Notices

bumps n the road

Old 11-16-2016, 09:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

bumps n the road

Hi everyone. I just wanted to share. It is an amazing thing the nature of Addiction and sobriety. Its a hard lifestyle that is for sure. Since trying to become sober, I have had a few slips and setbacks. But all in all I have been putting together alot of sober time. My mind seems to be shifting away from alcohol. I like the feelings I get from being sober alot more than the feeling of drunkness. And I have been trying hard to remember that when the alcoholic In me awakens. Yesterday, I was presented the opportunity to day drink for free and go for an awesome dining experience filled with expensive wine. I kindly declined. This is a major step for me. One I never thought would be possible. Since, that was my definition of the best thing ever not too long ago. Long term sobriety is so much harder than those initial day 1s and 2s and3s. I believe I am learning this albeit the hard way. I have still been doing my gratitude journal everyday. I guess I'm a work in progress. But at least I'm trying and I'm still here on Sr. Still checking in regularly. Still fighting to never have a day 1 again. But most importantly I'm just grateful I am still alive and kicking to keep trying to get I right. I hope u guys have a great night thanks for reading 😊
Old 11-16-2016, 10:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nicely done yesterday!
Old 11-16-2016, 10:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Winning the battle girl. Very well done and good for you. Keep sharing.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats to you. Take a day at a time. It will get better and better.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Keep moving forward WG

D
Old 11-16-2016, 10:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think our lives are full of such choices, the difference is I've always said yes in the past.
What I'm trying to do now is to pre-empt those times and have a plan of what I'm going to say/do in place. So I have a reason to decline ready and an activity to reward myself if I feel I need to. No drinking, go climbing instead :-)
Old 11-17-2016, 06:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats Winnie! And I'll bet this morning you are even MORE grateful you didn't give in to temptation!
Old 11-17-2016, 06:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

awesome stuff winnie!!!
Old 11-17-2016, 07:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Winn,

We crave the euphoria from the drunk...but it alters our bodies natural ability to produce our own dopamine.

That is the addiction.

I am much more stoic now clean 18 months.

My dopamine levels are probably normal. This is what normal feels like...i guess.

I drank like a fish until i was physically nearing total destruction.

Sobriety is a whole new world.

Thanks.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think many of us went to the school of hard knocks before we got sober for good. Keep making positive changes and putting in the effort and good things will happen.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by winniegirl33 View Post

I have still been doing my gratitude journal everyday.

But most importantly I'm just grateful I am still alive and kicking to keep trying to get I right.
I have found this time around that staying grateful for my sobriety on a daily basis is of most importance.
It's one thing that I stopped doing during past relapses.

MB
Old 11-17-2016, 07:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
I have found this time around that staying grateful for my sobriety on a daily basis is of most importance.
It's one thing that I stopped doing during past relapses.

MB
As usual, what MBob said.

Great job, Winnie! That kind of day is one I too often loved and indulged in when I was drinking. In one relationship in particular (both of us active alcoholics) it is just the kind of ideal excursion we would have done.

Now, there is nothing in my life that isn't better sober. An ideal day is completely different- sometimes it is a long, productive day at work (not struggling through hungover, or waking up early enough to drink just the right amount to get through the day buzzed enough but not seeming drunk), a day off with errands, a meeting, and a nap, a day date (with my sober bc), anything.

Keep going- on the eve of nine months I will say that for me being grateful to truly live instead of barely exist is the greatest gift ever. Reality can keep being the best alternative for you, too!