Notices

trying

Old 11-09-2016, 10:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

trying

well... that's part of my name - should be umpteen again

was doing ok until today & got a b-day card today postmarked 10/29 about a couple weeks late from a sister that must have freaked out on the last address line - was totally wrong & the post office found it's way to me. she wrote her city - then wrote my city over it & ended w/ her zip code...odd - she lived in our hometown like 68 yrs.

have you ever kinda cut ties w/ a family member - let your feelings fly, meaning expressed them- i suck, i did - but then again i think i don't because i have lived in a very 0 affection communicating family that "love you" was never said, hugs never given. supposedly i sent that sister into a deep depression when i did express how i felt about her - she's oldest - i'm youngest - like 16 yrs difference between us, never close.

i come from a very closed family & i kinda suspect & wish i knew i'm not the only one suffering w/ alcohol a problem here
Old 11-09-2016, 10:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i know...suck it up & deal w/ it - it's about as much help as I've found here
Old 11-09-2016, 11:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Try2

Something we say hurt other people...sometimes we don't mean it and other times we might...we're all human...

the best thing we can do is try to make amends, if you think they're warranted...

the worst thing we can do is try and punish ourselves or numb ourselves by drinking...

My family is not very demonstrative either, but I'm nearly 50 now and I've learned I can be exactly who I want to be.

I might be an old dog, but I've found I can learn a few new tricks

i know...suck it up & deal w/ it - it's about as much help as I've found here
that surprises me. Are you drinking right now?

D
Old 11-09-2016, 11:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow, I'm actually in a similar situation with a sibling and there's definitely drinking problems for both of us. Dee is right though--he always is --we can only control our own behavior and feelings. You can do what you can to reach out to her when you're ready, but it sounds like now your focus is you and your sobriety, which is great!
Welcome back, Try.

Wishing you well.

Delfin
Old 11-09-2016, 11:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

just turned 53 -me being the baby (that's something ridiculous to say at my age) & having 4 much older sisters I seriously don't even know them because of age difference = accident. sucks never having had a close family.

this is just ridiculous but it just set me off today - made me think...drinking
Old 11-09-2016, 11:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not close to my family either - we've gotten better but it's never gonna be The Brady Bunch or the Waltons.

I do have a family of choice tho - friends and loved ones - and that makes all the difference for me

Honestly, all drinking is going to do today is make you feel more sad....

I'm assuming you're Stateside if you have a zip code...why not pour out what you have left and hit the sack?

D