Notices

I saw a forest and a marsh demolished today *violence*

Old 10-28-2016, 08:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy I saw a forest and a marsh demolished today *violence*

My neighbor bought the property next door, and he cut down all the trees. I hate the suburbs so much. As a biology student, it was heart-breaking.

I seriously hate this guy. I was considering actually cutting him down with an axe and I probably would if I was drunk because I used to do violent crap like that on a whim.

I'm never going to get over seeing this place destroyed because I used to cry over seeing this stuff as a kid and I would vandalize work equipment as best I could at night, but they just sent more equipment. I ******* hate humanity. That place was beautiful, I liked hearing the wind rustling the tree leaves, the frogs in the spring, and all the birds. Now it's silent.

I've been crying since about 8AM. That was really traumatic hearing the chain saws all day.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I understand a little of your pain and anger. I had a nice little wooded area in the last place I lived and the owners ripped it out without so much as an excuse me.

Ultimately if they own the land, they own the land, I guess.

D
Old 10-28-2016, 08:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am really sorry, Vulturine. I can't stand to see trees and land being destroyed like that either. It is hard to understand sometimes. My dream is to live on a few acres of wooded land, so it's really hard to watch people cut down trees like that. Very sad.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hate living in this supermansion, astroturf hellhole. I don't even leave the house anymore, because..why? Look at some fancy cars?

I dunno, I grew up in a rural area, so I formed an appreciation for nature and solitude.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm sorry, Vulturine. That has to have been hard. Nature is resilient, though. However your neighbor landscapes, birds will find the scape useful. Any possibility of making where you live hospitable to living things? Insect-friendly plants? Feeders? I lived in some serious suburbs for many years. Was always surprised and delighted how many species passed through and stayed. Peace.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Part of my misery is that I can't drive anymore, so I can't even get to outside the city and be away from people. My mom left me here today instead of taking me to the farm house because I was crying in bed all day. I'm never going to stop being asocial, that's just how I am. : (
Old 10-28-2016, 10:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I now realize I should have moved from dense populations long ago.

Nearer to unspoiled nature, like in South America, or the oceans islands, and many more lands.

While trying to control and stop developers is very disheartening.

Thankfully more people are better integrating development with nature.

Aren't exponentially increasing populations the worst problem? Especially amongst people that would value birth control, with education and access.

I'd like to see that become a global priority soon.

Time for some long hikes. . .

Old 10-28-2016, 10:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi vulturine, I am sorry you are going through this. Last year they were doing some street work and one morning on my way to work, a lot of the trees lining the street had been cut down and were just laying there. I cried all the way on my way to work. And I still try not to think about it. I am really sorry you are going through this, sending many hugs
Old 10-29-2016, 12:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm sorry too, Vulturine.

I once lived in a beautiful old house that had been converted into apartments. My flat was at the back of the house. It was only a little flat but it was a loft with massive high ceilings and cathedral style windows with no curtains, and those august looking windows faced onto a garden and a stately old tree.

I was freelancing from home at the time. I was lonely because I had no office to go to and was living in another country far from my family. And I was drinking too much.

The summers were glorious but the winters were long, cold and dark. Through the three years I lived there, that tree was my friend. When I woke up in the morning, that tree was the first thing I saw. At night sometimes I would dream I was floating up from my bed through the window and communing with it.

One day the council sent a man with a chainsaw and he stood in the tree right outside my window and started lopping off the branches and cutting it down to a fraction of its size. He said it was a danger to the house. But we were the danger to it!

We really hurt that tree.

Even the gloomy humourless hedge fund manager who lived downstairs got all upset about it when he came back from his overseas trip.

I moved out about 2 months later and left the country. I never forgot that tree. I'm sorry you stayed at home and cried and I understand exactly why you did.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's a shame.. I truly feel for you. What a loss. I love nature, and trees and it always hurts to see the bulldozers or hear chainsaws. The problem is overpopulation, and constant growth, leading to a need for more housing. I'm surprised you didn't get some notice from the planning commission. I have also personally developed a 2 acre wooded lot in an urban area and did it primarily to protect it from McMansions, because it was where I grew up. It was a five year project and successful in that only one home was built that blended into the landscape, and it even won green home of the year.. but still a few smaller oaks had to be taken out and it hurt.

That said, many places now try to limit development. My more recent home city of Portland has an urban growth boundary that discourages development outside the urban area and even in my suburb you can't cut down a single tree without a permit and approval from the town arborist and neighbors are allowed to have a say. It's almost overkill, but that's how these things go. It's really like living in a forest, and most homes are built in a way as to cut as few trees as possible.

I hope you can find a quiet and peaceful place near nature again.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)