Notices

Hopefully my last day 1 of sobriety....

Old 10-19-2016, 08:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hopefully my last day 1 of sobriety....

Hello all! I just joined today and would be grateful for someone to show me the ropes 'round here .
I am an alcoholic. I have an amazing husband who is so patient and understanding with me- 2 amazing children - and I do not want to live this life anymore. I want to be freed of Vodkas chains. I need all the help I can get.
Thanks
Old 10-19-2016, 08:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA Member

hi bishop

in recovery we share our experiences

i went to aa and got help

i went to meetings and drank for a while until i had enough pain to become willing to follow direction

meetings
sponsor
steps
service
higher power

God bless

Old 10-19-2016, 08:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I live in a small town and no one besides my husband and best friend know that I have a problem. I'm ready to stop but I'm not ready to make it public I feel as though AA is public even though it is not supposed to be :/ especially here in this small town...
thank you for your response and God bless u as well.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The "sticky" threads helped me a lot when I first joined. They detail what to expect on detoxing and good information on how to stay sober afterwards. You may even want to check in with a doctor to help you through the beginning. Hope that helped!
Old 10-19-2016, 04:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Bishop!!
Old 10-19-2016, 04:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Bishop

D
Old 10-19-2016, 04:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're so happy to have you here, Bishop. I'm glad you want to make this big change in your life.

Reading and posting here really helped me - I knew I never had to feel alone anymore. People in my life just didn't understand what I was going through - everyone was a social drinker. By the time I quit I was completely dependent on alcohol to get through the day. It was a horrible way to live. It's wonderful to be free. You can do it.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Just a Girl Trying to Make It...

Welcome, Bishop!
Old 10-19-2016, 06:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Bishop- welcome. I think someone on the other thread where you posted suggested joining the October Class under the Newcomers Daily Support Threads section. There is a group for each month people stop drinking so other October peeps will be there.

I am a dedicated AA-er myself. There are other programs that work for plenty of folks and the key is finding a PLAN and a PROGRAM that will work for you. And committing to it; you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink, period. You can do it. SR can be a great part of your recovery toolbox; personally, IRL support is crucial for me and SR is a good adjunct.

Many people worry about the non-anonymous issue with AA; my boyfriend has a fairly high profile job in his community (he lives in a suburb of Atlanta and I live in the city proper) and was slow to feel comfortable going to AA for similar reasons as you say. He has started going with me, and we usually go to "my" meetings, but as his comfort level with his entire life of sobriety goes, any concern about "people knowing" has all but disappeared. Just some thoughts on that sensitive topic for you.

You obviously have a lot to live for. There is absolutely nothing in the world that isn't better sober. You can do it. See you around here!
Old 10-19-2016, 06:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
sober style

Freed of vodka's chains, I love that. You can do it, Bishop! SR can help, lots of great resources here. All the best to you, glad to have you on the team. Maybe join the October 2016 group here. I was in the June 2016 group, and it really helped me when I was starting out. I'm 133 days sober now.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 10-19-2016, 09:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Bishop
Old 10-19-2016, 11:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!
I agree, I read almost all the stickies when I first came here. Some of them I read over again as time passes. Read and read lots on here. So glad you're here. This place has been a huge help and blessing in my recovery tool box.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome. Good stuff here. Keep coming back!
Old 10-20-2016, 05:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome! Yes, vodka, my big downfall as well.

As for AA meetings - I feel the same exact way. I live in a town of gossips. At this point, I don't need anyone in my town knowing because I have hardly any friends as it is and it may affect my kids. My kids don't need other moms forbidding their kids from hanging with mine because they know I am an alcoholic.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I got sober in small town,Mi. yup, lots of little gossipy groups of people.
but id rather them talk about me walkin into an AA meeting, a place where I was getting help, then talkin about me stumbling knee walkin drunk out of a bar, where I was causing problems.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your responses! Well day 1 is done and I'm feeling good about that but I have had so many day 1s it's too many to count. And here comes the weekend.... I can already tell this site is going to be a huge help to me! How do I get in on the October class you guys are talking about?
Old 10-20-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
sober style

Originally Posted by Bishop32 View Post
Thank you all for your responses! Well day 1 is done and I'm feeling good about that but I have had so many day 1s it's too many to count. And here comes the weekend.... I can already tell this site is going to be a huge help to me! How do I get in on the October class you guys are talking about?
This is the thread, just go in there and say you're joining. Everybody is free to join in. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-2-a-2.html
Old 10-20-2016, 12:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome stay close to SR it really makes a difference