Notices

Exercise to Reduce Anxiety

Old 10-22-2016, 01:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exercise to Reduce Anxiety

I've seen a few comments from people here that exercise can help to reduce anxiety. If you've done this, what has worked for you? I've gone on walks, which helps a bit, but I'd be interested in other ideas, too. I'll state right up front, though, that yoga isn't my thing.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was just about to suggest yoga. Haha sorry... other than that, I really don't enjoy exercising. When I had a dog, however, it was really invigorating to plug in my headphones and go for runs with her around town.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Walking/hiking/biking works for me and has from the beginning. It gets me out of my head and focusing on what's going on around me. That helps to reduce anxiety for me. And, there are so many other benefits from walking, too.
Being outside makes all the difference for me. I hope you find something that works for you.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Going on walks and yoga help me with anxiety. Walking helps me clear my head, and yoga helps me to just calm, I think I could stay in child's pose all day!
Old 10-22-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm embarrassed to say that I don't even own a bike. I should probably invest in one someday. Exercise is sorely lacking my life.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Most all doctors agree that bicycle riding is one of the best.

I do a simple 20 mile flat ride around Mission Bay once a week. I sure feel good on those days and for a day or two after.

Use it or lose it.

MM
Old 10-22-2016, 03:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CajunPrincess View Post
I was just about to suggest yoga. Haha sorry... other than that, I really don't enjoy exercising. When I had a dog, however, it was really invigorating to plug in my headphones and go for runs with her around town.
Expanding on this -- I can't recommend enough walking dogs for your local humane society/animal shelter. The dogs will distract you and cheer you up, they'll work the snot out of you if take out the bigger/stronger ones, and if you're like me you'll stagger home wiped out but feeling good about the exercise you got and that you did an act of service at the same time. I lost weight too. Win/win/win!

It's one of the most rewarding things I've ever done.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I alternate days...card and weights. 4 on 1 off. Sometimes 2 off.

Baby steps. I push myself so I make progress. It has been slow, but now clean, it is doable. When I was a drunk I stopped working out totally. My body went really down hill.

I am so much better now. Physically I am strong. Mentally, getting better still.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

High intensity cardio. No need for anything more than youtube. Or put some music on and dance your butt off. I LOVE that
I also really like some focused strength training, just done at home using me and maybe some light weights or tension bands. Strong muscles feel good.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Cardio for sure- it's so therapeutic for me. I have an elliptical, used to have a treadmill, but brisk walks/jogs can get my heart up too.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just got back from a nice walk. I think it helped a little.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
AA Member

i do an hour of hard cardio (almost) everyday on my recumbent stationary bike in the garage with plenty of LOUD music

need to burn off that adrenalized anger

one of my many defects of character

Old 10-22-2016, 05:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I run to help deal with my anxiety.

Through observation and experience, I have come to the conclusion that it is necessary for me to run regularly to feel good, as well as eliminate the racing pulse, elevated heartbeat and similar anxiety related symptoms that can strike me in particular work-related situations. I feel very different on days when I do not run compared to days when I do. Gym classes that get the heart pumping are also helpful.

I have accepted that regular exercise is a very important part of my recovery. Apart from reducing anxiety, it has important benefits for me in improving all-round physical health, calmness, mood and self-esteem.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My many dog walks are the high point of my days. The sunshine and fresh air and exercise do us all good. It gets me out of my head and makes me aware of nature all around me. I also like watching my dogs just 'being dogs', sniffing and looking around, checking and sending peemail.

If you have a dog, start taking it for walks. If no dog, can you adopt a lonely dog? You'll have love for life and a constant walking buddy. Having dogs and cats living with me reduces my anxiety. It's especially soothing to pet them.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I don't have a dog, but my folks live nearby and have a very feisty one. I never thought to go take him on walks, but that would be a good idea. He'd love me for it, and I'd get some exercise, to boot.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I mostly do weight lifting and it for sure is a big help in reducing stress and even alcohol cravings. Many people have found solid sobriety in fitness.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Exercise definitely helps anxiety. I find doing it daily, as if it were a med, yields the best results. I need exercise that really gets the heart rate up: hot yoga, running, hiking uphill. It is a huge part of recovery for me.....
Old 10-22-2016, 08:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I like to ride my bike and to swim. Swimming takes me out of my head.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Three days a week long distance trail runs 2-5 miles a clip. One or two days a week hill sprints. Heavy bag twice a week with pushups and mountain climbers mixed in. Tractor tire flips with sledge work mixed in. Hopefully I will have a weight set in the near future and can start to lift heavy again. Exercise kills anxiety and breeds confidence. If I miss a few days for work reasons I get crabby.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Oh yes, I love swimming too. Pool swimming is great but freshwater or ocean swimming is delamaze especially when you are most landlocked.

There is also the between the sheets two person polka if you're looking for that good dose of endorphin rush along with some calorie burning.