Notices

Spoiled rotten to the core

Old 11-13-2016, 09:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Spoiled rotten to the core

I'm four days sober and feeling in high spirits. I bought myself a decent, wool winter coat for this winter since my old coat was probably left at a club last year. It was expensive, but I spend that much in the liquor store each month anyway, so thanks SR for pointing that out in my coat post.

My father bought me a new car yesterday, but he didn't give me the keys for obvious reasons. The new car is really nice, he got the leather interior and it's black with legally tinted windows, features I'd like. I think I might work better with positive incentives than negative ones because I'm looking forward to being able to drive again, and getting my freedom to leave Megamansion Canyon back. I promise I'll buy a breathalyzer when I get my keys just in case I slip up or something.

I am so spoiled. My best friend is in temporary housing right now because a pipe burst in her uninsured trailer, so the interior floor is soaked. At least the rats might be flooded out now. -_- It got to the point she was naming them based on their battle scars. Life isn't fair. I'm so thankful she's still there for me, even though she's probably jealous I have been given so much. She's the only person I have left.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Be a good friend and share it with her. give her a lift if she needs one. Listen when she needs it.

In other words pay it forward.

Way to go on 4 days
Old 11-13-2016, 10:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hopefully you're grateful. Congrats on day 4
Old 11-13-2016, 10:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Be a good friend and share it with her. give her a lift if she needs one. Listen when she needs it.

In other words pay it forward.

Way to go on 4 days
Thanks. Yeah, I was never really able to do that before because usually as soon as I got home, I'd crack open a bottle. I drove to her place drunk once because she said she was going to kill herself. Pretty sure I was speeding and ran a red light on my way there.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
sober style

Congrats on 4 days, vulturine.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello:

You promise to get yourself a breathalyzer when you get the keys???

It sound like the AV, giving yourself permission to drink.

Until drinking is off the table it's harder on us. It really is...
Old 11-13-2016, 10:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

We're all better friends sober Vulturine. I've read your thread lamenting your lost achievements. Something tells me you still have plenty of life and plenty potential. I really think you'll be well off as long as you stay sober.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on Day 4, Vulturine. I'm glad you appreciate the things you are given and I hope that you are able to move forward with your sobriety.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I think of spoiled I think of someone who is ungrateful for their possessions and have a sense of entitlement. It sounds like you are feeling guilty over the differences in material possessions with your friend. Guilt is on the opposite end of the spectrum from entitlement. Some people are born into better situations than others. You didn't choose your family and more than she chose hers.

I had a lot of material possessions at certain points of my life and I thought others were jealous of them. When I lost those things people still treated me the same. I assumed they were jealous because I thought they cared about material possessions the same way that I did. Most of them couldn't have cared less.

I don't think there is anything wrong with rewarding yourself in sobriety. We have treated ourselves like **** for a long time. I think it is good to take care of yourself.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vulturine View Post
I'm four days sober and feeling in high spirits.
You can be in high spirits for a long time, vulturine. You just need to take care of this problem once and for all, so that you can focus on building your life rather than wasting it. You have a family which still supports you, and that is always valuable in life.

We have an obligation to our families as well, though, even if we don't like to be around them all the time. That obligation is to not bring problems upon them which are easily avoided, such as those caused by alcohol addiction.

It's good that you see you have more than others, but give some thought to turning your life around as well. Do not waste any privileges that you've been given. You won't regret it, and that's probably all your family wants for you.
Old 11-13-2016, 12:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello:

You promise to get yourself a breathalyzer when you get the keys???

It sound like the AV, giving yourself permission to drink.

Until drinking is off the table it's harder on us. It really is...
Old 11-13-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You are fortunate Vulturine but it's great that you are also grateful for the good fortune and the generosity your father has shown you.

There's a lot you can do for yourself too and it has nothing to do with material possessions. I am glad you're in high spirits. You could use the energy and positive mood to start looking at the issues that brought you undone in the past.

Step by step, remember!?

All the best, MissP.
Old 11-13-2016, 03:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm rooting for you Vulturine! I live downtown by UofT and go to a lot of AA meetings where I see many young women like yourself struggling to stay sober as they move into the next phase of life after graduation. You got the rest of life ahead of you!
Old 11-13-2016, 05:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I hung out with an old friend today downtown. I've been blowing people off because I'm "sick" when really I'm shakey and feeling sick 3/7 days a week all the time.