Notices

Food for Thought on Day 4

Old 11-05-2016, 01:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Food for Thought on Day 4

Hello all - it is Saturday night here in NZ and I am sitting home alone with a cup of tea (wine free!) listening to all the fireworks going off around me.

I took myself off for a walk earlier today and I got thinking about how much time I have wasted over the years by just sitting around drinking my wine. AND how ironic it is that I have always felt like and complained about not having enough time to do everything I need/want to do. Yet, there I was pissing away at least 3 hours a night by sitting around slurping over and over and over again until I would drag myself to bed and sleep a restless night.

The fact is: I was drinking away time I could have been using for something else; time for me to work on my business, time to finish my marking for school, time to do my washing, time to connect with some friends, time to read and to meditate and so on.

It's only been 4 days, yet I feel like I already can feel a difference in this regard. I have accomplished some small tasks: I finished some marking I had been putting off, I've read and meditated most nights before falling asleep AND I've spent an hour here and there working on my business branding. Today I finalised my mission statement. Things are shifting already!

Sometimes though, it's like I have too much time almost and I have to learn how to fill it without the wine. It's like learning how to live as an adult for the first time (I have never been a sober adult) and I guess it is also about discovering who I am without the drink. It's scary and I feel lonely - I was basically in a relationship with wine for the last however many years! - but I am hopeful. I feel committed to making radical change; I never want to go back to how I was. Long may it continue
Old 11-05-2016, 01:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Finding new and fulfilling ways to fill your free time is one of the many perks of sobriety. After a couple of months I found I needed less sleep, simply because the quality of my sleep improved. So as well as my old drinking time, I found my self with an extra hour or so each evening to do my stuff. I rediscovered an old hobby which I loved as a teenager, and found I enjoy it just as much now. The money I've saved not drinking means I can indulge myself a little too.

4 days is great.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 5upersonic View Post
The money I've saved not drinking means I can indulge myself a little too.

4 days is great.
Thanks 5upersonic! Definitely looking forward to saving some cash yep...everything about sobriety makes sense for me right now and I am glad that I open to it again.

Cheers x
Old 11-05-2016, 05:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sober style

Excellent point. Alcohol steals our lives away in so many different ways.
Old 11-05-2016, 05:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

So true ... Congrats on day 4 !
Old 11-05-2016, 08:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA Member

HAPPY 4 DAYS !!!

Old 11-05-2016, 09:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

congrats on day 4!
It's a great feeling knowing that you can now do all those things you've been putting off drinking wine. I have a list made and am looking forward to checking things off
Old 11-05-2016, 09:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Totally with you on the time aspect Kelly - I am getting out to more things, am on top of work and am not letting friends down.