Notices

Elections: Drinking

Old 11-08-2016, 08:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Elections: Drinking

The election results are coming rapidly in my country (The U.S.). I am very concerned and have taken the medication my doctor prescribed to help with sleep. After 28 years of sobriety and all that has happened to me since 1988 I am convinced that only one thing is important in my life- sobriety. If I start to lose sobriety again I may well die quickly. If that happens it will be a blessing since any alternative will be to reenter the hell from which I have returned. I shall not be sober merely for my family, my wife, children, grandchildren but, selfishly, because I do not want to return to hell. To make sure of this I shall follow all the instructions of my newly acquired primary care physician. If the the end of all of it may come, all of it, 5,000 years of upward progress to attain glimpses of humanity, the things I have grown to love: lilies, irises, azaleas, lilac trees, great c;lassic art, poetry (Keats, Shelley, Thomas Gray, Wordsworth), my family, my dog. My hopeless love for those now gone; if these are left I shall be content, even though I may no longer exist (yet how can "content" be when there is no one left to suffer? Sobriety is everything. Let us stick together on SR! In companionship there is enormous power-to survive all things.

Fondly,

Bill
Old 11-08-2016, 08:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Regardless of who you support, drinking is a criminally self destructive way to deal with grief, anger...or jubilation.

It's also a very inefficient way to deal with fear, or to register your protest at a vote.

Lets all stay committed to recovery

D
Old 11-08-2016, 08:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, Dee, and thank you. That's the essence of what I wished to say. Life is a gift, sobriety a gift. Wisdom too. And love.

Bill
Old 11-08-2016, 09:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm really not used to soiling myself when I'm sober, but tonight it's a distinct possibility.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
Yes, Dee, and thank you. That's the essence of what I wished to say. Life is a gift, sobriety a gift. Wisdom too. And love.

Bill
Good night Bill. You are a dear man. I need my sleep med as well tonight.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I miraculously stayed sober tonight and I'm really glad I didn't drink. However, I did need lots of anti-anxiety meds and melatonin and they ain't doing the trick (still awake after midnight). I was in touch with my Mom and she was taking a tranquilizer to get through this. We will all be sick in the morning here, but at least not from drinking.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you stayed sober Juno

D
Old 11-08-2016, 10:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

No amount of drugs or drinking will change what will be
Old 11-08-2016, 10:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Drinking won't make anything "go away" If only
Old 11-08-2016, 10:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes folks. As an American I am very afraid too.
I'm also afraid for the rest of the world and what we are about to unleash upon you.
This is a very big night because there will be giant changes in America within two years. If I was young I would be leaving the country.
So I understand your anxiety Painter. I hope you will hang onto your sobriety. We need you.
You have inspired me before and hopefully you will do it again.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

And with you on that Clear Light... sigh what a year to get sober...
Old 11-08-2016, 10:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh thank you, Dee! Just to be clear, I didn't take anything that wasn't prescribed by my doctor and when my Mom said she took a tranquilizer, I know she's okay - she doesn't abuse drugs or alcohol (unlike me, who abuses alcohol - thankfully not pills!) So yeah, not drinking was a good thing tonight. I will be tired in the morning but not hungover. Hangovers are the WORST!! I will take my dog for a walk and the sun will rise, as Dee said. I take comfort in that I'm not alone here in my anxiety over this election.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

sleepy - to do what I will have to do to get by I will need to be sober from now on.
Very frightening.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

IF Trump wins tonight there is still a slim hope. The founders of our country set up a system to insure that a nut case could not take power. The "electors", i.e. those representatives who ACTUALLY vote to put a president in power are not bound to cast their votes as the public does!!!! Here is a quote from Wikipedia "Although no elector is required by federal law to honor a pledge, there have been very few occasions when an elector voted contrary to a pledge"

I take this to mean that electors are not required to follow the public's wishes, as expressed in the general election. I hope I'm correct about this and it's not my wishful thinking.

I have always had a problem with part of our system, at least until this election. Now I see the wisdom of it.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'll be shivering in the dark under my blankets until it's over, while convincing my self that this jar of peanut butter is an anxyolotic.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

awuh1 - IF ONLY!! Wow, that would be amazing. But it's a slim hope.

How does one sleep after this? I have to get up in 4 hours and I'm still awake. All sorts of worries are entering my head like the safety of the planet, etc.

I have 3 teenage kids and all are democratic leaning - my oldest one is almost 18 and missed being able to vote by one month. She is asking me to move to the UK since she was born there and loves it (however, she is not a UK citizen). They have their own problems with this Brexit thing. And my middle child has high functioning autism and is saying that we have to move to Canada because he doesn't feel safe having Trump as president. I did explain to him that, while this is an appealing idea, it is not possible. My work and life are here as well as family, etc. We can't just up and move to Canada. Thankfully, my youngest just takes it all in stride and says "Whatever" and then makes fun of Trump and goes back to playing his video games.

Now to move on somehow, stay in my beloved country... how does one do that?
Old 11-08-2016, 11:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Juno11, I don't know, but the more I think about this the more I think it is possible. Many old school republicans hate Trump. Some "electors" might see the wisdom (for the republican party at the very least) of preventing a Trump presidency. Republicans could generate a movement from within their own ranks.

If the vote is very close in the general election, the chances are better of switching a few of these electoral college votes.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Very scared and surprised at this outcome. I need to stop drinking. This is a good reason to sober up and start making a difference.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

awuh1, I hope you are right!
Old 11-08-2016, 11:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I couldn't be happier. This is reason no. 24435 not to drink ever again.