Notices

Propranolol?

Old 10-21-2016, 04:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Propranolol?

Hello there.

I would be very interested to hear anyones' experiences with this drug...

How did it help you?

Did it help you?

What side effects did you experience?

Lat time I tried it I felt insanely tired (in bed by 8pm and then not able to get up in the morning), so stopped quite abruptly which according to my Doctor was a big 'no no'...

I also found this article - Propranolol will make addicts forget they want a drink | Daily Mail Onlinel - while looking through Google, and when I think back I imagined I was partly off drinking because I didn't know what would happen if I drank and took the drugs, and because I was so tired in the evenings, I just wanted to go to bed - but I had zero cravings...

(P.S. I would not take anything the 'Daily Mail' says too seriously, but I guess the research is legitimate...)

Thanks for any responses
Old 10-21-2016, 05:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Antabuse has worked for a very long time....
Old 10-21-2016, 05:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've never seen any medication work for an alcoholic. In theory it does. I've never seen it though. I've seen people drink (and almost die) on antabuse (heart attacks and surgery required) as well as seen people drink on Vivitrol and slip into a coma. I think the problem is that sane and rational doctors come up with medications to treat an INSANE and IRRATIONAL disease. 1+1 = 2. They've proved it to be so. It is NOT so with alcoholics.

AA was the solution for me. No drugs. No chemicals to treat my illness ever seemed to work. But AA (working the 12 steps NOT just sitting in meetings) worked a miracle.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd suggest checking with your doctor, I have no personal experience with that drug myself.

One thing I have seen over and over though is that many of us hoped or hope for a magic pill that will "cure" our alcoholism. There are certainly drugs that can help in the process, but nearly all of them are designed to be used in conjunction with a solid recovery program/plan. AKA - there's no substitute for the necessary/hard work we all need to do.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

There's no magic pill. Yes, these drugs can help in the beginning with the physical cravings, but there's a lot of other work that needs to be done in order for us alcoholics to heal psychologically so that the desire to drink is removed forever. Medications need to be backed up by a solid recovery program.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I took propranolol for years - not for alcohol, I took it because I got crippling migraines many times a month. I wasn't even drinking at the time, and I think it is highly recommended to NOT drink while using propranolol.

I can see where it could help with anxiety, it does work to slow a rapid heartbeat - I have read some people take it (not sure if off-label) for episodic things like anxiety before some event. It does tend to tamp everything down. I think its main use is for blood pressure (?)

I felt slow and unmotivated.

If your doctor prescribed it, make sure he/she knows if you are a drinker. That sounds like a bad combo.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've never heard of it being used for alcoholism, though it does have some off label use as an occasional anti-anxiety med. I had my doc prescribe it for me for my anxiety, but decided not to take it as it has a laundry list of side effects.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I take it when I do public speaking- It keeps my heart rate in check to avoid hyperventilating. (not a good thing if you're standing in front of 50 people to make a presentation!!)
I do not notice any side effects.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I use propranalol on average 3 to 5 times a year, specifically to help with social anxiety when I have a speaking engagement. For me it works wonders. It's a blessing to be able to stand in front of a room without my heart pounding out of my chest, sweaty palms, a massive knot in my stomach, and my mind alternating between racing and going completely blank.

My prescribed dosage is 40mg to be taken roughly 30 minutes before the event. In my experience there is no perceptible change in how I feel when the drug takes effect. There is no sedation, drowsiness or mental fog. Rather, for me it's the absence of a sense of overwhelm and panic. The anxiety is not entirely eliminated, but it reduces to manageable levels that allow me to be present and meaningfully participate.

For me the drug has very few side effects. The one thing I have noticed is that when it wears off several hours later, I sometimes get this heavy, drained feeling - a bit of that cracked out feeling like when you have a super early morning flight and are sitting at the airport gate waiting while drinking coffee after getting only 4 hours of sleep.

