Anyone else dealing with anxiety issues?

Old 10-20-2016, 11:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone else dealing with anxiety issues?

Since my fiances return to rehab I didn't think I was dealing too badly.... however I ended up in the hospital Monday night with severe dizziness and weakness. My heart rate was through the roof and my blood pressure was extremely low... they even did an ekg on me because of my increased heart rate. They chalked it up to dehydration and anxiety but I haven't felt myself all week... I am weak and dizzy and I feel so anxious that I can hardly make it though work. I guess all of this stress has finally caught up to me although I never was one to have high anxiety... anyone feeling the same ways?
Old 10-20-2016, 01:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nelly1 View Post
Since my fiances return to rehab I didn't think I was dealing too badly.... however I ended up in the hospital Monday night with severe dizziness and weakness. My heart rate was through the roof and my blood pressure was extremely low... they even did an ekg on me because of my increased heart rate. They chalked it up to dehydration and anxiety but I haven't felt myself all week... I am weak and dizzy and I feel so anxious that I can hardly make it though work. I guess all of this stress has finally caught up to me although I never was one to have high anxiety... anyone feeling the same ways?
I had a similar experience when my x was in rehab. I was hospitalized with a severe electrolyte imbalance- they too my blood and the technician said to me, "I don't know how you're even having a conversation with me right now". I was given IV fluids and cautioned to take better care of myself, or else...

And silly me, I let my x use that to his advantage. He was just so worried about his wifey! He needed to come home. Oh, please- could he do outpatient? He promises to be good! He's done with drugs forever. He just wants to be home to take care of me!

I let him come home.

Yeah, that worked out great.

Don't let that happen to you! Take good care of yourself, and if he tries to convince you you need him to do so, don't fall for it.

Wishing you good health and healing.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have terrible anxiety in general but have semi good management over it as I've had to learn to live with it and I don't like taking medications. So, dealing with the situation I'm in, I do believe it's caught up to you as its been really affecting me and the dizziness is all too real now.
Take care of yourself - eating right, exercise and good sleep has always helped me manage mine however our situations with this other person we love are not helping us. Try to take time out of your day to focus on you foremost.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am not usually an anxious person either. But this week so far I have not felt quite right. I can't put my finger on it. Today is really dark and that doesn't help. I know I need to get some things done and that will make me feel better; "fake it till you make it?" Perhaps. I'm going to give a go and then take a jacuzzi and go from there. Hang tight. This feeling will not last and things will change.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Let's see...when my then AGF went into rehab the first time after popping 100 Percocet in less than 48 hours, anxious wasn't the word I'd use to describe what I was feeling. When she overdosed two months later, I was more sick to my stomach than anything. Everyone's different, Nelly.

I think the scariest thing for all of us to do in your situation is to let go and to allow whatever process that is supposed to occur happen on its own timetable. And the truth is that he's out of your hands right now. He's got some decisions to make about how his life's going to go from this moment on. Frankly, you do, too.

But let's set that aside for now. Rest. Hydrate. Eat well. Perhaps treat yourself to something that you wouldn't ordinarily treat yourself to. Hydrate will help regulate your moods by flushing out the cortisol in your system. Stay away from booze. Spend time with friends and/or doing things you enjoy doing. Most of all, stay in the moment. Don't worry about what's going to happen tomorrow. Just be in the now.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your replies! It was the scariest thing and still is this dizziness and weak feeling! I'm trying to keep my cool and calm down saying "this is all in your head" but I just feel completely exhausted! My fiancé called when I was in the ER and was so upset he wasn't there but I said absolutely no to him coming, told him I'd be fine and would call the desk and leave a message for him when I was discharged! I honestly think with work, my masters degree program, and taking care of the house and all Of the bills while he is gone I am just losing it! I guess you don't know how exhausted you are until your hooked to an iv lol! I am hoping to get this anxiety under control.... like I said, I really have no room to be sick..., I need to handle everything alone for the time being! I'm also completely against any medication (that's what being with an addict does to you)!!! A big NO to the pharmaceutical companies from this girl! I'll keep sipping my herbal tea and drinking my water lol!!
Old 10-20-2016, 08:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Nelly...if the dizziness and weakness continues....I think it would be a good idea to follow up with your doctor. Persistant symptoms are not to be ignored....
It could be stress but it could be something else..because those are symptoms of many other things, also.
I have worked in hospitals, including ERs...and somethings can be missed. Even just one EKG can miss some things, too.
What follow up instructions did they give you on discharge?

