Notices

Self diagnosing- Be quiet AV!

Old 11-12-2016, 10:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Self diagnosing- Be quiet AV!

Ok, coming here before like i should. So i have an appt for assessment on weds, havent drank since sunday with no problems. Feeling great. I actually have done some research and really have scored extremely high for ADD. It would explain so much of my life this far. Herein lies the problem, i have been invited to a party tonight for a close family member. Its for drinks, kind of a big deal. I have an out and used it, however now i am (or my av) considering have one last "shebang". Also considering saving my money on an assessment and actually seeing a psychologist. What are your opinions.....Rationalizing av sucks!
Old 11-12-2016, 10:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

To be honest, I'd go to the assessment. You're newly sober and feeling good and it might be better to seize that opportunity sooner rather than later! The last hurrah, oh my gosh I know that feeling. You feel good now and if you do drink, you know how you'll end up feeling and you'll be back at day one tomorrow.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by whatcouldbe View Post
...however now i am (or my av) considering have one last "shebang".
If you goal is sobriety, you stay sober.

If your goal is to continue to struggle with your drinking, and you want to roll the dice on ever getting sober, then by all means, drink.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Rationalizing av sucks!

and the AV loves people trying to rationalize because it knows the person loses when they start rationalizing.

"In psychology and logic, rationalization or rationalisation (also known as making excuses[1]) is a defense mechanism in which controversial behaviors or feelings are justified and explained in a seemingly rational or logical manner to avoid the true explanation, and are made consciously tolerable—or even admirable and superior—by plausible means.[2] It is also an informal fallacy of reasoning."

“There are cases where our ancient enemy, rationalization, has stepped in and has justified conduct which was really wrong. The temptation here is to imagine that we had good motives and reasons when we really didn’t. "

rationalization is giving a socially acceptable reason for socially unacceptable behavior, and socially unacceptable behavior is a form of insanity
Old 11-12-2016, 02:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whatcouldbe View Post
What are your opinions.....
You've been on SR for two and a half years, now, and have received a lot of support. You're asking, after all of this time, and many day one's, for opinions on getting drunk again and on paying to be diagnosed as alcoholic instead of actually quitting drinking.

My opinion is that you should seriously consider finally doing the obvious, instead of continuing the viscous cycle, but it would be best if you reached that conclusion on your own. My opinion is really not as important as yours on this matter, to be honest.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
You've been on SR for two and a half years, now, and have received a lot of support. You're asking, after all of this time, and many day one's, for opinions on getting drunk again and on paying to be diagnosed as alcoholic instead of actually quitting drinking.

My opinion is that you should seriously consider finally doing the obvious, instead of continuing the viscous cycle, but it would be best if you reached that conclusion on your own. My opinion is really not as important as yours on this matter, to be honest.
Thanks for being blunt...guess i was just looking for....who knows anymore..
Old 11-12-2016, 03:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You're welcome. What is your plan, then?
Old 11-12-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I wanted to one last shebang and I shebanged it over and over again for about 6 months before I realized I was wasting money I didn't have and valuable time I could have been putting into my recovery.
I could have had 9 months of sobriety by now. But I don't and I can't change that. But eventually I had to make the choice.

Do you want to go all in now or take the chance you may not be able to pull yourself back out again?

This is a bell that can't be unrung. You know you have a problem and have very little sober time under your belt. Is it worth it to you?

I get the allure of the one last time. In retrospect mine wasn't worth it. But hindsight being 20/20, it's helped reinforce the choice of sobriety in every future choice.
My feeling on it is generally when we're still rationalizing we're not quite ready for full immersion sobriety. I know I wasn't, until I was. I hope you get there before anything becomes a "too late" situation.
Old 11-12-2016, 03:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you heard my last hurrah story?

went out for one night of drinking in 2004 - didn't stop again till 2007.

Be smart and be safe. Use that out.

..and definitely get a proper professional diagnosis.

Dr Google is very handy but honestly a lot of that stuff is geared to making people think they have something when in many cases they do not.

D
Old 11-12-2016, 07:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks, all is good. I delved into painting and now am tired. Anxiety is peaked and also my need for instant gratification. Just have to realize this is a slow process when you go to the medical feild for help. No drink today...
Old 11-12-2016, 07:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi are you speaking of assessment for attention deficit?
Old 11-12-2016, 07:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey way to go on avoiding drinking tonight as well.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Hi are you speaking of assessment for attention deficit?
No, a drug and alcohol assessment to get an effective plan. I need to schedule appt for the other...
Old 11-12-2016, 11:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
If it were me, I think I would wait on having a formal assessment of anything involving my cognitive functioning or attention span one week after quitting alcohol. I was still pretty foggy at that point in time, and I don't know if anyone would have been able to get an accurate read on my true ability to focus or think coherently.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oh ok. Well is AA a thing you could utilize before that?
Old 11-13-2016, 05:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am doing great this am. Just a struggle last night with the av but painted, read alot, and went to bed early. Looking fwd to a productive day!
Old 11-13-2016, 05:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good for you whatcouldbe Glad to hear it. Getting through those times is what it's all about.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You know, getting support is a great plan, but in the end, it has to come down to you. Not a diagnosis, not a doctor, not even SR. Tools are a huge help but we still have to step up and own it.

Good for you for a great start.