Notices

Smart???

Old 11-06-2016, 08:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smart???

Hey everyone! Has anyone ever tried SMART Recovery? I just found a meeting 10 min from my house and am gonna check it out. I also joined their on-line community.

I've been in AA for years and have worked the 12 steps several times. There is something that has just never felt right for me in AA and I'm excited to try something new.

Just looking for feedback on SMART.

Thx!
Old 11-06-2016, 08:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I haven't personally used SMART, Kiki, but I've heard many good things about it from other members.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have looked into SMART a bit. No meetings in my area. Seems like a good program and online presence. Let us have your. Feedback, would you, KiKi? Thanks.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sure! I will let you know how the meeting goes tomorrow!
Old 11-06-2016, 08:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Kiki,

It's all about staying clean.....by any means necessary.

Imo...making new sober friends is extremely helpful.

I do believe in God, but I haven't connected yet w the my local AA groups. It is great to know they are nearby if I need them.

Go for it.

Thanks.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thx D!!!
Old 11-06-2016, 09:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah I've been to a few meetings. There are only 3 in my whole county, as opposed to literally dozens of AA meetings, so its slim pickins.

It was good. Nice people etc but I can't say I know much about the program. The only thing that was a little bit of a turn off is I mentioned that I had been to an AA meeting at the same location. The leader of the meeting decided that was his opportunity to bash AA. It wasn't a big deal but I just don't get that. And frankly, if I mention any other form of recovery to my sponsor, or in an AA meeting, I get an equally judgmental response.

Geez, whatever right? Whatever works, keeps us sober and helps us to live serene lives
Old 11-06-2016, 09:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Yeah I've been to a few meetings. There are only 3 in my whole county, as opposed to literally dozens of AA meetings, so its slim pickins.

It was good. Nice people etc but I can't say I know much about the program. The only thing that was a little bit of a turn off is I mentioned that I had been to an AA meeting at the same location. The leader of the meeting decided that was his opportunity to bash AA. It wasn't a big deal but I just don't get that. And frankly, if I mention any other form of recovery to my sponsor, or in an AA meeting, I get an equally judgmental response.

Geez, whatever right? Whatever works, keeps us sober and helps us to live serene lives
Exactly! Whatever works! It doesn't surprise me that AA would bash other programs. They've done that for years. Heck...they even had ME convinced that they were right at one point! I haven't been to
SMART yet (tomorrow) so I will see if they say anything about AA. I plan
to be honest about my AA back ground.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
I have looked into SMART a bit. No meetings in my area. Seems like a good program and online presence. Let us have your. Feedback, would you, KiKi? Thanks.
Hi, I went to one meeting and would have been to more except for work schedule. I liked it tho and would highly recommend buying the workbook!
Old 11-06-2016, 11:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Maud!
Old 11-06-2016, 11:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

KiKi0615, I attend both AA and SMART and each provides it's own, unique set of tools to me. I don't discuss my SMART attendance with those in AA nor do I talk about AA when I am in SMART meetings.

Nor do I believe that either should embark on bashing the other, especially during a meeting. I used to love a SMART meeting that I attended years ago. At the beginning of the meeting the following was said: "SMART recognizes that there are alternative programs out there and it's ok to discuss them but we will not tolerate derogatory discussion. We recognize that multiple programs may be useful in sobriety and are glad that you are choosing to use this program as one of your sober tools".

How great is that statement?! It speaks to "We support you in your efforts to be sober no matter your plan and we're happy to have you".

Each are useful in their own right. Not one person is the same and everyone has the right to build their own active recovery plan. If what you're doing keeps you sober and honestly happy about it do what is right for you.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes. I have tried different recovery programs that involve meetings (AA, SMART, Refuge Recovery) and ended up liking SMART the best. It just fits with my thinking style, how I like to investigate and handle my addiction and other challenges, and I also very much like the open-minded attitude that LadyBlue mentioned: in contract to some other programs, SMART tends not to opposite or argue with different ideas and approaches and encourages people to use it in any way they like. It aspires to empower the individual, not only in the context of addiction recovery but in a more holistic way (if someone is interested in that). In particular, I find many of the SMART tools quite helpful for relapse prevention. They are down-to-earth and practical and do not offer much of the spiritual dimensions 12-step programs do. Of course, like any meeting, the quality and satisfaction depends on the actual participants that attend the meeting and the person who leads the discussion. There are also opportunities for service work and getting involved in running meetings (it is ran by trained volunteers).