I'm just saying.....
Old 10-20-2016, 09:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Nelly...if the dizziness and weakness continues....I think it would be a good idea to follow up with your doctor. Persistant symptoms are not to be ignored....
It could be stress but it could be something else..because those are symptoms of many other things, also.
I have worked in hospitals, including ERs...and somethings can be missed. Even just one EKG can miss some things, too.
What follow up instructions did they give you on discharge?

I'm just saying.....
Honestly once they gave me fluids and the ekg.... they came back hours later and told me all of my labs were normal they suggested i drink my weight in water and told me "water would be my new best friend" that's it!! I was a little shocked at that because I'm not the type to ever complain... so if I'm at a hospital SOMETHINGS wrong!!!! I felt a little foolish for going because I felt like they thought I just had anxiety and went to the hospital because I couldn't handle it..... that wasn't the case! I had literally felt weak for days and dizziness at work had gotten out of hand! I literally felt like I was dying and still am not feeling great.... and all they said was "drink water" even though they said my labs showed no signs of dehydration.... ridiculous
Old 10-20-2016, 10:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i sit with it and know it will pass or I get on my bike and ride, going through a divorce is causing me anxiety right know keeping calm i am going for a ride now, good luck nelly
Old 10-20-2016, 10:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Nelly.....honestly, I would make an appointment with an internist or a primary care doctor....seriously.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Nelly.....honestly, I would make an appointment with an internist or a primary care doctor....seriously.
Thanks dandylion! They diagnosed me with orthostatic hypotension (low blood pressure) which runs in my family. I think when I start to get dizzy then I panic and that's when things get really bad I'm only 27. Don't smoke, drink, aren't overweight so they assume I'm just having an anxiety attack.... frustrating when you feel like people aren't listening to you!!
Old 10-21-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Nelly....do you know the controlled breathing exercises that are used to abort an oncoming anxiety attack? They work.
It is impossible to know how many items were checked on your lab work....I would be curious if there were any thyroid function tests on there....

I am not saying that there IS anything else, illness wise, going on...It is just that when you are having such a hard time with physical symptoms...it is good to have close medical supervision.....

There are lots of techniques for dealing with anxiety and panic attacks that do not involve medications.
It certainly does sound like you have gotten overextended with the pressures of your current situation....
Another kind of doctor that could help you would be a psychologist that treats anxiety to help you learn to manage it.....
Anxiety is the most common disorder, world wide--even more than depression!
It is very treatable......
At baseline, I think more self care would be good for you, right now...as others have suggested.....
Old 10-22-2016, 05:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nelly1 View Post
I guess all of this stress has finally caught up to me although I never was one to have high anxiety... anyone feeling the same ways?
Hi, Nelly. Thinking of you and wanting to share my thoughts.

What Dandylion offers in prior posts stands out; valuable and constructive information.

Anxiety was my constant companion in years past, while eventually, I learned to work on making some changes to help manage it. Throughout that process, I came to see some of what I was doing was intensifying my anxiety; for example, using caffeine and nicotine.

Hoping you can get some relief and wishing you good health.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Nelly...I am sorry you ended up in the hospital. I'm sure that was very scary and eye opening. It's amazing what stress can do to the body. I suffer from terrible anxiety due to my divorce and child custody battle I have going on. It's all consuming and I am extremely anxious about the upcoming mediation/possible trial coming up. My ex is not an honest man and things are going to come out when we go to court. I am so nervous about it all. I definitely don't want to rely on medications but I am having trouble with the natural remedies to reduce anxiety. My therapist says I should be on meds but I really don't want to go that route. Anyways, I am glad you are ok and know you are not alone. My anxiety is at an all time high.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunshine1234 View Post
Nelly...I am sorry you ended up in the hospital. I'm sure that was very scary and eye opening. It's amazing what stress can do to the body. I suffer from terrible anxiety due to my divorce and child custody battle I have going on. It's all consuming and I am extremely anxious about the upcoming mediation/possible trial coming up. My ex is not an honest man and things are going to come out when we go to court. I am so nervous about it all. I definitely don't want to rely on medications but I am having trouble with the natural remedies to reduce anxiety. My therapist says I should be on meds but I really don't want to go that route. Anyways, I am glad you are ok and know you are not alone. My anxiety is at an all time high.
Thanks so much! Sorry you are going through such an awful ordeal! I am just absolutely dead set against meds.... doctors are way too quick with the pen these days, and being around an addict has made me not even want to put so much as a Tylenol in my system. The whole prescription drug world just upsets me.... I have been drinking herbal teas for this anxiety along with Passion flower which is supposed to be a miracle herb for anxiety (I don't see much calming on it though) .... none the less I think with what we have all been through it would taken elephant tranquilizers to calm us down lol:... i hope you find the peace you so deserve xoxox