Notices

The right path

Old 10-22-2016, 06:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The right path

Hi,

I'm a little over two weeks shy of a year sober and I was wondering how does one know they're on the right path? I hear a lot about relapse and I'm trying to figure out how to consistently check myself and make sure I don't slip. Any advice? Thoughts?

Thanks
Old 10-22-2016, 06:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi Roger

for me if I'm happy with who I am, and the life I'm leading, and I'm not wanting to drink I'm on the right track.

I don;t think it needs to be a complex formula

D
Old 10-22-2016, 06:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Well, for me, I decided that nothing would ever be an excuse to drink. It simply became Not. An. Option. in any circumstance. As I got through many devastating times in my life without going back to substances, I realized that while life is often hard - sometimes seemingly impossible - that has zero bearing on remaining abstinent. For me, doubt and fear are roadblocks to true freedom. I choose to be confident instead.

I don't want alcohol to control me in any way- that includes constantly thinking about not drinking it! To me, that's just another kind of prison.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA Member

my biggest tool against relapse is to stay in service to others

gets me out of self

myself is the real problem

Old 10-22-2016, 11:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Steps 10, 11, 12 ... the Daily Steps.

Keeps me Happy, Joyous and FREE.

Like taking candy from a Baby ... then giving it Love, wholesome nutrition, a stable and promising environment to live and grow in ...

RDBplus3 ... happy, Joyous and FREE ... it's a Wonderful thing ... and an absolute PROMISE and GUARANTEE ... as long as I continue doing ...
Steps 10, 11, 12 ... the Daily Steps
Old 10-23-2016, 09:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

2 Weeks is fantastic Roger!!

Make sure your plan is extensive, then it's all about executing that plan, do it each day and there's nothing to worry about, keep pushing through!!
Old 10-23-2016, 10:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RogerD View Post
Hi,

I'm a little over two weeks shy of a year sober and I was wondering how does one know they're on the right path? I hear a lot about relapse and I'm trying to figure out how to consistently check myself and make sure I don't slip. Any advice? Thoughts?

Thanks
Congrats on your milestone! A year is fantastic
I'm glad you asked this question. I'm at 20 months. I hear of slips happening after decades of recovery and wonder how that happens and how to prevent it.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Well, for me, I decided that nothing would ever be an excuse to drink. It simply became Not. An. Option. in any circumstance. As I got through many devastating times in my life without going back to substances, I realized that while life is often hard - sometimes seemingly impossible - that has zero bearing on remaining abstinent. For me, doubt and fear are roadblocks to true freedom. I choose to be confident instead.

I don't want alcohol to control me in any way- that includes constantly thinking about not drinking it! To me, that's just another kind of prison.
I second this!!!!!!

RogerD, first, congratulations on coming up on a year!!!

I had 17 months sober and relapsed. I fully credit my relapse to two things.

1. Over a period of time I walked away from every sober tool I had developed. I stopped going to meetings, didn't frequent this board as much, and switched out volunteering on weekend nights to weeknights. That last one should have been a hammer in the head as to what I was up to but I let myself become complacent and move more towards that denial.

2. I failed to stay mindful. The further I was separated from the reasons that I quit (coupled with #1 above) the easier it was for me to deny just how bad it was. In turn, the easier it was made for me to say that it might be ok to drink "once in a while" (famous last words).

I know that there are three words that can never be spoken in sobriety and be true. Ever. Those words are "I got this". By this I mean there must always be mindfulness and active recovery. What "active" means may change over a period of time but there will never be room for complacency.

By the way, the fact that you're asking is a good sign that you're on the right path
Old 10-23-2016, 01:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it comes down to how you feel when you put your head on the pillow at night and how you feel when you wake up. There are always ups and downs in life and challenges that come along. But, if you find the place of peace within yourself I think you will always stay on the right path. Congratulations on your recovery.