My general feeling is that SMART might be appreciated best by people who do not want a super involved program (i.e. going to meetings daily or so, working with a sponsor) and who prefer to view recovery as a process led by ourselves, in a primarily self-reliant way. I personally like mixing and matching a bit of many different approaches.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Kiki
I attend SMART meetings on Monday nights, and there is one here on Wednesday night that I attended once as well. I was the only female in the Wed meeting and was a little uncomfortable, but I liked the leader of that meeting better as he pushed a little more and asked questions, etc. I am not one to talk much in a group like that if I don't have to and I talked more at that one Wednesday meeting than I have at any of the Monday meetings. I like them because they seem less formal than AA. I have a lot of anxiety so it's hard for me to get to meetings but the Monday SMART meeting is getting easier. In the meeting I go to, they go around the room and people talk about how their week went, any successes they had or challenges coming up, etc. I will be honest, I don't really know much about the program, but I do have the workbook, I go pretty much just to be around other people similar to me and to hear about what works for them. I did mention that I had been to AA at both of my first meetings on Mon & Wed and at both meetings they weren't critical of AA and told me some of them attend both and to do whatever works for me. Good luck
Old 11-06-2016, 07:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
KiKi0615, I attend both AA and SMART and each provides it's own, unique set of tools to me. I don't discuss my SMART attendance with those in AA nor do I talk about AA when I am in SMART meetings.

Nor do I believe that either should embark on bashing the other, especially during a meeting. I used to love a SMART meeting that I attended years ago. At the beginning of the meeting the following was said: "SMART recognizes that there are alternative programs out there and it's ok to discuss them but we will not tolerate derogatory discussion. We recognize that multiple programs may be useful in sobriety and are glad that you are choosing to use this program as one of your sober tools".

How great is that statement?! It speaks to "We support you in your efforts to be sober no matter your plan and we're happy to have you".

Each are useful in their own right. Not one person is the same and everyone has the right to build their own active recovery plan. If what you're doing keeps you sober and honestly happy about it do what is right for you.
That sounds wonderful Ladyblue. I can't wait to go to my first meeting tomorrow!
Old 11-06-2016, 07:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aellyce View Post
Yes. I have tried different recovery programs that involve meetings (AA, SMART, Refuge Recovery) and ended up liking SMART the best. It just fits with my thinking style, how I like to investigate and handle my addiction and other challenges, and I also very much like the open-minded attitude that LadyBlue mentioned: in contract to some other programs, SMART tends not to opposite or argue with different ideas and approaches and encourages people to use it in any way they like. It aspires to empower the individual, not only in the context of addiction recovery but in a more holistic way (if someone is interested in that). In particular, I find many of the SMART tools quite helpful for relapse prevention. They are down-to-earth and practical and do not offer much of the spiritual dimensions 12-step programs do. Of course, like any meeting, the quality and satisfaction depends on the actual participants that attend the meeting and the person who leads the discussion. There are also opportunities for service work and getting involved in running meetings (it is ran by trained volunteers).

My general feeling is that SMART might be appreciated best by people who do not want a super involved program (i.e. going to meetings daily or so, working with a sponsor) and who prefer to view recovery as a process led by ourselves, in a primarily self-reliant way. I personally like mixing and matching a bit of many different approaches.
Based on everything that has been said so far...this sounds like it may be a perfect fit for me and exactly the thing I've been searching for. Thank you
Old 11-07-2016, 03:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Kiki,

I use SMART for my face to face meetings and have done so for the past several years. I have made good friends and connections. I am lucky to live in a metro area where there are meetings almost every day and even on Saturday. However, I usually only go to one a week since my schedule is very tight.

The moderators are all wonderful and each run the meetings a little differently depending on their preference but it usually involves just a big group share on how things are going. If there is time they discuss an exercise from the SMART handbook, but usually everyone gets to share and cross talk and support. I always get something out of it even if I don't feel like sharing that day.

Oh, there is no program bashing in any of these meetings. If you want to use both AA or NA and SMART, that is encouraged and fine. If talk veers toward people saying they don't like AA for whatever reason, usually the moderator stops the discussion and says we're not here to debate this so let's move on to another topic.

Good luck and I hope it goes well for you!
Old 11-07-2016, 07:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Juno11 View Post
Hi Kiki,

I use SMART for my face to face meetings and have done so for the past several years. I have made good friends and connections. I am lucky to live in a metro area where there are meetings almost every day and even on Saturday. However, I usually only go to one a week since my schedule is very tight.

The moderators are all wonderful and each run the meetings a little differently depending on their preference but it usually involves just a big group share on how things are going. If there is time they discuss an exercise from the SMART handbook, but usually everyone gets to share and cross talk and support. I always get something out of it even if I don't feel like sharing that day.

Oh, there is no program bashing in any of these meetings. If you want to use both AA or NA and SMART, that is encouraged and fine. If talk veers toward people saying they don't like AA for whatever reason, usually the moderator stops the discussion and says we're not here to debate this so let's move on to another topic.

Good luck and I hope it goes well for you!
Thanks Juno! I can't wait to go to the meeting tonight!
Old 11-07-2016, 07:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I wish I had SMART in my area. I go to AA, and I get a lot out of it, but I do like what I've read about SMART. I think the key is finding and using whatever works for you - everyone is different. I use what works for me in AA (a lot) and disregard what doesn't (not much). Having an open mind and willingness, no matter what meetings/methods you use, is probably the most important thing.