Administrator

Class of February 2015 Part 4

continues from here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-4-a-20.html

D
Old 11-15-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee!

Just checking in on a gloomy day in NY. My sobriety hasn't really been tested in recent days, and I think that's a good thing that's proving that a lot of my hard work has paid off.

I'm still embarrassed that we elected Trump and my office is near Trump Tower, so been dealing with protestors and then heightened security. As opposed to wanting to drink though, I find myself venting the frustration via exersize and just going to bed early after turning off my phone and just watching junk TV (no more CNN).

I'm hoping that getting through this sober will keep me prepared for when something goes wrong in my personal life. In personal life, I know I can't always just shut off my phone and stop dealing with the issue, but at least I feel a bit more confident in my ability to get through an emotionally turbulent time without turning to alcohol.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh, and my weight loss is continuing to go very well. The last couple times I lost serious weight, I was drinking and I know that contributed to the weight coming back.

Now about 2 months into a doctor supervised diet, I'm no longer seeing daily weight loss results, but that's normal and Week over week, still getting about 1.5-2 pounds, depending on how much water I have in my system.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just checking in. Still going strong with weight loss and sobriety.

With Thanksgiving coming up, I feel as though both of those key parts of my life are something I need to focus on. Obviously overeating is a big issue on Thanksgiving. My mom is a great cook, so I'm 100% partaking in the meal, but will limit myself to just one full plate for the main meal and one serving of dessert. Not going to allow myself to go in for seconds or thirds, which I've been known to do. For alcohol, it will be at my parents house and so I know there's a neverending supply of club soda via the sodastream.

I'm expecting politics to come up, and like every extended family, we have people who gladly voted for Trump. I'm planning to completely stay out of any discussions or just keep my cool and avoid any temptation to drink to take the edge off. Mentally, I feel like I'm in a good place right now, so I'm confident I'll keep
my cool and not give into the temptation to drink and/or overeat.

Ready, haven't seen you here in over a month. I hope you are doing well and had a nice weekend!
Old 11-27-2016, 06:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've gotten through Thanksgiving weekend without any alcohol cravings, despite there being ample opportunity to drink.

On the food end, I was really good until last night, when I ate too many leftovers and slices of pizza. Over the long weekend, I got lots of long runs and elliptical sessions, so all in all, don't feel too bad about the overeating yesterday. And as I've noted in the past, while trying to lose weight, it does stink when I overeat, but there's maybe just some heart burn and a slightly upset stomach, not pounding headaches, bad nausea and worst of all, mental humiliation.

I hope everyone else had a nice Thanksgiving.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Seems this thread is coming to an end.

My sobriety and diet are still going well. With this diet, I'm feeling the healthiest I have in a long time. I'm getting close to my goal weight and feel as though I can maintain the weight since I've realized I can still eat stuff I like while just reducing carb intake.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Checking in early on this Wednesday morning. Diet and sobriety are both going well, but it's a stressful time of year for me and making sure I am staying increasingly vigilant. Last night I was super stressed and overrate a bit. Thought briefly about drinking too, but got my wits about me and went for about a 2-mile walk just to regrouped realize that if I woke up early the rest of the week, I'd catch up on the work that I'm behind. Both in packing for an upcoming trip, and my actual work. On top of that, I have homework for my night classes. I've caved in the past when this has all come up, it I'm feeling pretty good overall right now.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you're doing all you can for a different outcome nymets

D
Old 12-18-2016, 04:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee!

Things remain good here. Very happy with my weight loss and still working to get down to my goal weight. The holiday season has been a bit tempting, but I haven't had any close calls. I haven't been quite as social as I'd have hoped, but I'm still feeling well mentally.

Starting Christmas Day, I have a two week vacation overseas with my family. I'm beyond excited. With my family, not drinking is much easier than any other social setting and the fact that I'm feeling really good about my appearance also helps. When overweight, I'm self conscious about taking pictures, but right now, that's not an issue.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi all. Just checking in.

Festive season was okay. Nothing really fun and nothing that made me want to drink.

Have an appointment with a psych soon about my bariatric surgery. I'm not really hoping very much. Sort of feel a bit like Red from Shawshank Redemption where he's just given up trying to get out of jail. I'll be as brutally honest with the psych as he was in the movie.

