Notices

Yard work

Old 10-25-2016, 07:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Yard work

I used to have the best lawn in the neighborhood . I worked on it all the time. Me and my cold beer working away. Perfectly acceptable to drink beer and work on the yard. The neighbors saw nothing unusual about that.
Finding lots of things I thought I liked but we're simply activities that allowed me to drink.
Now I find yard work incredibly boring. My yard isn't so great anymore but that's just fine with me🤗
Old 10-25-2016, 08:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My yard looks worse now in sobriety than it ever did while I was drinking but that's because of the cumulative effect of slow neglect and I'm far busier now. I have more to do in sobriety than I ever did drunk. I can stray further from home, now that I'm not tethered to a six pack.

Good for you! A cold iced tea is a better reward than a beer
Old 10-25-2016, 08:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AA Member

glad youre sober

i find sober yard work relaxing

now that my sponsor and i have finished the new roof on my house ...

i will be trimming some trees tomorrow

only in sobriety

Old 10-25-2016, 09:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I did the same drink a lot while doing yard work now I don't care for yard work much at all my yard looked pretty darn good back then and it looks pretty darn bad right now I've accepted that.

Mountainman
Old 10-26-2016, 04:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Doing work around the house was an excellent excuse to have a beer, or two or more. I remember my wife commenting once during a bathroom renovation (many years ago) that the beer should be for after the work is done, not before. I found over the last few years that I get less and less done around the house. To the point now where nothing has been done in over a year. Just no motivation after that first drink. Heck, I would have to have few in me just to take the dog for a walk.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Same with me. Mowing the lawn was an excuse for beer. Before, during and after. When I was done, I had a good looking lawn and probably 5 beers in me. It took some time to get used to mowing without beer. I would have to urge surf when mowing, because the connection was so strong. I guess it is just another thing to change, another way of doing things. But then, I connected a lot of things with beer. And I made some real home repair mistakes when drinking too.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Matt, it is interesting you bring that up. I was a heavy reward drinker, and now there is no reward, so thing slide a little bit. I am still adjusting to that, I do not know what the answer is, but I need to figure it out. I hope we are able to derive motivation from different places to be high achievers once again. Thanks for the post.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was never into yard work until I stopped drinking. I planted a whole lot and designed two front yard flower beds. Got a bit carried away.

Now I have lots and lots of plants to water in the heat of the summer. A few of them didn't make it through.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

love my yard and garden.. drinking or not... drinking I laid in the yard more.. and watched the sky more.. even slept in the yard more.. now its dig into the dirt feel the rich earth and plant .. get something to eat and a good tea and sit in a chair on the porch and look to see if it is still growing... mmmmm
Old 10-26-2016, 07:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mattq2 View Post
I used to have the best lawn in the neighborhood . I worked on it all the time. Me and my cold beer working away. Perfectly acceptable to drink beer and work on the yard. The neighbors saw nothing unusual about that.
Finding lots of things I thought I liked but we're simply activities that allowed me to drink.
Now I find yard work incredibly boring. My yard isn't so great anymore but that's just fine with me🤗
I suppose the person in your neighborhood with the second best yard is probably ecstatic now. I think drinking makes a lot of boring things interesting. I used to play some of my video games for hours while drunk. Now, I can't make myself sit and do it at all.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Hi Matt, it is interesting you bring that up. I was a heavy reward drinker, and now there is no reward, so thing slide a little bit. I am still adjusting to that, I do not know what the answer is, but I need to figure it out. I hope we are able to derive motivation from different places to be high achievers once again. Thanks for the post.
Yeah Thomas that's what I love about being sober. Some things just are not that important anymore. I love discovering the "new" me and the new things I find intresting.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Upstairs View Post
I suppose the person in your neighborhood with the second best yard is probably ecstatic now. I think drinking makes a lot of boring things interesting. I used to play some of my video games for hours while drunk. Now, I can't make myself sit and do it at all.
I hate to say this upstairs but I think the guy who has the best yard now has a drinking problem😢