Sister addicted to meth

Old 10-22-2016, 04:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sister addicted to meth

My sister almost 40 yo, fell to meth addiction this summer. She is a daily iv user. Her husband is also using and has always had drug and many more problems. Within months she was no longer working and her kids were taken away. She doesn't live in the same state as me and has almost ceased contact with me besides a couple of texts here and there when she responds to my I love you texts. The day and weeks after I found out, it felt like I almost lost my breath. I couldn't eat, sleep, or concentrate on anything. I would go to the bathroom and cry at work which is tough not holding it together when you work with kids. Anyway, I immediately researched meth and read book after book about it. I came to the conclusion that I need to communicate that I love her but that I have no pull whatsoever over talking her into treatment. I know this is drastic but I feel like I'm almost preparring for her death. She is my only sister and my mom just died and my dad is sick (Although stable and I'm hoping he will live a long time). This is really stressing him though and I'm worried about the impact on his health. I don't want to lose my sister. Any thoughts out there on this particular drug? Nothing I hear ever sounds hopeful and there are no signs so far of a change in fact I kinda feel like when she lost her kids and didn't stop it was the sign that we are in serious life and death territory. She has completely disconnected with everything. Also the court documents we read revealed a lot of dark stuff that has always been happening in the house. Her husband had a serious drug and violence problem before and she had issues with drugs also although not to the level it's at now. She has an addiction to him and always has. I have never understood it because he is intolerable to be around, a bully and narcissistic. My sister is always just quiet and never complains about him as he runs everything. The kids are with family and are safe by the way. Traumatized but safe. What are the chances this issue could get resolved? I feel like it's hopeless and then feel bad for feeling that way. Anyone out there who has had a family member dealing with meth on this level. Thoughts? Also when my mom was dying I could talk about it with those around me and my work knew something was going on. This situation is different. I feel like I'm trying to pretend I'm normal cause I can't talk about why I'm not. I saw a therapist a couple of times but didn't feel like I got a lot from them (I went to two). I just feel like they don't have anything to offer to make this better.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am so sorry, Auntie2. I can hear the pain in your post.

I can't offer you much from experience, but I feel that you will find lots of support here, and understanding.

I do know that some people recover from meth use. So there is always hope.

Remember to take care of yourself... worrying won't change anything, and will take its toll on your health. its hard to find a balance when its someone you love so much.

I hope that she finds recovery, and just knowing that you love her must give her great comfort in a world full of uncertainty and pain.

prayers..
Old 10-23-2016, 10:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry to read your post, and all the pain it holds. My son-in-law has two years clean from both meth and heroin, and his life was a wreck for a long time before that. People can recover, so it is reasonable to keep that hope alive.

That said, you may want to find a meeting where you can have the support and experience of others, in a face-to-face setting. I recommend NarAnon because it deals specifically with illegal drug use by loved ones, but you can also find support at AlAnon, Celebrate Recovery, CRAFT, etc. Look on this website for info, or just google it. Being around others, even if you only go every once in a while, can be a real help when you feel anxious, powerless, sad, and hopeless. There are so many ups and downs on this journey that it is good to have a support system in place.

I am glad her kids are safe. Take care.