Notices

Can't focus or concentrate

Old 11-02-2016, 09:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can't focus or concentrate

I know I'm still relatively early in my recovery (day 14) but I really struggle with focusing on anything for longer than 5 minutes.

The past days have been relatively okay but I just focused on my recovery and I feel like now it's time to be at least a bit productive again.

Knowing that I have to do something or am expected to do it, makes me feel so pressured that I freak out and the pressure turns into a paralysing fear. I used to drink to handle that fear. Over the past year my brain learned that it can only function and be calm and focused when I drink.

I always drank less when I felt no pressure like on the weekends or during holidays. But when I have to be productive I still feel like I really need to drink, I don't know how to get anything done without it. It's so frustrating. I know it's totally paradox but it feel like I can't think clear without the booze. My brain behaves like a child with ADHD.

Editing cause I forgot to add this:
Any advise on how to concentrate and get your brain together? Or is it still to early and waiting does the trick?
Old 11-02-2016, 09:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I went through this, too. deep breaths and little increments get me through. good luck!
Old 11-02-2016, 09:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I found over time focus and concentration evolve. At first, I could not remember a 4 digit security code.

My mind is prone to racing, like wack a mole arcade game. Hit that, no that - no over here.

I reduced caffeine and sugar, eliminated nicotine and discovered much about rebuilding cell structure with proper diet. Alcoholics are prone to thiamine deficiency. A multi vitamin with B1 helped clear the fog for me - but it took a few months.

Great job on your sober time - some keep a journal to mark progress as positive reinforcement as at times it's hard to recall where we were just a week or two back.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I sometimes felt like I had to drink to be productive or to get anything done. I also felt flustered and pressured when anything big came along that I had to tackle. I still sometimes feel that way. What helps me is realizing that the task will exist whether I drink or don't drink. Drinking will usually make the task more difficult. I sit quietly and write down the steps needed to complete the task and then start working those items on the list.

The sooner I take care of what I need to do, the quicker it will be behind me. I struggle with focus still. I do have a child with ADHD. It can be very frustrating. Having a routine helps. Stick to the routine. "At 10 a.m. I will answer my emails. At 10:30 a.m. I will review the files for tomorrow." That kind of stuff.

You are still in early days and it takes practice. Find a strong routine that works for you and follow it diligently. If the scattered thoughts continue, you may wish to talk to your doctor about adult ADHD.

Congratulations on 14 days.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Some of that 'scatter brained-ness' may be because your body is still adjusting. Still dealing with anxiety due to the cessation of booze.

Do you exercise? That calms me tremendously.

Make a list. If you have stuff that must get done, like bills, start there. If not, start with the most physical stuff (housework, laundry etc) as it doesn't require a lot of focus. Then start ticking things off the list. Just doing one thing will move you forward and help you to feel better.

Progress, not perfection. Just do your best. But do something, then something will happen! Nothing to be afraid of
Old 11-02-2016, 11:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Physical activity and household related tasks like cleaning, cooking, laundry is okay again. I can do some crafting and other stuff too.

But I'm a student at university and really hoped I could write an exam this months but I just can't study. Nothing sticks to my brain, I have to read everything 10 times and I feel awful about it. Same goes for writing important letters or emails and do paperwork. As soon as it requires a bit higher level of concentration my brain seems not able to do it.

I never had problems with that before. I am seriously worried about my cognitive functions. I had two general anaesthesias in August and the second time I stopped breathing again and again after waking up so the alarm went off a couple of times cause my brain didn't get enough oxygen. Now with that and what I read about how withdrawal affects the brain, I'm just worried.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm just the same at the minute (day 3 for me)..... I work as an accountant and could barely think straight......head is so fuzzy and I was convicted I was heading for a stroke earlier (yes panic and anxiety too)......just have to believe that time will heal........best wishes to you xx
Old 11-02-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yoga, meditation, exercise, all help.

Be easy on yourself. Write a list. Put even the stupidest smallest things on it. Put a checkbox next to each thing. When you finish the list don't add to it. Complete the checked boxes, then add the stuff you forgot, rinse, repeat. Do this every day.

I'm almost at 90 days and I still do this.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Gah. Yes. Washing machine head. It did pass, but it was horrible while it lasted. And as that went my anxiety started and I kept getting odd panic attacks that felt like I was forgetting to breathe or something, and would feel kind of 'not there '. Only for a matter of seconds most probably but they worried me as well.

The good news is that they will pass. Just keep on top of the HALT triggers, and help hydrated as well. Talking about what you're experiencing helps as well. I thought there was something seriously wrong for a while, then I went to AA and everyone seemed to remember similar experiences so I relaxed a bit, which seemed to help a bit.