the Beast, and "when to quit"

Old 11-04-2016, 11:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

the Beast, and "when to quit"

It seems a frequent question posted on SR is, "am I really an alcoholic?", "do I really have to quit?", or "I'm not that bad, really, compared to others", etc. Before I learned about AVRT, I had these thoughts a lot.

I used to think I had these thoughts because I was a "high-bottom alcoholic" -- nothing really bad had happened to me, objectively, but I just felt I was starting to drink too much. I wondered if maybe I should enjoy drinking a bit longer, and then I could quit later if I had to. I wondered if the decision to quit would be much clearer, if my drinking had progressed further.

Now I think that these thoughts are only the thoughts of the Beast, and they have nothing to do with how far addiction has actually progressed. When I read around on SR, I see the same thoughts expressed from people with varying degrees of consequences ... someone who's been hospitalized with severe withdrawals, or someone who's upset with themselves because they planned on having one drink at a party and instead had three.

I think it makes no difference how mild or severe one's addiction is, the Beast will always think that "it's too soon to quit". It bears no relation to reality -- it's always "too soon" for the Beast. Just the fact that there arose the thought "it's too soon to quit", meant I already had a Beast in my mind ... which meant it's actually time to quit. And that the most radical, life-affirming, joyous, badass move I could make is to declare, "it's time to quit forever, and I'm doing it right now!"
Old 11-04-2016, 01:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Good points, Tursiops. Ironic isn't it, that pining for drinking is itself pretty good evidence that you shouldn't be doing it.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tursiops999 View Post
It seems a frequent question posted on SR is, "am I really an alcoholic?", "do I really have to quit?", or "I'm not that bad, really, compared to others", etc. Before I learned about AVRT, I had these thoughts a lot.
AVRT is patterned after the addictive mentality itself, and is essentially a mirror image of the Addictive Voice and the Beast, matching them point for point.

The Beast has a Big Plan for its host -- "you will drink or use again" -- and the cardinal rule of addiction is necessarily "never say never to the possible future use of alcohol and other drugs".

This is Addiction:
  1. I drink/use.
  2. IF ("any thinking or feeling that supports or suggests your possible future abstinence from drinking/using")
  3. GO TO 1

This is AVRT:
  1. I never drink/use.
  2. IF ("any thinking that supports or suggests your possible future use of alcohol and other drugs")
  3. GO TO 1

The idea that only alcoholics "can't drink" is simply a holdover from the RGM, which was influenced by the failure of prohibition. In fact, anyone can drink, but some people can't drink without the likelihood of causing or incurring problems.

Whenever anyone in that group says "I can't drink", it actually means "if I could drink and get away with it, I would drink" -- it is the Addictive Voice itself. Were it otherwise, they would say "I won't drink" or "I don't drink" instead.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Love that. "I won't/don't drink," is ownership. I'm yet to find a recovery program worth a damn where personal responsibility isn't paramount. Wildly enough, nobody held a gun to my head to get me soused as a newt.