Notices

New Beginnings?

Old 11-06-2016, 01:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Beginnings?

Good evening,

I am 28 years old and have a problem with abusing alcohol. I have tried to cut down many times previously but in this I am clearly just not as strong on my own as I am in other areas of my life. From tomorrow I will be counting day by day, logging and trying to ride out urges and starting to distance myself from people and situations that may cause me to drink.

I have decided to put out as many feelers to help myself as I can, and this forum seemed like a great place to start.

Hopefully I can post again soon with some positive feedback on how this journey is going for me!
Old 11-06-2016, 01:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA Member

hi emzeh

i was 29 also when i went to aa and got some help

i cant get drunk if i dont take the 1st drink

its the 1st drink that gets me drunk not the 20th

theres lots of good support here

God bless

Old 11-06-2016, 02:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I guess I have never considered it that way before...wise words! I have just turned down the offer of a can of lager... not a massive step in the grand scheme of things but I can't deny the small pang of pride it gave me. Unfortunately I know it's not always going to be as easy...still at that new and determined stage where I haven't started arguing with myself as to why I deserve a drink (I can be very persuasive!)
Old 11-06-2016, 02:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, many great people here to help you with your sobriety. The early days are a bit difficult, but I think most will agree with me that it is definitely worth it in the long run. And in time, the thought of drinking will become less and less. Its about a year for me...I rarely think about drinking.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Emzeh!

I'm glad you found us and decided to post.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to have you with us, Emzeh.

I wish I could go back to my 20's and do what you're doing. I lost many years of my life insisting I could manage my drinking. You'll never regret taking a hard look at what alcohol does to your life. This is a great place for encouragement. You can do it!
Old 11-06-2016, 07:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, Emzeh!

If you haven't already, feel free to join us in the Class of November 2016 thread found on this same forum. It's a great way to learn from and help others who are newly sober.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum Em.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad to have you here. Day 6 for me so in a similar position, but SR is definitely a great place to come for inspiration! Good luck x
Old 11-07-2016, 01:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Emz,

Good job on turning down the lager.

I turned down free beer all week. No thank you.

Folks asked why? I said I quit for my health.

That was it. I was drinking refreshing water.

It was a bit hard at first. I reminded myself, I could drink everyday, all day...if I wanted to. Who cares about free booze.

I remembered ea. Time that I was addicted to booze...I will crave forever.

Then I filled up on food, and the crave went away.

Thanks.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Emzeh.

Yes, join November Class as Casey suggests. I'm in November Class as well, following a hideous relapse at 8 months sober. Top job turning down the lager.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Emzeh, I am so happy for you. You mentioned not being "strong" enough. For me, the only strength involved was in admitting that I am totally powerless (i.e. "weak) over alcohol, and cannot ever have ONE SINGLE DRINK, EVER.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Emzeh View Post
I guess I have never considered it that way before...wise words! I have just turned down the offer of a can of lager... not a massive step in the grand scheme of things but I can't deny the small pang of pride it gave me. Unfortunately I know it's not always going to be as easy...still at that new and determined stage where I haven't started arguing with myself as to why I deserve a drink (I can be very persuasive!)
Welcome! Hope to see you stick around.

Indeed- it is our THINKING that must change in order to quit and stay done with the actual DRINKING.

A program is a must: making a plan, and sticking to it. In early days, just turning down a drink is actually a HUGE thing (not a little one in any scheme) .... things like not putting yourself in a place where you'd need to choose that is even more important.

What's your plan- today?

I'm an AA-er myself, and it has saved my life. Many around here use SMART and other programs- the critical part is finding one and truly giving it a chance by putting it in place in your life. AA is probably the most simple- at the start, you don't drink and you go to meetings. The sole requirement for "membership" is a desire to stop drinking.

There is a lot of help, here, too (though I am one of those who will vouch for the IRL approach as their main path to success)- have you found the Class of November 2016 under Newcomers' Daily Support Threads? Folks quitting in any given month gather on individual threads.

I hope you give sobriety a chance- it is so much better on this side.

Good luck.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Ezmeh- you have did a good thing to here have posted. Having an awareness and doing something positive now will help you for the rest of your life. Good stuff. Serious stuff. Keep posting- strength in unity. PJ
Old 11-07-2016, 10:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your supportive feedback, I can officially cross off day 2 (which I actually have done on a calender print out I brought home today and stuck on my fridge!)

Been looking at various plans to see what I feel will be the best option for me. Haven't decided on a long term just yet, but I have bought a giant notebook to go through an 'Action Plan for Prevention and Recovery' that I found on here. I think turning my gaze inwards and really identifying my reasons and triggers will do a great deal for me personally.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You're thinking is really great Emzeh. I'm getting that giant notebook too.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
You're thinking is really great Emzeh. I'm getting that giant notebook too.
In which I case I hope it helps us both Steely! It certainly won't be the only stepping stone but going forward one is better than none...or backwards...!
Old 11-07-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Emzeh!!