Notices

Hey

Old 11-04-2016, 01:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey

I'm a university student in BC Canada (on hiatus atm while I try to pick up the pieces of what my life has become lol). I'm in my late 20s. I'm on my 12th day. I'm currently looking into treatment programs and on some waiting lists and starting a day treatment program next Tuesday. I'm nervous and confused. I feel like I can relate to a lot of it but some other things, not so much. My substance use has become a big problem and in hind sight there were some pretty bad periods with abusing certain easily accessible substances but I am not and haven't reached the point of addiction my sister had (skin and bones on E. Hastings, steal from your family etc but is now 6 years sober) so I'm confused about what constitutes an addiction vs just substance abuse. I am considering a secular version of NA possibly but nervous about meetings. Anyways, I'm sure I'll learn a lot on this forum!
Old 11-04-2016, 02:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR azalea

I think no matter what you call it, if it's causing you or your loved ones problem it has to go?

D
Old 11-04-2016, 02:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Azalea, I progressed from 'misuse' to 'addiction' without even realising until I tried to stop and experienced withdrawal. I can't agree with Dee strongly enough that labels don't matter so much as how it's affecting you and your life. No matter what stage of the journey you're at, the decision to stop is always a good one
Old 11-04-2016, 03:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me, the difference between 'just substance abuse' and 'addiction' was about ten years, two DUI'S, two marriages and roughly half a million bucks.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Everyone's experiences are different so I wouldn't worry about relating to everything you read or hear. I go to AA meetings and sometimes a person shares and it's like they're in my head, other times it's the opposite! The one thing we all have in common though is that we're in recovery.

I've struggled with deciding if I'm an addict or not for years. I'm 28, stopped drugs over 6 years ago and recently stopped drinking after a relapse. The way I think of it is that I've tried to control my drinking and moderate for years and for every 1 time I've had 2 drinks and managed to stop (but of course wanted more and had to exercise insane self-restraint), there's been so many occasions on a daily basis where I've been drinking cheap crap alone, hiding bottles, not telling anyone how much I'm consuming and waking up regretting it. That says to me that there's a problem because I'm not living the life I want to live or as the person I want to be.

I'd recommend making a list of reasons you want to become sober. I keep mine on a bit of paper in my wallet and it helps me in those bad moments. Some of them are huge like "destroys relationships with my closest family members" and some seem small in relation to that, like "dry skin"! It doesn't matter, just write it down and see how you feel about it :-)
Old 11-04-2016, 04:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by azalea333 View Post

I'm confused about what constitutes an addiction vs just substance abuse.
For the user and their family and friends, seems that both of those do not work out well ?

I like these two little questions from the AA Big Book.

Is it no longer a luxury ?
And now become a necessity ?

It's nice that you see a problem at such a young age.
I saw a few of friends die at a young age from using and abusing.
And some others who had a lifetime of suffering.
Good luck,
M-Bob
Old 11-04-2016, 05:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on moving forward. Agree with the thoughts shared, when it becomes a problem, it is time to deal. Some of us take longer to recognize the "Problem" than others. You have taken the first steps toward health and are looking at ways to keep moving forward. Positive Energies your way
Old 11-04-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
totfit

I don't think it matters where the line is or wondering about whether we have crossed the line from abuse to addition. For me it is a quality of life issue. I just have one. Does my behavior make it better or worse? That is the only question I have to answer. If I rationally look at whether a substance/drink makes my life better or worse, not for a fraction of time, but overall, I can make a rational decision about what needs to change. The method I use or anyone uses to change that behavior is up to what works best for them. I have accepted also that for me, much of it is a mere chemistry issue. Alcohol affects me very differently that the majority. There is nothing I can do to change that. What I can do is change whether or not I partake. The results will always be the same. This could apply to any other substance also.