Notices

Relapse due to dental anxiety and pain

Old 11-10-2016, 03:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapse due to dental anxiety and pain

Having more than 2 years under my belt and being so proud of it, I have relapsed in the fear of upcoming root canal (scheduled tomorrow).

The previous root canal was 8 years ago, the pain the next day was horrible and never really, completely went away; hence, leading to self-medication with alcohol and all the problems.

No I am terrified and a bit in pain, so I drank yesterday (just enough to take my anxiety away, felt totally sober after 2 hours). And today I deliberately purchased alcohol and drank a bit. Takes my dental anxiety away, but now the fear of an unmanagable relapse takes over.
I have a young baby to take care of, and my husband would be terrified if he found out I am self-medicating again.

Apparently, I can deal with anything life throws at me sober (my Mom passing away suddenly while I was pregnant), but not with dental issues

Any advice?
Old 11-10-2016, 03:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi ugnius - all I can tell you is I had many root canals after I got sober...I'd heard the horror stories too but I had very little pain - easily managed with over the counter Ibuprofen pain killers.

Only one didn't go as planned and had to be done again and there was no pain with that one either.

Dump the booze - it's really not doing anything for the worry or pain, anyway, is it?

Plug yourself in here, use any other sober support you have - and have a chat to your dentist tomorrow and tell them you're really scared. I'm sure they'll be able to put your mind at ease

D
Old 11-10-2016, 03:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ugnius View Post

Having more than 2 years under my belt and being so proud of it, I have relapsed in the fear of upcoming root canal (scheduled tomorrow).
I would make a firm decision to get my 2 years back
one day at a time.

Twice I fell short of 3 years.
Goal this time around -- to get those 3 years.
It's been 9 years now living a sober lifestyle.

Pretty simple -- if alcoholic ?? -- please start over asap.

M-Bob
Old 11-10-2016, 03:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

I'd find a better dentist. Root canals don't need to hurt that much!
Old 11-10-2016, 03:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dee74, thank you so much!

The dentist is, in fact, a family friend and she is amazing. A month ago I had fillings done by her and the whole experience was painless, top-up of anestesia whenever I felt it was needed, etc.
Unfortunately, the deep filling in one tooth was too much for the tooth to take (lots of decay), so root canal is needed.

I have been worrying about the procedure so much I actually fainted last week (no appetite, no sleep - woke up on the kitchen floor).

I guess my past experience with root canal is so sad and painful that I am terrified tomorrow's gonna be the same. But now, as opposed to 8 years ago, I am a mother and a wife; thus, there is no room for being reckless and relapsing...
Old 11-10-2016, 03:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

I've had 2 root canals and although uncomfortable... The pain was manageable. Maybe you could talk to your doctor and get medication to relax you. I know they offered me some before mine.

Drinking will not help... You know !
Old 11-10-2016, 04:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Your addiction has found a way in...again. Previously, you said a drink would cure your anxiety, depression and boredom. This time it's fear about an upcoming dental procedure. If will find something else the next time if you keep letting it.

Don't know what you've been doing for your recovery, if anything. Time to shore up your defenses. Stay close to SR. Dump the booze. Take drinking off the table.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Modern dentistry is pretty great...and if this dentist is a friend so much the better. I'm sure things will go ok Ugnius

D
Old 11-10-2016, 06:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Your addiction has found a way in...again. Previously, you said a drink would cure your anxiety, depression and boredom. This time it's fear about an upcoming dental procedure. If will find something else the next time if you keep letting it.

Don't know what you've been doing for your recovery, if anything. Time to shore up your defenses. Stay close to SR. Dump the booze. Take drinking off the table.
I agree 100%. It's AV excuses kicking in. Call your dentist and let them know about your anxiety, it's very common and they will give you some meds for it.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Do you see anyone for your anxiety? That may be more of a problem than the dentist or the procedure in istelf. I suffer from Anxiety and I can tell you that the absolute worst possible thing you can do is drink alcohol, it will actually make it worse.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When we're actively drinking we have much less pain tolerance because we've messed up our brain chemistry by substituting alcohol for the feel-good chemicals our sober bodies produce.

If you had gone into the procedure you would have probably been surprised at how relatively easy it was. Get rid of the booze before your addiction wakes up all the way and takes over!

Dentists have lots of way of deal with anxious patients these days...just be honest with her.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am definitely not a fan of the dentist, I dread whenever I need to go. I deal with anxiety as well, and have worked with my doctor to help me deal with it. Give your doctor a call and make an appointment to talk about your anxiety.

I have just about 10 and a half months sober, and look forward to hitting one year and then two. You have already found ways to stay sober for two years, look back and see what worked with your plan, and what you may need today.

You can do this!
Old 11-10-2016, 08:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
AA member

There are no reasons to drink,only excuses.

Drinking only makes everything worse,never better, if you are an Alcoholic.

Modern pain control is so good and Dentists are usually brilliant in the use of it.

I really hope you get back to your sober life,

Wishing you well,especially at the Dentist.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've had a few root canals over the years and only one was uncomfortable while I was in the dental office. Beyond that, etc pain medication worked. Maybe you are not comfortable with your specific dentist? Talk to him/her and hopefully you will be able to relax a bit for the procedure. Good luck!
Old 11-10-2016, 10:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Ugnius,

I had a few root canals in my life, all over 10 years ago, when dentistry was far less developed. Some with no discomfort at all and I recall one that was quite uncomfortable during the procedure but not at all after. I never needed any sort of pain medication following the procedures. If you had long-term pain and discomfort remaining after the old root canal, I would think it was not done well/completely or you probably had inflammation that wasn't managed. I don't think that is normal or should be expected. If you have discomfort, they will be able to figure it out and help.

Drinking the day(s) before the procedure may actually increase the discomfort as alcohol withdrawal is known to cause enhanced sensitivity in a few ways. Try to take your mind off with other distractions that you enjoy.
Good luck!
Old 11-10-2016, 11:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My feeling is that the problem here isn't so much What you're feeling fearful of. More the fact that a small part of you still thinks of alcohol as a viable solution to fearful situations and pain.

My suggestion would be to climb back on that waggon, and start building your sobriety back up a day at a time, and do some real seeking around fear and ways to deal with it, building this into your recovery plan.

Don't envy you the root canal though. I'm a big wuss for any dental procedure (even the cleaning and having someone poking about in my mouth for a checkup). I go for the max amount of injected pain relief possible, and use breathing exercises and meditation exercises to stay as calm as possible. Can they knock you out for root canal?