Help me help him...

Old 11-15-2016, 08:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help me help him...

How do I help my boyfriend? He binges and tries to push me away, he doesn't want me dealing with this. When he is drunk he will always try to break up with me because he says, "You don't deserve this". He admits he needs help but he is not seeking it. I know I can't make him, I have to wait until he is ready. What do I do in the meantime? I am just trying to stay supportive and keep him safe. I don;t want to leave him, I believe at some point he will be ok. What do I do while I wait? I don't want to nag too much, I don't want to ignore it either. Please give me some advice.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maybe try and find an al-anon meeting in your area and give it a try. Also, do as much research as possible on alcoholism, addict behaviors and codependency.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hi, and welcome. I second atalose's advice. You should consider, too, whether what you think of as "supportive" might not be enabling behavior--that he knows you will patiently wait while he continues to drink. Not that leaving him would get him sober--we just aren't that powerful. But having a "supportive" partner can feed into the denial that his drinking is destroying his life.

You really have no way of knowing whether "at some point he will be OK." It could be years or decades before that happens. It might never happen. In the meantime, what happens to YOUR life?
Old 11-15-2016, 09:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What do you mean by "keep him safe"?
Old 11-16-2016, 06:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
totfit

Unfortunately, you can't help him. He has to help himself. Likely, he also knows himself which is why he is pushing you away. The best thing you can do is focus on helping yourself. Unfortunately, waiting around for him to "get better" may be waiting for something that never happens. While I hope that not to be true, it is a fact. Take care of yourself. Wish both of you the best, though that does not necessarily mean in a relationship, but in life.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Boomer. I am glad you found us and hope you find lots of support here.

As everyone has said before, the sad reality of alcoholism/addiction is no one can help the user; the more you leave them to it, the sooner they will hit bottom . . .if they have a bottom which unfortunately some don't.

Please read all you can on codependency, try a couple of Alanon meetings and get yourself a copy of Codependent No More..

I suspect that what we are telling you is not what you want to know and super painful to hear. However it is the truth we have all faced in some form or another. . . and it is beyond painful.

Take good care of yourself and let us know how you get on.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just a question before I answer.....

How long have you been dating this man?