Notices

Tired of being tired.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tired of being tired.

I have been, for the most part, always tired since I was in high school. It doesn't matter how much I change my eating and/or sleeping happens. It doesn't matter if I exercise or start taking vitamins. I can get the best sleep in the world, but I am still always exhausted. I've been like this before I started drinking.

It's really starting to irritate me. Yea, it's nice to wake up and not be hungover...but on work days, I am still sleeping in as late as possible just so I can get that extra sleep. So I basically get out of bed, get ready, and go straight to work. On weekends, I don't get out of bed till later in the afternoon. And when I do run errands on weekends, I still don't get everything crossed off my list because I get exhausted in the middle of it. It's not even a ton of stuff that I'm trying to do either.

I figured I'd be able to be a lot more productive when I became sober, but for the most part I'm still the same when it comes to that.
This of course makes me question why I ever stopped drinking in the first place. I daydream of being able to get out of bed in the morning, have coffee, read, do yoga, maybe go for a hike... but I can't because I'm exhausted.
This is beginning to greatly wear on me and anger me. Makes me want to just forget about sobriety.

Also please don't suggest the doctor. I've already been to multiple doctors and have had multiple tests done, and everything always comes back normal.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow, tonight I slept only three hours. This week the longest I got was 5. I never even go that long without waking up. I'm also exhausted. I've tried it all too. I have nothing to do but offer my true sympathy.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you've been dealing with this for a long time CJ.

I didn't have any other suggestions other than seeing a(nother) doctor but I wish you the best in finding a solution
Old 10-29-2016, 05:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by CajunPrincess View Post
This of course makes me question why I ever stopped drinking in the first place.
You weren't too tired to drink, were you? So you aren't too tired to be sober.

Please carry on with your recovery.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have been, for the most part, always tired since I was in high school. It doesn't matter how much I change my eating and/or sleeping happens. It doesn't matter if I exercise or start taking vitamins. I can get the best sleep in the world, but I am still always exhausted. I've been like this before I started drinking.

It's really starting to irritate me. Yea, it's nice to wake up and not be hungover...but on work days, I am still sleeping in as late as possible just so I can get that extra sleep. So I basically get out of bed, get ready, and go straight to work. On weekends, I don't get out of bed till later in the afternoon. And when I do run errands on weekends, I still don't get everything crossed off my list because I get exhausted in the middle of it. It's not even a ton of stuff that I'm trying to do either.

I figured I'd be able to be a lot more productive when I became sober, but for the most part I'm still the same when it comes to that.
This of course makes me question why I ever stopped drinking in the first place. I daydream of being able to get out of bed in the morning, have coffee, read, do yoga, maybe go for a hike... but I can't because I'm exhausted.
This is beginning to greatly wear on me and anger me. Makes me want to just forget about sobriety.

Also please don't suggest the doctor. I've already been to multiple doctors and have had multiple tests done, and everything always comes back normal.
Trlating from my own experience let me start with a question first: The doctors that you went to where GPs (i.e. checking blood, heart, sleep apnea) or did they include psychologists/therapists?

I am finding that my drinking has masked many things that make me feel tired including sleep apnea, depression and amazingly lack of spirituality. The last one was basically "What is there to live for? Why bother?" (I don't mean suicide, just what is the point of life).

I found that building my energy back up was like building physical stamina, it needed lots of work over a long time and I had to hit it from different angles: depression meds, therapy (ala CBT), mindfulness, discovering my values, learning to find joy, exercise (for me it took me years to realise cardio didn't do much for me but lifting heavy did).

I hope my responses helps in some small way.

Good luck,

KP
Old 10-29-2016, 05:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I hear you! I am almost always exhausted - have been like this since I was a teenager and I am almost 50.

Just a thought - this is also a symptom of a low level depression. I agree with keeppushing that you might want to talk to a therapist/psychologist about it.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for all of your responses.

I actually take antidepressants and have done so for years now. I've also switched to different types, gone completely off them, etc to no avail.

I've thought about getting a sleep test done. I've considered the fact that maybe I have sleep apnea. I've also read a lot about chronic fatigue syndrome... and I know that can pop up later in life if you've had something like mono, etc. And I had a bad case of mono when I was a little girl and had to be hospitalized.

