Notices

Lost

Old 11-04-2016, 12:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lost

I don't think I can go back to a time when I didn't want alcohol. Is there truly a way out of this?
Old 11-04-2016, 12:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's late (early really), so I don't imagine many are awake. I feel like someone who sat down one day and started making a trap for herself. Drink by drink the trap grew stronger, and now, I can't get out. Has anyone really , ever, made it out of this?
Old 11-04-2016, 12:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hand me a business that is beyond help -- a small company that is sinking, and I can begin to examine every aspect of it and start working toward recovery and success. But for myself, I see no way out -- no recovery.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Scientific studies show many stop drinking.

I have, and many here also.

What's stopping you?

(
Old 11-04-2016, 12:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Hamartia

good to see you again. I moved your thread cos you posted in the chat admin forum.

I used to drink all day everyday and did that for several years. If I can change you can too,

In the beginning I tried not to think too far ahead - I knew I could stay sober for one day, so I focused on that...then added another day...and another.

Posting here really helped too. Maybe you could join some of the group threads - great support there

don't worry - change really is possible D
Old 11-04-2016, 12:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Near death? Belevedere?

I don't know what is stopping me. I have no control.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I want to do this. I am so grateful to hear from someone. I may not be doing this correctly, but I need help. I am sad for Belevedere -- I am sad for all of us who struggle with this.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dee 74

Thank you. You are so far away. Thank you for caring.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Don't you see his posts below near yours?

That was the first time here I'd encountered someone overdosing !
Old 11-04-2016, 12:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

double post.

Last edited by Dee74; 11-04-2016 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Laptops are stupid.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't have control for a long time either but the support here helped me find it again.

It's worth a try, surely?

D
Old 11-04-2016, 01:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Let's stick to Hamartia, ok SB?

D
Old 11-04-2016, 01:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Have you read or know much about alcoholism and addictions?

What's your poison?

Please also ask me anything directly.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I also several weeks ago thought that there was no way out as well. I really thought I was doomed. But I eventually got a day 1 and began from there. It was so hard to do that I started calling rehabs for help but didn't follow through. It gets easier, and now I just never hope that I forget that hopelessness that I felt because it was absolute torture to go through. I empathize with your situation. This is very scary.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Hamartia, I read a book about recovery recently and the author described sobriety as 'that land beyond imagining' when she was deep in her darkest hours of addiction....but she found her way there and did recover as have many others. Look around this site and you will find many success stories which have given me hope and inspiration. You can be one of those success stories, you've found your way here and that's a step in the right direction. Best wishes to you
Old 11-04-2016, 02:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome Hamartia. I know it can seem impossible, and funnily enough I am in the company turnaround business. I found that connecting to people on SR by posting has help me a lot in becoming optimistic. This is a great community.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hamartia,
You can do it. Many people have, and you can too. I had times when I thought 30 thirty sober days was an impossible goal. I forgot what it was like to fall asleep sober. Mornings were dry heaves as I prepared for work. It was terrible, and I did not know how to get better. But there are ways, and not all involve AA. I went to a counselor (and AA) but I also just put one foot in front of the other. I joined SR. I wrote in a journal. I tried not drinking for a week. Then a month. Then 6 months. As time goes by, you will remember your sober life. You can get it back, I assure you. At times I felt like I was lost in a dark forest. Now I feel like I have walked out of it, step by step. Best wishes on your recovery.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey

Don't try and tackle a life of sobriety all at once! Start small, this hour, this minute. I was an all-day daily drinker and although when I was drinking I was often under the impression that I would "stop tomorrow" or when some other circumstance changed in my life, it never came around till I sat down, made a decision and made a plan.

Of course there have been slips and harsh learning curves, but there are so many of us on here with years of drinking and we can get into recovery :-)
Old 11-04-2016, 05:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome. I'm on Day 13 and this site is my lifeline. I've found support, great advice, and yes, a few people I don't agree with, but that is anywhere. I had to let go my arrogance and admit that my drinking was out of control. I did that after a major binge where I woke with bruises and a concussion. Likely fell down the stairs, no sure, don't remember. But it finally got my attention.
I was high functioning, drank almost every day, binged, but never missed work, no one there knew (or said they knew). I come here and vent, ask for advice, help...I journal and practice my faith. I'm also starting to remove the things that were part of my addiction. I said farewell to my corkscrew yesterday, wasn't easy.

Someone once said that nothing worth having is easy. Another saying I like to remember is about Courage. Courage isn't the absence of fear but doing the right thing in spite of the fear. I'm terrified, but this is the right thing. I'm ending an abusive relationship, with myself. It was quit or possibly not survive the next fall.

Lots of help here, just ask.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hamartia View Post
It's late (early really), so I don't imagine many are awake. I feel like someone who sat down one day and started making a trap for herself. Drink by drink the trap grew stronger, and now, I can't get out. Has anyone really , ever, made it out of this?
Yes many make it out of this. But its starts with not drinking no matter what. For me I have to follow a recovery program, not just try to accomplish this with my own thinking. You can do this if you really want to.