Notices

Newcomer

Old 11-11-2016, 11:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer

I have a drinking problem and need help. I am not sure where to turn.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

SR is a good start. I read here each night. Do you drink every day/night? I'm a fan of seeing a doctor and getting a checkup and being honest about how much you drink. It's a good first step towards getting healthy.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You made a great first step by coming here. It has kept me sober for 41 days. 41 days ago I woke up after a drunken blackout, hungover and embarrassed. I was panicking and Google searched something like "so shameful after blackout drunk again." The search brought me to this site. Read through the Necomers threads and look for the plans that Dee posts. You will find lots of help and support here. Best wishes
Old 11-11-2016, 11:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Right in the direction you've turned. I found this place 5 days
ago and I've been sober 4. Be honest, be open, don't be shy and
keep an open mind. One of my first pieces of advice was post! Even
When you don't feel like posting.
My advice to you quit drinking and post your journey.
You will find people very similar to you.
Join the class of November. I'm there poring my heart out. ��
Old 11-12-2016, 12:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Honesty, I drink about every two days but the amount is huge. I can drink a 12 pack of beer in a day. I am not a social drinker. I always drink alone. I hate who I have become. I used to say I drink because my one and only son has leukemia but now I think I use it more as an excuse. What do you do when you get the urge to drink and you just can do it?
Old 11-12-2016, 12:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Here's what I am not understanding. This drinking creates extreme anxiety and panic attacks. I also have stomach issues. So my question is... why??? Why do I continue to do this to myself? It is so stupid but I just don't stop doing it.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I am sorry that your son is sick, that would definitely cause lots of anxiety. Alcohol makes us more anxious, do you have any supports to help you with your anxiety?
Old 11-12-2016, 12:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have a therapist for my anxiety and he is aware that I have a drinking problem but I still continue to drink. I'll be honest, I am really scared right now because I can't control this. Inpatient treatment is not really an option for me. How do I fight these urges?
Old 11-12-2016, 01:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's not easy!!
But you just got to do it.
You've got to remind yourself of how it really makes you feel. Temporary relief for an aftermath of hangover, guilt and anxiety twice as bad as it already was until you have the next drink. And that next drink WILL take less and less time for you to have.
The drinking doesn't help you. It doesn't fix the awful situation you are in, it doesn't fix the way you feel about it.
I drank 12 plus everyday up until 4 days ago. I wasn't always that bad but it progresses and it progresses sneakily until you feel like you have been doing it your whole life and if you dont stop you will be doing it your whole life.
Am I right Maggie?
I am VERY newly sober but am not new at trying and I don't want to seem like I think I have all the answers, I dont. But I am an empathetic person and I feel your pain and know what you are going through (not in terms of what you are going through with your son) and I want you to stop doing it to yourself. xx
Old 11-12-2016, 01:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

First step. Make the decision to stop. Can you do that?
Old 11-12-2016, 01:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Mags- it is hard. Anxiety is made worse by alcohol. Have you had a physical checkup with your doctor? Stuff like iron levels, blood pressure etc can make a difference. What to do when get the urge? DISTRACT! Do something- paint, share here- 50 times a day, pray, go to church, go to a meeting for AA-get a sponsor. Go for a walk, clean the house- even if it is 0300. Do anything you can think of that is safe and productive. Remember to follow HALTS. If you are Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired or Sad- what can you do to fix it or minimise it? Focus on the moment- approach things one at a time and keep it simple and safe. (KISS?)
Old 11-12-2016, 01:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Mags it just starts with one day.....you have such a lot going on I know but being a bit brave now will change your life I'm sure. Post often (no matter how bad you feel) and you will get a lot of support. Anxiety is a tricky trigger to the quick fix of a drink but it only makes it worse in the long run. Take care.....we are here for you xxx
Old 11-12-2016, 01:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maggie0119 View Post
Here's what I am not understanding. This drinking creates extreme anxiety and panic attacks. I also have stomach issues. So my question is... why??? Why do I continue to do this to myself? It is so stupid but I just don't stop doing it.

You are addicted Mags that's why......no shame in it but choose to make a change. Choose today as your day one please......rooting for you xxx
Old 11-12-2016, 07:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, you've found a wonderful community that is here to help.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mags and welcome

Self medicating anxiety with alcohol is pretty futile - or at least it was for me. The original anxiety always came back and over time I also developed an anxiety about wanting a drink as well, so my problem was doubled...

You'll find a lot of support and encouragement here. I used to be an all day everyday drinker...but SR helped me change - I know this community can help you too.

It all starts with a day one. (See your Dr if you're concerned about detox)
Old 11-12-2016, 03:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to have you with us, Maggie. The friendship & understanding here helps us to not feel alone. I had no one in my life who realized what I was going through, until I found SR. I'm glad you want to make this big change in your life.
Old 11-12-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope the wonderful support and wisdom here can help you get sober for good. Get thru a day, an hour, a minute at a time. You can do this!
Old 11-12-2016, 06:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi Maggie! How are you today?
Old 11-13-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Just a Girl Trying to Make It...

Welcome, Maggie. Start with a plan....AA, outpatient rehab, SMART Recovery, posting here, there are lots of options. Post here, that's a great start
Old 11-13-2016, 12:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Maggie!!