At this point I just want an answer.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Don't antidepressants make you sleepy?
Old 10-29-2016, 01:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IWalkTheLine View Post
Don't antidepressants make you sleepy?
I've heard that can be one of the side affects, but this occurred even when I wasn't taking them.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear you are going through this CajunP.

Do you drink quite a bit of clean filtered water? Seriously... water, approx. 1 cup per hour gives me energy.

As for doctors, I had to go to 7 physiatrists to get the right one and the right medication. It wasn't easy, but I didn't give up.

Wishing you the very best.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
2/2016

Have you had a sleep study? Perhaps you have apnea
Old 10-29-2016, 02:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your struggle CajunPrincess. I hope you don't give up. You mentioned Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and I would wonder about that too.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Morning CP!

I too have suffered from alot of fatigue and tiredness. I had a complete female exam and physical including lab work since I had not taken good care of myself and my medical/physical self was being neglected like so many other areas of my life when I was drinking. Doctor recommended a good multi vitamin with other supplements ( B 12, Iron, Vitamin C, Calcium) and that seems to be helping with my energy level. I just know I have been abusing my body for several years and its going to take some time to repair ya know?

Maybe have complete lab work and ask doctor about nutritional supplements that may help?

Best wishes to you. I understand how frustrating it is to have low energy and feel tired all the time!
Old 10-30-2016, 06:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hang in there, I know about exhaustion. I have Fibromyalgia. It took a lot of Doctors before I found one who understood that it is a diagnosis of exclusion. The light at the end of the tunnel isn't always a train. Hang in there!!!
Old 10-30-2016, 08:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Heya CP.

Sorry to hear you are tired all the time.

I was thinking about that yesterday, for myself, sort of.

Well, I figured I would have lost a lot of weight, and jump out of bed a spry, energetic, happy version of myself. Eighty days in, I'm marginally different than I was.

I spent the better part of at least fifteen years drinking as much alcohol as I could invest before passing out, every day, and ate like crap. And spiritually I dug myself into a hole for so long I didn't know I was in there. Now I have to undo fifteen years of hard daily drinking.

I don't think I can undo that time. I can undo parts of it but the entirety pretty much adds up to my entire thirties and the second half of my twenties. I drank, every night. Now I'm on the cusp of forty and I'm stuck with that baggage. It takes time, I think.

My sister has CFS. It is hard but you can live with it and drinking definitely won't help. I do hope you find a good doc. Maybe try to find one who is more holistic (but licensed).

Also I saw in the August thread that your relationship ended and I'm just wanting to say, be nice to yourself right now. You have suffered two losses in about as many months: booze (it's a loss) and your BF. Just let yourself be right now and don't pick up. Take things slowly. You can PM me anytime btw.

xoxo

B
Old 10-30-2016, 08:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I daydream of being able to get out of bed in the morning, have coffee, read, do yoga, maybe go for a hike...
For me in the beginning of sobriety it all came very slowly.
When we take (baby steps) in time we will see some light.
I hike occasionally now but, still must at times -- push myself.
But afterwards -- it makes me feel so good.
Start very slow -- but -- start.
Good luck,
M-Bob
Old 10-30-2016, 08:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Lots of good advice above. I was dealing with health issues last year and I was told by several doctors it was stress, possible early menopause. I kept pushing and it turned out to be that my heart was beating way too fast throughout much of the day, which caused exhaustion, and many other symptoms. This was diagnosed after me being pushy, and finally getting the right cardiologist. They were able to do a heart procedure to address the issues.

It took me a while to get the correct diagnosis, might be worth exploring different doctors to get another opinion.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for all of your responses.

I actually take antidepressants and have done so for years now. I've also switched to different types, gone completely off them, etc to no avail.

I've thought about getting a sleep test done. I've considered the fact that maybe I have sleep apnea.
Hi Cajun. If you haven't had a sleep study done then do it. I take anti depressants and have sleep apnoea.

I was absolutely stuffed nearly all the time. I had a sleep study and was diagnosed with sleep apnoea. Took several years to actually get a CPAP machine because I was just spending money on alcohol.

Once I got the CPAP machine, the difference was amazing. I actually felt refreshed after sleeping.

People with sleep apnoea do not get REM sleep. My heart rate was measured at 195bpm while "asleep". Like running a race when you're meant to be sleeping. No wonder people with this are tired all the time.

Anyway - I won't tell you to see a doctor. You seem to already know what you need to do. You just need to actually do it.