Notices

Posting While Having Cravings: What Will Happen?

Old 11-01-2016, 01:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Posting While Having Cravings: What Will Happen?

Hi SR. I have fought some bad cravings in the past few days, and when I have thought about (and posted) my plan, it always included "when I have cravings I will post about it", but I never do. When I have cravings and think about posting, I think "OK, I'll say I REALLY feel like drinking, then hit "post", and....then what, sit back and look at the screen and wait for replies? What if nobody replies? And what are they going to say, "Don't drink? You can do this?"

Yes. And maybe this will help. I hope it does. I don't have cravings now, and I (unrealistically) hope I don't get them again. But maybe this will help when I do. Writing this post has helped, maybe writing the call for help will to, as will the caring and ESH of SR. One Day at a Time
Old 11-01-2016, 01:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Fortress

It would be very very rare for you to post asking for help and get no replies, but I guess it can depend on the time of day

I think you can maximise your chances of getting a reply by joining a few threads - you can join the monthly thread of the month you last drank, or you could join the new November group and get in on the ground floor.

You could join the Under One Year thread or the 24 Hour Recovery Connection threads in the Daily Support Forum.

You can also post in the Weekender thread in this forum that runs through the week.

As for what we might say - sure you'll get support like 'you can do this'.

Don't underestimate that.

You're also likely to get some advice borne of experience. If you haven't read this thread, you need to:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

I'm pretty sure you've had the recovery plan link before but I recommend a re-read if you're unsure about what to do in the face of a craving. You might just get some solid gold ideas:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

Finally - this is a great list for sparking up the old grey matter:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html

Cravings happen to most, if not all of us in the early days.

They don't have to 'win' - we can beat them.

The more prepared you are, the better your chances.

I hope somewhere in all those suggestions you find some helpful stuff that will settle your anxiety a little

D
Old 11-01-2016, 02:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dee, thank you so much. I have been in the Oct/2016 group for weeks (you "thank" me every day for my post!). I have read multiple times your links, both when you and others have sent them to me as well as to other newcomers. As with AA, I need to "keep on coming". If I keep coming, I will (and have already gotten) get more comfortable about posting, so when the BAD cravings come, I will be able to post DURING them, and receive all that SR has to offer by way of help. Thanks again.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have been in the Oct/2016 group for weeks (you "thank" me every day for my post!).
sorry about that - tbh I wasn't sure where I'd seen your posts - I read a lot of threads daily and by the end of the day I run at about 80-90% memory at best Fortress

As for the other links I figured if its not useful or new info to you, it may be to someone else

D
Old 11-01-2016, 03:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Posting "help! I am having a wild craving! Talk me off the ledge!" has been part of my plan - a big part.
It helps me in a couple of ways.

1. I admit I am craving to all of you, and work through what is behind the impulse by posting. (Am I lonely? Tired? etc)

2. People respond! Not only do they respond, but they offer really good insight.

Maybe it sounds overly simplistic, but it has helped me stay sober since March 15 of this year.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I forgot to add how great I feel when I post here during the craving, resist, then usually sleep (fatigue appears to be a huge trigger for me) - then the next day when I feel like me again, coming back to report victory - well, it feels awesome!!
Old 11-01-2016, 04:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For me, I post because just putting it out there seems to help me keep saying no. It helps to have someone acknowledge it and say "I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL!" without judgement or gossip or any of the other things that I would get if I told anyone in my town.

I think having this support or just a place to say "I am an alcoholic" is a part a lot of people are missing in their recovery.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Fortress

Cravings do pass. If you find you're 'white knuckling' all the time I would consider a F2F support group.

So did the posting help?
Old 11-01-2016, 05:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Speaking out loud, whether here or with my real time support peoples, takes the power out of the craving. If I leave it in my brain too long, what started as a little thought of using, becomes a well thought out plan of action!
Once it gets to that point, my chances of derailing the process is almost impossible.
My little chirping alcoholic thinking voice is ruthless and sneaky. It hates when I tell on it because it doesnt get its way, which is to ultimately ruin my life and kill me. If Im keeping any secrets, I know I am allowing the av to be in control and have its way. Cant have that! Nope, not today!
Old 11-01-2016, 08:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm only 1month in, but what works for me for now is gum. The sugary kind. Lots of it. Chew away and blow big bubbles! And brush your teeth after.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

And of course, keep posting here.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
sober style

Originally Posted by Oct2016 View Post
I'm only 1month in, but what works for me for now is gum. The sugary kind. Lots of it. Chew away and blow big bubbles! And brush your teeth after.
Now that's something to chew on!
Old 11-01-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

When I would get strong cravings to drink, I believed that I had no control and I allowed the logical part of my mind to step back. I think if you pause during a craving and come here, the act itself will have an effect, an interruption on the craving.