Notices

Working With Stress

Old 11-04-2016, 10:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Working With Stress

Greetings all. It's been a while since I've posted on here. I'm coming up on nine months of sobriety after my relapse last winter. As I continue working at my recovery, I am reminded each day how much more is demanded of this process than simply "not drinking." Willpower is a great thing, and an invaluable tool, but white-knuckling through my life is not how I want to spend my days. I have been doing some very serious work examining and changing how I react to stress. The decades of taking the easy "cure" of drinking and drugging to push away stress and discomfort have atrophied my normal, healthy stress responses. But, there is hope! Through hard work in therapy, my meditation practice, and direct experience in the "real world," I have been learning to lean in to my discomfort, and live the experience of not reaching for the instant gratification of chemical numbness. And through this process, I have learned two important things: Stress and discomfort are temporary feelings; and, it's ok to admit that sometimes things are more than I can handle by myself. Being uncomfortable and asking for help are not signs of failure. They are steps on the path of personal growth.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

right on!! good to hear from you and great reminders.

Sobriety and effective stress-processing go hand-in-hand. We definitely need to learn and build new ways of coping and remaining in balance when we choose sobriety and turn away from the false 'coping' mechanisms of drugs and alcohol.

Glad to hear you're doing well!

Old 11-04-2016, 04:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you've not seen this before SH there are some good ideas here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...44-stress.html
Old 11-04-2016, 04:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great post.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by SweatyHands View Post
... it's ok to admit that sometimes things are more than I can handle by myself. Being uncomfortable and asking for help are not signs of failure.....
Thank you for your post sweaty, It really speaks to some stressors I've been experiencing. And yes, all I need to do is ask. I don't need to know all the answers.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wise words indeed.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

stress is our perception of a situation
Old 11-05-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by SweatyHands View Post
through this process, I have learned two important things: Stress and discomfort are temporary feelings; and, it's ok to admit that sometimes things are more than I can handle by myself. Being uncomfortable and asking for help are not signs of failure. They are steps on the path of personal growth.
Yes! I'm so glad that you are doing well and your hard work on your recovery is definitely showing.