Notices

Question

Old 10-23-2016, 07:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question

I have been on and off this site for the past 2 to 3 years. I keep reading and trying to understand what/how so many of you sober people keep posting on how to beat this. <sigh>

I just don't get the 1 or 2 hour craving for alcohol. My AV lasts all of my waking hours. It is all I think about.

I feel like I have exhausted all of my "plans", etc. And how I wish I could turn the TV on and not watch a show with people drinking alcohol. Childish but true.

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2016, 07:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

What have you tried in the past shellshocked?

D
Old 10-23-2016, 07:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Exercise. Food. Movies. Driving in my sports car (never under the influence). I have also tried books but I can never focus. You are the "king" of this site Dee, and I sincerely appreciate your reply.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Shellshocked, have you talked with your doctor about medication to help with the craving? I've never used any, but I'm aware they're available. It might be worth your while to discuss this option with your doctor to help you get over the hump.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dee, call me Shell. :-)
Old 10-23-2016, 07:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have Dee. But I am on so many meds he didn't want to put me on any more. Even for this.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

How about rehab?
Old 10-23-2016, 07:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What kind of recovery programs have you tried?
Old 10-23-2016, 07:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I often wonder if a craving could be something else. Like a way to escape my past. I know that you are not a doctor.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Shell,

How long have you made it sober?

Imo...it takes a few months for the anxiety to fade and the sober muscles to strengthen.

Eating when I craved...every 30 minutes or so in the beginning got me through.

Sugary stuff. Quality protien. Sweet drinks and yogurt.

That quelled the crave.

Just like a protien bar keeps me from Taco Bell. It is science.

But, I do pray for strength all the time.

Thanks.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have tried AA... sorry. Hated it. Not me. Not spiritual, not religious. Don't believe in a thing.

Shell
Old 10-23-2016, 07:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

D122y... thank you. I want to keep shoving food into my face.

I like Taco Bell. ;-)

Shell
Old 10-23-2016, 07:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Another question... I cannot sleep worth crap. I get jolts of electrical feelings up my back. Is that normal. I get it. You cannot reply if it's "medical".
Old 10-23-2016, 07:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

It's not about not having cravings.

If not having cravings or thoughts of getting loaded were a prerequisite for staying clean/sober, everyone on this site would be a newcomer, and long term recovery would be impossible.

Recovery isn't about it becoming easy, or learning a secret where it all just clicks, or other people recovering for you.

If you want to get loaded there isn't a thing any of us can do about it, and to be honest I doubt you would want us to.

When you seriously want to stay clean/sober despite your cravings and despite how difficult it may be, then it is possible for others to help you.

My personal discovery is when I crossed this threshold I was willing to do things that I had previously been unwilling to do, and to accept help from people I had previously been unwilling to consult.

Do I still think about getting loaded? Sure, just not all that often, and I have developed the ability to be honest with myself about where that would bring me. - That said, the constant obsession to use is gone. This takes time, and it is different for everyone in terms of just how much time that takes.

Are you ready to recover, or are you waiting for it to get easy?
Old 10-23-2016, 08:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Exercise. Food. Movies. Driving in my sports car (never under the influence). I have also tried books but I can never focus. You are the "king" of this site Dee, and I sincerely appreciate your reply.
Doing stuff can be a part of recovery but I think any real success needs to focus on the nuts and bolts of not drinking.

I really believe in making a plan.This is a great link for helping you think about what a plan might be for you.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D

ps thanks for the kind words but I'm just one of many folks who want to help here. Using SR regularly will really help you
Old 10-24-2016, 03:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi, Shell.

You know you've got to have a plan.

And "playing the tape through to the end"--imagining graphically the miserable results if you do take a drink--really helps you to want to avoid disaster.

But for me there were times when all my recovery tools just seemed like "blah, blah, blah," because alcohol was in my face and I WANTED IT!

It was at these times that I just had to TIE MYSELF TO THE MAST OF THE SHIP and tough it out, like Ulysses when he was trying to resist the seductive call of the Sirens, who beckoned him so that they could destroy him.

I just had to grit my teeth and suffer.

I asked for help from the Lord:
1 Corinthians 10:13--
"No temptation has overtaken you except that which is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it."

My way out was reaching out to friends (usually here) through the day and even at night. I did not fear sounding like a broken record.

It made me want to scream--but I had to face it and withstand it.

Eventually the most horrible part of it did go away. In the midst of it, the torture felt never-ending; but actually, once I determined to resist it, it died away surprisingly quickly.

And once you prove to yourself that you can go through the very worst without caving, you will be greatly strengthened to face any further challenges.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Shell, I know this will sound strange, but have you given up? I don't mean given up trying to stay sober...but truly admitted that you are powerless over alcohol? For me, when I truly understood that Alcohol will win every fight with me, that when I put myself in the ring with a bottle, I will lose every fight. When I understood that the only way for me to win that fight....was to NOT fight any more, it became my first few days sober...then with A LOT of help from others in recovery(treatment, meetings etc.)...it became a few more and so on. Alcohol will try every avenue to get you back in the ring....it is up to us to say...nah, you don't fight fair, I quit......

I am glad you are here......
Old 10-24-2016, 03:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shellshocked444 View Post
I have tried AA... sorry. Hated it. Not me. Not spiritual, not religious. Don't believe in a thing.

Shell
is that the only recovery program you've looked into and tried?
Old 10-24-2016, 04:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Shell, I missed the post in which you said you weren't religious.

I'm always glad to share, but never intend to foist.

No offense meant.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I don't think it's impossible for anyone Shell to stop drinking, it can be done.

A solid recovery plan with plenty of new habits, new activities, daily regular support and updating that plan to include more and more could finally crack this for you.

I think it's best to stop focusing on what you've already tried or what you've crossed off the list, and start focusing on what you're going to try next and how you're planning on beating this!!

It can be done!!