Also trying to get a loan for a home. This is fairly exciting and something I thought would be out of my reach forever. Oh well.. Guess that means I'm doing okay.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Nice to see you posting Mets.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you hear from you and that you've stayed sober DD.

I hope you find your own personal Zihuatanejo this year
Old 01-06-2017, 10:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm glad you hear from you and that you've stayed sober DD.

I hope you find your own personal Zihuatanejo this year
Hi Dee - What's Zihuatanejo? The Mexican city?

Hope you're doing well as well.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I thought that was the place Red and Andy met up in again at the end ?

D
Old 01-09-2017, 03:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That's a fantastic scene at the end of that film....not positive of the name of the city, so I'll take Dee's word for it.

DD, good luck with the surgery. My weight loss has boosted my self esteem, my mood, and just about everything else in my life dramatically.

I've just returned from the most amazing vacation of my life. It was me and my parents and it was a true adventure. For privacy's sake, I won't go into details, but it was probably the most beautiful place on Earth and we had picture perfect weather. Despite ample food, I also weighed myself when I got home today to see I was down one pound (not much for two weeks, but I ate outside my diet, so feared I'd gain weight). The whole trip, my sobriety was only slightly tested New Year's Eve when handed a glass of champagne by someone else in our tour group. I simply raised the glass for toasts and never sipped it. Then I casually walked up to the bar, placed it down, and asked the bartender for a Coke Light.

All in all, in the tour group, I don't think anyone had a problem with alcohol. I was around them a lot and never saw anyone drunk. There were also other non-drinkers, but everyone was so consumed with stories from the day to really care about booze. Those without drinking problems sipped wine and everyone headed to bead at around 11.

I'm progressing to the point where I want to seriously consider dating again. This trip was so fantastic, my weight is down, I haven't had any serious relapse issues since last March, work is good, etc. I'm meeting with my therapist on Wednesday and really want to focus on the dating topic. I know that it will test my sobriety, but I am feeling very co fortable in my own skin right now and since that was a common reason for me drinking, I feel well equipped right now.

DD and Dee, glad to see you here. Ready, I hope all is well!
Old 01-15-2017, 08:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Pretty quiet weekend here, saw some friends to watch sports, then did a 10-mile run today and watched football.

All in all, things are going well.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

So I had a doctor visit today. My BMI is now safely in the "normal" range, my blood pressure is much better than where it was (wasn't bad before, but was elevated), and my weight is down just over 40 pounds.

My current plan is to lose about 10 more pounds, which will put me in the middle of the "normal" BMI, but I want to add some muscle in the process. My doctor gave me some good tips on "body weight lifting" which basically is sit ups and push-ups and just tones the body, doesn't bulk you up.

As I did with sobriety and weight loss, I'm nervous to start it and uncomfortable stepping outside my comfort zone, but I know that in the long run, I'll be better off if I tackle this challenge.

Hope everyone is doing well!
Old 01-17-2017, 05:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you enjoy the workout nymets

D
Old 01-25-2017, 02:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. The two year anniversary of my horrific night is now less than a month away.

Very proud of the progress I've made in bettering my life since that night. There have been plenty of bumps in the road, but I feel so much better about myself and so much better about my future than I did in the days following my hospitalization.

Hope everyone is doing alright.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

wishing the best for you too mets

D
Old 02-02-2017, 05:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi all,
Now about two weeks away from the two year anniversary of my hospitalization.

Just want it to serve as a reminder for all the profess I've made the last two years and why it's all worth it. My life is just so much better in so many different ways.

Right now, I'm struggling a bit keeping the momentum on my diet, but still sticking to the ecersize routine and not reallly overeating. So I'm really just maintaining weight (which is now in the "healthy" BMI range), but not getting rid of the last few pounds I do want to shed.

As far as drinking goes. Situational temptations do still pop up where I want to order a drink instead of the club soda. But every time I chose the club soda, my brain realizes quite quickly how it was the right decision and I sort of give myself a mental pat on the back. It's still far from the point where I just never think about booze, and I'm not sure if that day will ever come where it's never even a consideration, but for the time being, I'm happy with where I am at in controlling the urges when they do arise.

Have a nice day everybody.