Notices

Feeling frustrated

Old 11-14-2016, 05:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling frustrated

Hi everyone, I haven't had a drink for 19 days today. I'm feeling a bit vulnerable because I've got a cold and cough. I know it's not a big problem and everybody gets colds but it has zapped all my energy and I'm feeling frustrated that I can't get on and do things. My thinking is quite negative. I noticed this when I went to post on the gratitude thread today...I couldn't think of anything I was grateful for. Just feel so tired even though I had a good sleep last night. I'm not a very patient person and get frustrated quite easily when I can't do the things I won't to do. The last few weeks I've been feeling really positive about not drinking and changing my lifestyle and at the moment I just can't muster any kind of enthusiasm but I guess that's normal. I guess I just have to learn to deal with feelings of frustration without a drink or the thought of a drink but I do find it difficult. Just need a little support please.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you're feeling sick. Colds suck and they generally last about 10 days....but the worst is the first 3-5.

Yeah, just have to muscle through. If you can take this time to rest and baby yourself a bit then try to do that. Hang in there.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Frickaflip, good advice I will try to give myself some TLC. I think I'm a bit to demanding of myself sometimes! I hope you are doing OK?
Old 11-14-2016, 05:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good morning- sorry you are struggling with a cold. I have had two (and strep) in the last six weeks and I have felt just horrible during each. I am 9 mo sober this week and I know my body is still heeling. I just had to accept that I could not work (that scares me, for reasons of money and because I don't like getting off schedule) and rest, sleep and drink a ton of fluids and try to eat. Taking care of our bodies- especially in really early sobriety!- is critical.

Perhaps the gratitude part is the chance to have a legit reason to feel bad! Not because we're hungover or drunk, or maudlin or restless because of drinking, etc. I try to turn the "I have to" or "why is this" stuff into an "I get to," even if it's a tiny thing.

Feel better- drinking will make the cold and everything else worse!
Old 11-14-2016, 05:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ugh.. I don't have a cold but I can relate to the absolute fatigue. I think mine is from the anti-depression meds I began in Aug. Seems to have to opposite effect. I don't feel like running, I have no energy to clean, no motivation. It's weird that when I was drinking I had more energy! I'm 43 days now and have NO intentions to start back drinking, but I need motivation and energy! I hope you get back your motivation and energy after your cold subsides.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Hi Flame11 - Hope you feel better as the day or evening goes on.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you August, I know that drinking would make me feel worse I don't won't to do that to myself. I do get scared though because I know now that I drink on my feelings a lot because I can't handle how I'm feeling however that might be at any given time. I have to be very vigilant about how I'm feeling and why. Yes looking after our bodies is very important but I must admit I've not been eating particularly healthy because I've been thinking..well I'm not drinking so I'm going to reward myself with junk food. And yeah getting of schedule that's what I find frustrating. I'm sorry to hear that you've been ill too sounds like you've been through it especially with strep that's nasty. Glad you're OK now and 9 months is amazing and an inspiration to me. I'm sure I will get some gratitude back soon.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you Oct2016, sorry to hear that you're not feeling good either. "Absolute fatigue" such a horrible feeling both physically and mentally. I like running too but like you haven't the energy at the moment but it is one of my longer term goals. I like to swim as it's not quite so strenuous and it's quite calming too. Well done on 43 days hang in there I'm sure as time goes on we will both feel much better and be enjoying our sobriety.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Midnight rider, hope you are having a good day.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello Flame, I do sympathise! Since stopping drinking, I turned into an Energiser Bunny, then I contracted a cold and I feel like a stagnant puddle of water. Yuck. Plus, yesterday, I felt so sad, for no real reason, that it was a struggle to prevent myself from crying.

But Flame, every hour that we suffer the cold symptoms, we're creeping closer to shaking it off and those positive feelings (created by not drinking) will soon return.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Tatsy, I know what you're saying about the "energiser bunny" that's been me! It's horrible to go from feeling good and having plans to getting stopped in your tracks by a common cold! But normal life stuff that I have to tolerate without changing how I feel. Yeah give it a day or so and I'm sure I'll have my motivation and energy back. I get sad sometimes too, hope you're feeling OK today.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by flame11 View Post
I'm not a very patient person and get frustrated quite easily when I can't do the things I won't to do.
I think it's essential to learn patience in early recovery. For me, it was.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you, Flame, yes I'm feeling less sad today. I hope you're feeling a little lighter and less frustrated, too.

I'm looking forward to the Super Moon tonight. It will be bigger and brighter than it has been for nearly 70 years, because it's so close to our planet. It won't be this close again until 2034.

Sometimes, when I feel a little low, I look out at the moon and the stars in our galaxy and find it uplifting, so tonight will be especially magical. What amazes me, is that billions of people and animals on planet earth, can raise their eyes to the sky and see the moon, no matter where they are ( time of day and clouds permitting).

Anyway, I'm digressing, but please Flame, don't let those feelings of frustration lead to a drink. Drink used to be a cure-all, fix-all for me, but all it really did was destroy-all. Somehow I managed to survive, but I've so much to rebuild and I too feel frustrated that this cold has dragged me down!

I feel 100% sure we'll both recover our motivation and energy very soon!
Old 11-14-2016, 06:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna, wise words im glad you picked up on that line..It's funny because I can have patients with other people but I'm not very patient with myself. I feel guilty when I can't do the things I think I 'should' be doing I give myself a real hard time and tell myself I'm useless etc... and I think it's also to do with the instant gratification I'm used to getting which I know is a pretty immature trait. I want to keep learning so that I can change these things about myself. I started to read a book on mindfulness last night but didn't get very far due to not feeling well but I'm going to try again.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Glad you're not feeling so sad Tatsy. For me posting and talking to you all has given me a much needed uplift. I really don't want to drink it's too painful. The super moon I read about that yesterday (obviously forgotten by today as short term memory doesn't work very well) shall defiantly be having a look outside tonight. When I'm drinking I wouldn't give something like that a second thought...not interested only interested in getting out of my head. The universe/ nature is amazing and has soo much to offer I really hope that I can stay sober and enjoy life .
Old 11-14-2016, 07:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
totfit

I too and impatient at times and easily frustrated, though have improved about 1000% over time not drinking. I hate colds also and the lack of being "productive". I have turned this around however and used it as a time to rest and recoup. My typical bad cold day is a day of soup, fluids, movies and reading under a blanket. Down time is not always bad time and can in fact be a good time.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Totfit - I'm with you... When I'm feeling sick, I tend to lay low. It feels better to just wrap up in a blanket and rest... watch some movies.... then fight it!
Old 11-14-2016, 08:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hang in there Flame11, drinking will make things worse. I just got over being very sick and its annoying as hell, but like most things, this too shall pass. Stay strong.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you Totfit, good to know I'm not the only one who finds frustration difficult to cope with. Encouraging to hear that it will improve over time. Yes that lack of productivity can be very annoying and it gets to me. Wise words about turning the situation around I will try to remember that. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks Thomas, glad you are feeling better now. It is very annoying not feeling well and a time when I know I'm vulnerable to going and getting a drink to make myself feel better..if only for a short time. But I don't want that quick fix with all the suffering that comes with it anymore. I'm just going to have to learn a new way of coping. And thanks to SR I think I can do that.