Notices

wheres the wagon

Old 10-26-2016, 11:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

wheres the wagon

I can't even put into words how f'ing over this ground hogs day I am. Get a couple of days weaning down, not feeling the urge to drink, then fall off the routine one day and right back to 10-12 beers a night. My liver(i think) aches, anxiety and hangover all day at work. Im done trying to cut back and wean off. Going cold turkey tonight and just gonna white knuckle it. Send good vibes my way. Until tomorrow!
Old 10-26-2016, 11:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You don't ever have to feel this way again.

Stick with us.

What was happening that led up to that first drink? Figure that out and change things up.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! Lots of information to read here on what to expect. There will be people here, I would expect, that will want to hear updates on how you're doing. Take care!
Old 10-26-2016, 11:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, the drinking has to stop. You're killing yourself. You can do it!
Old 10-26-2016, 11:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
You don't ever have to feel this way again.

Stick with us.

What was happening that led up to that first drink? Figure that out and change things up.
I start feeling like **** at 5:00 just a bit off and anxiety. 4 beers later, good as new. Ive quit before, no shakes or DTs, just anxiety out of the Ahole for three days and slowly start coming back to myself. Time to be the man i see in my heart
Old 10-26-2016, 11:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

What are you doing, recovery wise, to support your decision to quit drinking?
Old 10-26-2016, 11:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
quat

Sending out a boat load of good vibes! You can do it, rootin for ya!
AVRT really helped me, there are great threads on it in Secular Connections here on SR , google some and look for the Free Crash Course
and come back often , post, ask , wish you well and hope to see you around
Old 10-26-2016, 11:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
What are you doing, recovery wise, to support your decision to quit drinking?
Been to AA before, not really my gig but might swing by tonight. Other than that,laying low, staying close to two sober friends, not going out, not golfing, not doing anything that always results in me drinking. Making goals of where i wanna be in life. If i can't pull this off this week. I am gonna go in a program. Been the same story since i was 21 and now 30. I want my two sons to have a good role model.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cobber3 View Post
I start feeling like **** at 5:00 just a bit off and anxiety. 4 beers later, good as new. Ive quit before, no shakes or DTs, just anxiety out of the Ahole for three days and slowly start coming back to myself. Time to be the man i see in my heart
I hear you.

The first couple weeks are pretty uncomfortable, there's no way around that. Make it past that and you will begin to see a light at the end of the tunnel. It does get better - but it is going to take time for full healing to occur. I had a lot of anxiety in early days, but I stayed connected to this site and read everything I could find about ways to keep staying sober, ways to deal with anxiety (in general) and ways to eat well, get a little exercise and to just appreciate how lucky I am.

A gratitude list goes a long way too. I found three things every day for which I was grateful, and I wrote them down.

Go to bed sober tonight. It's a great thing.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Cobber!!
Old 10-26-2016, 12:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I feel your pain man. Trying over and over to get sober, only to fail within a few days...it's a crushing feeling.

I'm only a 4 days in this time around (the longest I've been sober in months). The first couple days suck. What's helped me this time is having a clear goal/reason why I won't drink today. And having some projects or activities to do during my normal trigger time. A little exercise, eating well, and drinking a lot of water seems to have helped too. Oddly enough, I also really tried to embrace the withdrawals this time. I looked at them as a challenge I had to overcome...like running a marathon. And little by little it's been getting better.

Good luck man.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum

You can do this, you have to find a way to draw the line in the sand and throw yourself wholeheartedly into sobriety and recovery.
Once I made the decision, I had to put as much effort into my recovery as I had into my addiction.
It takes a lot of us a few tries for things to click in our heads. Keep reading around SR, there are tons of great stickies and lots of support. You can do this. We're here to help.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Other than that,laying low, staying close to two sober friends, not going out, not golfing, not doing anything that always results in me drinking.
There are definitely a lot of "Nots" in early sobriety. Such as not hanging out in bars, not going to parties, or concerts. But I discovered that not doing stuff to not drink was too much like hanging on for dear life. I didn't want to just hang on. I succeeded when I became an active participant in my recovery. Doing things to stay sober as opposed to not doing things to not drink.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome!

On my first day sober I wrote ( typed ) out a list of all of the negative things about drinking, examples of every single bad thing that I could remember that had happened as a result of me poisoning myself with alcohol. Not just recent stuff but even dating back to my college days, before I became an alcoholic.
I started reading anything I could get my hands on about recovery too.
Sort of put it in my head about how self destructive the alcohol is for me and then gave me equal amounts of hope that I could overcome this.

Stick close to us here too! Let us help you through the early days. Ive been here for a little while and notice a direct correlation between the amount people post here and the level of success they have. Like anything else, the more you put in, the more you get out of it!
Old 10-26-2016, 01:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Making goals of where i wanna be in life. If i can't pull this off this week. I am gonna go in a program. Been the same story since i was 21 and now 30. I want my two sons to have a good role model.
This is such a good idea, Cobber. You sound like you are ready to do this and to make the changes in your life that you need to make in order to be the person you want to be. You can always find support here, and don't hesitate to contact your dr if you have problems with detoxing.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the comments and thoughts. Gonna kick this monkey on my back TODAY! No excuses. I am sure I will be on here at 5:00 on the dot. Bring it on!!
Old 10-26-2016, 01:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Cobber