Ask police to search house?

Old 11-10-2016, 07:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ask police to search house?

My mom thinks I am paranoid for even thinking about this, but I really am wondering if I can/should ask them to.

AXH has been out of the house for over 7 months now. I've done some pretty thorough cleaning and looking for drugs since then. But I'm terrified that there may still be some lurking somewhere- especially in the garage. He has so much stuff in there- boxes inside of boxes inside of boxes. And I can't get rid of anything until our settlement is done.

My fear is that he'll (finally!) be caught using drugs. As I understand it, if one parent comes under scrutiny the other will, too. So what happens if they come to my house and find drugs here? I'd be willing to submit to a drug test, but would that clear me? I do have divorce paperwork that shows I TRIED to prove he was using and that I sought sole custody, but is that enough?

Are there any dangers to asking them to search my house? Is this something they would do, anyway? Send a K-9 unit, perhaps? Do I need to worry about this?
Old 11-10-2016, 07:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, Hechose. I don't know why, but I would be reluctant to get police involved. Not sure if they would even do a search because you asked them to. Perhaps those with more experience with police officers can weigh in. How about going through the boxes yourself with a friend? That way, you could find and destroy his stash, and also organize the stuff for an eventual post settlement removal. Maybe you could consolidate stuff and get rid of empty boxes. I don't think that is going counter to directive.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am not suggesting that you organize his stuff for his convenience. I am saying, go through the boxes for possible stash, and get rid of some clutter at the same time. I am, it must be said, a born organizer. So I was taking the two birds with one stone approach. You alone should decide how to roll. Peace.
Old 11-11-2016, 12:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

Not sure what area you are in, but if you do a google on "preventive K9 drug search" or "private dope dog" there are quite a few companies that will do drug searches for a fee and they are not required to report it to the police.

IMO, I would not invite a LEO into my home to search for drugs. Just because you say they are not yours, and that you would test clean...doesn't get you out of a possession or child endangerment charge. How many times do they hear "it's not mine"?
Old 11-11-2016, 03:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That is a fabulous idea, cynical one! Why didn't I think of it?
Old 11-11-2016, 10:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

cynical one is the bomb!
Old 11-11-2016, 10:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Pay them cash...no record they were there that way.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had no idea there was such a thing- will look into it, thanks!
Old 11-11-2016, 11:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Excellent suggestion, CO, as always.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Have you consulted a lawyer? It sounds like there is a lot involved to risk any kind of unintentional misstep that could impact your future situation.

Also, I don't know exactly how things like "probable cause" work but I do know that when my dad wanted the police to come breathalyze me or bring me to the station to do it, they wouldn't because they had no grounds (I hadn't done anything illegal or even citation worthy, was over 21, etc)....perhaps some of the same rules and regs apply to drug "possession" situations.

It sounds like a sticky wicket to me. Be careful.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Have you consulted a lawyer? It sounds like there is a lot involved to risk any kind of unintentional misstep that could impact your future situation.
My lawyer is worthless. I don't really ask her any questions anymore, because the answer is always, "I don't know" and then I get billed for it. If it were my money, I would have switched lawyers a long time ago. She is WAYYYY overpriced. My other lawyer was awful, too, so I went with the most expensive one in town, hoping that she would be worth the money. My dad is footing the bill, and insisted that he wouldn't be paying for another one. So I'm stuck with her. I just wish he realized paying the retainer for a new lawyer is nothing compared to keeping her on and having to pay her ridiculous fees for doing nothing.

Anyway, I'm glad I asked this question instead of jumping the gun and calling the police. I think that would have been a mistake.

Thanks all.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ask the police if they can do a "courtesy check". They do in my town, if anything it found, no questions asked. Years ago, I had brought a used car, and had it done, nothing was found
Old 11-12-2016, 01:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i can't imagine an addict who would knowingly leave drugs behind.....
Old 11-12-2016, 01:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I realize addicts guard their drugs with all their might. Paraphernalia and residue is my main concern. I just want to be sure I'm not associated with his use whatsoever.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

well i would suspect that if he got caught with drugs on him, that still gives the cops no reason to descend upon a house he has not lived in for 7 months?? they would have no compelling reason to do so......he's not likely to have much on him - i assume he isn't dealing or moving large quantities. most possession charges do not include a sweep of a residence...that is no longer a residence.

for peace of mind are you allowed to move his stuff to a storage facility?