2016 thread (I know I don't HAVE to leave it, but you know what I mean), think about how nice it will be to tell my wife I didn't drink.

38 days sober. Cravings suck, but I am blessed...
Old 11-17-2016, 02:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Playing the tape through is good.

I'm not a fan of 'you can drink tomorrow' ideas, but you're every bit as capable of staying strong tomorrow as you are today, Fortress.

We discussed Urge Surfing, right? Did you look into that at all?
Old 11-17-2016, 04:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not a fan of"you can drink tomorrow"either, that's what I told myself on the day of the start of my last bender,I figured I'd start early if I gave myself permission for "tomorrow" anyways, you'll be fine Fortress, it's just thoughts let them pass
Old 11-17-2016, 04:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fortress View Post
This is basically just me talking to myself-I think it helps. Feel free to scroll past...
This AM I had cravings, but was able to get past them. I played the tape forward, and the beer didn't seem that appealing. Plus, my wife had off and was home all day, and plus I have to work tonight, both things that would make it worse for me to drink. HOWEVER, Fridays have always been a time when I drink (no work, no wife/kids home), and one of the things I said to myself this AM was "just don't drink today, if you have cravings tomorrow you can drink". The ODAAT approach worked this AM, but tomorrow AM is 15 hours away and I am worried... I will eat chocolate before I get on the bike to come home from work, listen to alcoholic podcasts at work, think about how it would be nice to go to my daughter's rugby game on Saturday morning NOT hungover, think about the guilt, shame and self-loathing that will be the SURE result of me drinking, think about how me drinking puts my family in danger of losing everything, think about our SR community rooting each other on, think about how terrible it would be to have to leave the OCT/2016 thread (I know I don't HAVE to leave it, but you know what I mean), think about how nice it will be to tell my wife I didn't drink.

38 days sober. Cravings suck, but I am blessed...
Don't feel bad. I've been fighting cravings the past 3 days myself from working too hard. Been missing the taste of beer. But then I remind myself what it does to me and then it eases off. 42 days for me. You can do it!!
Old 11-17-2016, 05:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA Member

i like how youre ...

demonstrating willingness

thinking about the consequences of that first drink

doin' some exercise

stayin' active on sr
Old 11-17-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Stay strong. Maybe if you wake up in the morning, you can plan something that gets you out and Not at home alone with your cravings. Get up and treat yourself to Starbucks or tea or a bakery or whatever they have where you live. Then go for a hike or a bookstore, etc. Have fun and stay busy! Before you know it, the wife and kids will be home and hopefully the cravings gone or less likely to be acted upon.
I know it's tough. I'm at 46 days. I hope these suggestions give you some ideas besides drinking. Hope you stay with all of us in the October 2016 group 😀