I would not mix alcohol and propranalol. In my drinking days I once took some and then went to a night club and let it rip with the alcohol. While I was dancing I got really light headed and thought I was going to pass out. It was a scary experience. Granted, I was binge drinking; but based on that I wouldn't want to mix the two.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses folks

I told my Docotor everything (how much I was drinking, that I could not give up etc.), and asked for something to 'ease' the withdrawals, as I mentioned on my previous post he told me to taper, told me I was not an alcoholic (I had suffered withdrawals quite badly), but suffering from extreme anxiety, and this is what he sent me away with :/

I'm not quite sure what to make of it, but I guess we're programmed to 'trust' Doctors.

But if you can't drink and take these, I am surprised he told me to take them AND taper...
Old 10-21-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm not sure why that is, but quite a few people also from the UK have said when speaking with their docs, they simply tell them to just taper. That is something most alcoholics have a very difficult, if not impossible time doing. I would maybe talk with them again about getting you on proper withdrawal medication.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

At least it isn't one of the addictive ones, like benzos.

Just stop drinking. That's the important thing. You can do it.

I'm in the US, but I know the UK has this taper thing. I tapered by myself at home. That's how I quit. No medical help. No drugs. I just tapered. It took me three or four days. Yeah, it was very uncomfortable. Yeah, anxiety. Lots. The anxiety didn't end in a week, it took months.

If your doctor says take the propranolol and taper, then do that. We aren't medical professionals.

Don't listen to us. I just felt so slowed down when I took it that I instinctively thought it would be bad FOR ME to drink while on it.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone all your replies are so helpful!

I'm still 'tapering' but it is SO hard, I'm sat here thinking 'Well I've had one glass... (To ease the anxiety - it is crippling ) So why not have another just to make sure... And then maybe one more just to make me feel normal (whatever 'normal' is) all the while conscious of how I will feel in the morning (It has been a while since I let alcohol get me to sleep - and the insomnia is driving me insane!) I am desperate to break the cycle...
Old 10-21-2016, 02:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Cassie ,I am from the UK and I can assure you that Propranolol is a Beta Blocker , my wife took it for over 25 years for an ''irregular heartbeat '' .

Don't know the connection with alcohol I know it regulates the heart as in a steady heartbeat , perhaps it slows down the nervous system also ? .

Stevie recovered 12 03 2006
Old 10-21-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Mr

Stevieg is correct. Its a beta blocker.
Its used to steady or slow down the heart thus is often used for apprehension or anxiety. I used it for public speaking at company events. Its a powerful molecule 1/4 of a tablet was enough... You should ask your Dr why propranalol he must have some explanation.
Take care.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Cassie, anxiety and insomnia is par for the course. It is all part of the detox/withdrawal process.

You just have to accept that you're going to be uncomfortable. Don't keep drinking. It's a temporary thing - you WILL get past this.

Just hang on. If you can't sleep, take a shower, watch TV, read here on the Anxiety forums...

It will pass. Every time you go back to drinking it will get worse, so if you've jumped down to two or less, I say tomorrow don't have any.

You've got this.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
sober style

I used to take atenolol for my BP which is similar, both are beta blockers. I didn't like how it made me feel. Listless, a little down. So glad I got off all the BP meds.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You might want to get a second opinion. Maybe seek out a physician who has some experience with treating alcohol withdrawal.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Propranolol

Hi guys just thought I’d share.Today I went to my doc for anxiety after managing for 3 months by myself after quitting.She prescribed propranolol 3 times a day or when I need it.It is so far stoping the physical symptoms from manefesting,panic high heart rate sweating and breathlessness.The anxiety is still there but my body isn’t reacting to it.I’m calm for the first time in 3 months and it seems to be doing the trick.No side effects yet but time will tell.I tapered too but they no longer advise that here in the U.K. they give you a number for an addiction clinic.I never rang it though.Its working for me just thought I’d pipe in lol
Old 03-30-2018, 03:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have had both slow and fast release for hypertension and anxiety. Havnt noticed it work for anxiety.