Notices

Going out tonight want to drink

Old 10-28-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going out tonight want to drink

Going out to zombie apocalypse tonight. I want to drink but I WILL NOT! I've reclaimed 26 days today. I love Halloween festivities but I'll hang with the non drinkers. Just played tape forward. Talk about zombie apocalypse!
Old 10-28-2016, 04:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done Sunshine ☉☉☉ x
Old 10-28-2016, 04:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We don't need to drink to have fun, and hangover free mornings are something to look forward to!!

Hang in there Sunshine!!
Old 10-28-2016, 05:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you considered not going out Sunshine - or going out somewhere where you won't be tempted to drink?

D
Old 10-28-2016, 05:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Have you considered not going out Sunshine - or going out somewhere where you won't be tempted to drink?

D
I'll be more upset if I don't go and resent not drinking. I want to drink but I can't. I will not.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Be strong sunshine.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I couldn't live my old life tho, cos that was all about drinking - just saying.

I understand other people see things differently.

If keeping your old life is that important to you then I think you need a really strong plan to deal with the temptations and the endless opportunities to drink you'll be faced with?

whats the plan for tonight?

D
Old 10-29-2016, 02:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

D
I agree with this. Once I was serious about my sobriety I tried to avoid temptations for awhile. It's just easier that way.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hope you stay strong. I had a 40th to attend tonight and fully planned to go and simply not drink. After being completely honest with myself today, I realised that the temptation to drink was going to be difficult to resist, particularly as the people I'd have been joining are generous and there would have been 'free' drinks. Going just wasn't worth the risk.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think for me, I have to live the life I want to live. That means saying no to some things, but also saying yes to things that are important to me, and therefore making sure I have a plan/get-out if I need it.
I'm not complete on my plans once October is over, but am getting close.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Didn't drink

We went and it was very mellow. It's nice to have friends that don't drink. They are not alcoholics they just don't drink. And they are just as fun as people that are drinking. In fact they are more fun. We laughed so much my cheeks hurt. There was a highly intoxicated young lady that came up to us and started talking to us. She was so hammered. I really felt sorry for her and I was so thankful that that wasn't me. I'm glad that we went and I wish I could post pictures here. We were going to a Halloween costume masquerade ball tonight at a big hotel that's put on by a radio station. But I've decided that that's definitely too risky and gave my tickets away. I'm proud of me. And guess what I'm not hungover. I must say that going to the smart meetings really helped me to not drink. Because I would be more upset about drinking and letting down my progress and the people in my smart meetings then the temporary buzz and horrible hangover today. I'm so thankful that I have this forum also and you all really helped me with support. Thank you! 1 more day AF
Old 10-29-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm glad you made it without drinking.

I didn't stop going out altogether, but I did make big changes in my social habits and minimized going places and doing things that were organized primarily around drinking.

I never went out around booze when I already felt like drinking....

Sounds like you were triumphant and those 'wins' can really be a boost.

Take heed, however. Those wins can have a darker side. We can begin seeing them as 'evidence' that we really don't have 'a problem'. More than once in life, I allowed myself to believe that I'd only needed to 'cut down' or 'be careful about why I was drinking'. Going out and hanging with the booze-crews directly influenced that thinking for me, and over time led me back on several occasions to deeper and heavier boozing.

Congratulations on your sober night out.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Glad you made it!

I know exactly what FreeOwl is saying - I have kept saying "I can control this" and I can't.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Old 10-29-2016, 10:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

stay strong tonight! It'll probably be crazy out
Old 10-29-2016, 01:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Awesome... wonderful job! And the picture is adorable. Love it.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
Take heed, however. Those wins can have a darker side. We can begin seeing them as 'evidence' that we really don't have 'a problem'. More than once in life, I allowed myself to believe that I'd only needed to 'cut down' or 'be careful about why I was drinking'. Going out and hanging with the booze-crews directly influenced that thinking for me, and over time led me back on several occasions to deeper and heavier boozing.

Congratulations on your sober night out.

Nice work, sunshine!

I think FreeOwl's warning is an important one. Complacency is one of the pitfalls to watch out for in sobriety. Tonight should be evidence that you can have fun without drinking - when I found I could do that, it was a massive relief. It's not evidence that you don't have a problem. Use the experience for good, not evil, in other words. And have a happy Halloween.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go Sunshine

D